2 monitors - how to set one in portrait mode?

I just bought a 24" LG246WH to complement my 17" Samsung 710T (non-wide model). The Samsung screen can be pivoted and comes with Pivot Pro software to allow portrait mode. My intention was to use the LG as my main monitor in landscape-mode and the Samsung as my "extended monitor" in portrait mode. However, when I ran the Pivot Pro software, the image on my LG was rotated instead while the image on my Samsung remained unchanged. Are there some other settings or limitations that I should be aware of? For eg, do I need to set the Samsung as my main monitor instead? I hope not because that would not be very useful for me. Hope to hear from anyone who has any suggestions. Thanks.

did u try in nvidia/ati setting?

I downloaded ATI Tray Tools but again there is no option to rotate just the secondary monitor (currently, the Samsung). I guess I have no choice but to set the Samsung as my main monitor and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion.

if you can't do it via software, try switching the connections on the back of the video card.

if you can't do it via software, try switching the connections on the back of the video card.

That's an interesting suggestion. However, I will probably leave my current connections alone because I prefer my newer LG 24" monitor to be the one with the digital (DVI) connection and the older Samsung 17" to be connected thru VGA. My plan is to use the LG for most general purposes (Internet, videos and gaming) and the Samsung for the ocassional word-processing. That's why I would prefer only the Samsung to be in portrait mode.

thats fine, I didn't realize you're dealing with vga/dvi outputs. My current cards are all dvi x2.

Do you actually see a difference using vga vs. dvi?

thats fine, I didn't realize you're dealing with vga/dvi outputs. My current cards are all dvi x2.

Do you actually see a difference using vga vs. dvi?

not that i can see! in fact, my Samsung on VGA gives better colour than my LG on DVI but this could be due more to the different brands than the video connection.

as for setting the Samsung as my main monitor, i couldn't find a way to do it through the "Display Properties" tab. i suspect it may be set through the Bios setting so i will try that next failing which i may have to do what you suggest and swap the video connectors.

Try checking in the video card settings. I know for sure you can do this with NVRotate thats part of the Nvidia settings. It will allow you to switch either monitor in any direction. If you set the nView display mode to "Dualview" and then right-click the desktop and select and screen you want to rotate. I would imagine ATI had something similar, but there are 3rd party apps that do that too (just search around).

Thanks for all the responses.

I finally found the way to change the primary monitor was to use the ATI Catalyst Control. Funny thing is, I couldn't do it using the Advanced Setting earlier but tonight I used the Basic Setting with Wizard and it guided me through all the options including selecting the primary display!

My pivoting software (ATI Tray Tools) also works slightly different from NVidia (as described by cybereality) in that the pivoting only happens for the primary display but it achieves what i wanted.

Once again, thanks everyone!

Back