2 PC's - Need Feedback. HTPC.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
the i5 has twice the ram. the AMD has "better" onboard gpu. either should do, your call...

The i5 has twice the CPU performance as well. That AMD is an older Bulldozer-era APU.

If you are planning on using only hardware-accelerated video decode/encode this won't be an issue.

But if you plan on doing any software encoding or adding a discrete graphics card for more serious games, go for the Core i5.

Why not grab like an Intel NUC? Works fine for Kodi for me.. And my model is a few years old 2820 or something celeron. Never had any problems running Kodi for 1080p content. Unsure about 4k content, however. (as my one doesn't support 4k via HDMI anyway)

In terms of displaying video, both machines should be equally competent. The i5 has QuickSync which if you plan to transcode video is a nice bonus, and the i5 will also use less power which might make a difference if you're planning to leave the system on 24/7.

Thanks for the responses. Well, I'll only be running local content from hard drives/flash drives or via the internal HD with Kodi.
That's pretty much all I'll be using this PC to do, so if either of them can perform this task well, then maybe I should just go for the cheaper option. However, based on your responses it seems like paying the extra $100 should be a no-brainer.

Also, I considered a NUC but they can be a bit pricey for what I would want and this is supposed to be a cheapo computer for people who won't appreciate it. I'll save the NUC for my own HTPC build. ;- )

In the future is there a way for me to do a quick performance comparison between AMD and INTEL processors/GPU's?

Also, is there a really good site/forum for discussing HTPC stuff?

In the future is there a way for me to do a quick performance comparison between AMD and INTEL processors/GPU's

Processors are easy. Anandtech Bench tool lets you select two different processors to compare.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1603

Under the CPU Product Benchmarks, Select two different products and click "View Comparison." If any of the SAME benchmarks were run on the two processors, then you'll see the comparison in graph form.

This one compares Skylake i5 to to A10-7800.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1291?vs=1646

Getting integrated graphics comparisons is a lot harder, because gaming on these things requires a lot of compromise. It will come down to individual reviewers to do the work, and most won't.

I usually just search for reviews of the processor on Google and YouTube, and do a quick look to each if they tested integrated graphics or not.

Last edited:
Back