2 networks, 2 internet connections

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
so, i don't have an actual physical setup, i was simply inspired by this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1602758
and didn't really want to thread hi jack as i have questions that might not pertain to him.

Let's assume i have two internet connections and two routers. I specifically want all of the internet requests from routerA to go through internetA and all of the internet requests from routerB to go through internetB. Also, I do want the two routers connected so that i can access a file share on router B from router A and vice versa?

What are the possible setups that i can do?
will this work

Two subnets 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x, one dhcp server on each subnet (two total) and a third router inbetween the two subnets with dhcp turned off, nat turned off and simply sitting there connecting the two networks together?
Configure the inbetween router with two ip's 192.168.1.aaa and 192.168.2.aaa, and have router A and router B have a static route for 192.168.1 traffic or 192.168.2 traffic to go the inbetween router?

Basically your setup is what I want but I don't have a 3 routers, only 2.
Right now I am using 2 WNDR3700 v1 and v2 both flash with DD WRT.

they are connect using WIFI, setup as WDS AP and WDS Station on 5G band N-only.
I use IP 192.168.1.100 on router A, 192.168.1.110 on router B.
both router have their dhcp server.

does it have to be different sub net, I don't know. but I can see computers on other routers, so that's good for me :)

so, i don't have an actual physical setup, i was simply inspired by this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1602758
and didn't really want to thread hi jack as i have questions that might not pertain to him.

Let's assume i have two internet connections and two routers. I specifically want all of the internet requests from routerA to go through internetA and all of the internet requests from routerB to go through internetB. Also, I do want the two routers connected so that i can access a file share on router B from router A and vice versa?

What are the possible setups that i can do?
will this work

Two subnets 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x, one dhcp server on each subnet (two total) and a third router inbetween the two subnets with dhcp turned off, nat turned off and simply sitting there connecting the two networks together?
Configure the inbetween router with two ip's 192.168.1.aaa and 192.168.2.aaa, and have router A and router B have a static route for 192.168.1 traffic or 192.168.2 traffic to go the inbetween router?

are you trying to link the 2 together ? so you can surf each subnet / setup from what ever router you are on ?

ie, connected to router a and be able to see b's computers etc etc, and then connect to b and see everything on a ?

yes, i need each machine to be able to access the internet through its own internet connection. I don't want any of the machines to cross over to the other network for any internet access. And both networks need to be connected so that if i request a connection to a private ip the my router will route directly to the other network.

This doesn't necessarily need to be two separate subnets, I just couldn't think of any easy way of doing this as a single subnet but still make sure that each machine that requests a public ip (internet) connection goes through it's own internet connection and doesn't cross over to the other router.
Basically your setup is what I want but I don't have a 3 routers, only 2.
Right now I am using 2 WNDR3700 v1 and v2 both flash with DD WRT.

they are connect using WIFI, setup as WDS AP and WDS Station on 5G band N-only.
I use IP 192.168.1.100 on router A, 192.168.1.110 on router B.
both router have their dhcp server.

does it have to be different sub net, I don't know. but I can see computers on other routers, so that's good for me :)
I'm curious to see which dhcp server your machines connect to and therefor, which router they are assigned for internet use. I mean, it's generally not recommended having two dhcp servers on the same subnet, right?

I do this currently with 2 linksys/cisco WRVS4400n's

One unit is at the home of my subcontractors, the other is at his office in another city ( 20 min drive )

Both can talk to the printer either way 2 printers one at each location, a can talk to printer at both ends and b can talk to printer at both ends, HOWEVER end a out of town can't see his nas drive or computer or other computers on the network. BUT b can ( as the rule i setup )

this is via a VPN tunnel?
How are vpn tunnels handled (I've never set up a vpn)? Do routers usually have automatic secondary router functions present for the vpn tunnel. I ask because i thought whenever you connect two different networks you pretty much need a router connecting them, which is why i have a third router in my little example.

this is via a VPN tunnel?
How are vpn tunnels handled (I've never set up a vpn)? Do routers usually have automatic secondary router functions present for the vpn tunnel. I ask because i thought whenever you connect two different networks you pretty much need a router connecting them, which is why i have a third router in my little example.

Yes it is a vpn tunnel from unit a to unit b, i just ran the cd and it did it all for me, at that time i had no CLUE AT ALL how to setup vpn, now i can.

Office unit is 192.168.1.1
Home unit is 192.168.2.1

Office can talk to home printer that's it * ive turned and blocked the rest*
Home can talk to office, everything, even dvr and ip cams etc etc

Back