2 MCR320s in series.

Joni Nitro

Gawd
I am going to be building a new case soon and I am trying to get my cooling system straightened out. I will be cooling an i7 [email protected] and two 7850s. I have a test rig with just the 2 MCR320s each with 3 med yate loons, HeatKiller 3.0 LT, MCP655. Right now I idle at 30c and loaded with Linx after 20 runs it hits a max of 65c. Will these rads handle the 7850s also? I would like to keep things as quiet as possible and will be using a fan controller and I might add more fans to do push/pull on each.

Would an XSPC RX480 or 2 RX240s cool better and if so by how much?

I just dont want to change all my parts I already have for 1-5c drop. I could always drop the clock down on the 930, because I dont really need that much speed but I like it.

You will likely see very little change in your CPU temp even when adding the GPUs. Which version of the MCR320s do you have? The QP or the XP? Either one I feel will cool just fine for you.

I would recommend running your GPUs in parallel rather than series though, this will simply make things easier on your pump.

Some people may even suggest that you run your rads in parallel, but ive never had any issues running 2 large radiators in series.. The radiators provide very little restriction compared to the blocks.

I dont recall where the link is off the top of my head, but there is a cooling chart that shows that the added benifits of the RX series radiators over their EX series radiators (XSPC) are fairly marginal, and that the double thick rads just suck up more room, rather than offer true benefits.

Thanks for your reply. I have done a few systems, but each one is different. I could have easily separated the loops or ran dual pumps, but I am not going for any insane overclocks or running 3-4 gpus. I just want some extra cooling to I could have plenty on headroom and run low speed fans. I have room for another 240 rad. I know it's overkill but would allow me to add more gpus later.

Internally I could run 2 MCR 320s, 1 MCR 240, and 1 MCR 120. I am going to try to make this a least restrictive as possible minimizing 90s. If one pump isn't enough I already have a second one.

Sounds a little crazy, but that is kind of the point with this mod.

Sweet some new info regarding pumps and blocks in series. Been contemplating a WC build for my main gaming system. Found a quad 120mm fan radiator and was thinking of adding 2 single 120mm fans to assist with the GPU's cooling.

I think that the D5/655 pump could handle that easy, its a strong pump. And like was mentioned above, most radiators do not really add a lot of restriction. I think dual pumps and split loops are needed when everything inside your case as a waterblock on it or if you are using restrictive blocks.

That being said with all the sales going on this weekend I have been tempted just to get the NZXT Switch and doing a 320 up top and a 240 on the bottom. I wish I could find a case in that price range to mount two 320s in.

Well I have recently come upon an idea regarding that. HAILEA CHILLER. They are normally used to chill water for tropical fish tanks etc and can be temp controlled. Of course not sure how good they would be and 500+ for one that can chill 2000LPH of water is a step I have to think fully about before making as it would interfere with some of my other plans.

But if only doing a single system you could go with a smaller unit and pay less money. If I did it then it would be to handle 3 computers. Decisions decisions /lol

Dont forget to factor in power consumption as well. I bet the power company would love for you to do it!

Back