2 problems with the WRT54G router.

Merithiel

n00b
First problem is that of my friend. He got one around half a year after I got one. First one he got didn't connect to the cable modem well. Second one could not open the 192.168.1.1 admin thingie. I couldn't open it on my computer either when I went to his place, so it was definitely a hardware issue on the router. Third one has a strange problem.

It authenticates fine. 2 computers connected to the router. Connects to the cable modem fine. However, while connected to a computer, once in a while. Approx every 5-10 minutes, it would disconnect and reconnect from the internet. Bad for gaming and downloading files, etc. Bad for everything. He isn't on PPPoE. He has a DHCP type config. Also, his upload/download speeds are capped way lower than they really are. His connection is a bit over 1 Mbps at peak(so far we've seen), but when connected to the router, he doesn't download or upload much faster than as if he were on a 128kbps modem. Any ideas?

As to my problem, I got my router a nice year or so ago. It has worked fine. Minus the EasySecurity BS which I hate more than anything Nurgle can create. Except the wireless is really screwed up. I can sit with my laptop computer exactly a foot away from the router antennae and every once in a while at irregular intervals, the connection will be lost and it will reauthenticate again, etc. The adapter I am using is the Pentium M one. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG. Quite sure it comes with all Pentium-M computers.

It's not as big a deal as the previous problem, but it is certainly annoying. For whenever I am unable to sit at my desk, it is really awkward to have to run a 10 foot ethernet from the router to wherever I happen to sit on the floor etc. Plus quite worried about either tripping on it or someone else doing the same.

Suggestions? Constructive criticism?

What kind of cable modem are you using?

Do the lights go out on the cable modem when you lose your connection?

Try connecting your machine directly to your router with a crossover and see if you are still seeing intermitent drops. Keep in mind you will be open to the internet completely. I would recommend a good firewall(not the windows one) and stay connected only as long as you need to be, the 5 minutes that you usually get kicked off.

Have you tried resetting everything on the linksys to make sure you have clean settings?

Have you tried using a different channel for the wireless?

Do you have any other devices that are using the 2.4Ghz range?

Are you using an encyrption key?(Probabaly won't make a difference)

First thing you were talking about where you couldnt connect to the admin console sounds like an IP address conflict. This might happen because your modem may have a built in router in it as well. I've had the same problem and when you unplug the modem from the router you can access the router.

The second problem about the connection dropping...there's a check box in the main setup console called Keep Alive, make sure it's checked, or by default the router will drop the connection I believe.

As for whatever other problems you might have mentioned, Im too tired to carefully read your whole post

Back