2 LAN cards - how to set one as default for internet

I have 2 lan cards. In fact, one giga lan port integrated in mainboad, and one 100 card PCI add on. I manage to set up the 100 card for internet, while the giga card I use for connection with a different computer in my room.
Everything so fine up to this point. But 5 minutes later after I ENABLE the giga lan, the internet connection in the 100 card, no longer works.
And in fact, when I try to connect to an internet adress , the lights from the Tray, no longer light up, but instead now lights up the lights from the giga LAN , wich of course doesn't have the proper IP so it doesn't work.
If I disable the giga LAN, the internet works again, and now the lights from the 100 CARD lights ups correctly. (the lights from the Taskbar near the clock) .

The question is, how can I force the windows to use the 100 CARD for internet ?

Jus remove the default gateway ip on you LAN interface, then it will be forced to use the internet nic to route internet traffic to your router

Id recomend that you dont put to nics from the same pc onto tha same subnet though, there are many reasons for this.

Jus remove the default gateway ip on you LAN interface, then it will be forced to use the internet nic to route internet traffic to your router

Id recomend that you dont put to nics from the same pc onto tha same subnet though, there are many reasons for this.

If both cards are on the same segment, and you want to make sure traffic for the local machine on your network goes through the gigabit interface, you will need to add a persistent routing statement that forces that to be the case. Both NICs have to have static IPs for this to work.

priteshvarsani : I already removed the default gateway on my local giga LAN , the same results. Now I tried to remove it from my 100 internet LAN, but in that case, the internet stops working.

Id recomend that you dont put to nics from the same pc onto tha same subnet though

sorry but I don't know what's a "nic" .

nessus : thanks for the answer, but the same, I don't know many terms like : "both cards are on the same segment" - what's a segment ?
- " you will need to add a persistent routing statement" - how can you add a persistent routing statement ?
- I am on Win XP.

- Both lan ports have Static IP.

I don't know if this works or not. I would try it myself but I don't have Windows installed. :D

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

How to change the binding order of network adapters
1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

You can see the available connections in the LAN and High-Speed Internet section of the Network Connections window.
2. On the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings, and then click the Adapters and Bindings tab.
3. In the Connections area, select the connection that you want to move higher in the list. Use the arrow buttons to move the connection.

In your case set the 100 first.

1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

That was funny :). Like : open cmd type dot.exe rem/x 412 enter i.inf - and you wait for something magical..and all of the sudden, the text editor opens :D

Thanks.. I did just that , and I rearange the cards in that Advanced Settings , but no joy :( . The simptoms remains exactly the same. I only have internet, in seconds after I disable the GIGA Lan card. Interesting that if I'm downloading something from my friend FTP, with GetRight, the download keeps going on , after I enable the GIGA LAN. But the browsers no longer work (Opera, Firefox etc) .

i am having the same problem. I was trying to setup a VPN, but it did not work.

Open up a command line and type:

route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 <default gateway>

Obviously <default gateway> should be replaced with whatever your default gateway should be. Normally windows will pick the best interface for the job (ie, the one with internet access). HOwever, it sometimes guesses wrong and gets retarded. In this case add "if #" without the quotes, and with # representing the interface number you'd like to use.

I hope that's clear enough to understand....hmmm....if not, I'll clarify.

Back