2 internet connections, bridging?

Xenozx

2[H]4U
I have 2 20mbit internet connections in my home. I also have 2 ethernet cards in my machine.

What I want to do is have both of these connections running at the same time and have my bittorent, gaming, and web packets split equally between both of them.

Is this possible, and will bridging make that happen, or am I just looking into this too far?

I know both connections have separate IP's, and I know the internet can only deal with 1 IP at a time, so I dont know how that would effect it, but i figured I would ask and maybe someone who knows more than me can clarify?

Pfsense can do channel bonding. Google and read about it, it's fairly long read and irritating to set up but it does work quite well.

While I know nothing about channel bonding, I know pfsense 2.0 beta supports multiple wan ports and load balances them. But no single connection will surpass the 20Mbit mark, so dont think you will get a speed of 40Mb by combining them. You will just get the throughput of the 2- 20Mb connections.

It's not called bridging, it's called load balancing.

Pfsense can do channel bonding. Google and read about it, it's fairly long read and irritating to set up but it does work quite well.

Channel bonding or LAGG is not what he's looking for and it will not work. LAGG is for combining multiple interfaces into one virtual interface that has only 1 address associated with it.

OP needs to look at load balancing. Pfsense does this in a round robin fashion based on the gateway of your connections. You have two connections each with unique IPs. The problem is, if both those IPs have the same gateway, load balancing will not work since Pfsense load balances based on the gateway.

what if one of the connections is wireless? for example, if I turn my 3g phone into a wireless hotspot, could I combine that connection with my wired cable internet for max bandwidth?

what if one of the connections is wireless? for example, if I turn my 3g phone into a wireless hotspot, could I combine that connection with my wired cable internet for max bandwidth?

No.

You also wouldn't want to do that due to the latency that cell networks have. I know your trying to get a 40MB pipe some way, but it just doesn't work like that. Load balancing through a firewall or doing multiple gateways and manually putting your seedbox / game systems separate from the rest of your LAN would be the best way to get the maximum from your connections.

Back