2 gtx 1060 6GB gaming laptops: $720 and $1000

coconutboy

Gawd
Even though I can’t afford one myself right now, I’ve been keeping an eye on laptop for when I pick one up next year. Spotted these two deals and they seem pretty hot to me. YMMV

$720 via TechReport (use checkout code SAVE20)
  • Dell g3
  • Core i7-8750H 6 core cpu
  • gtx 1060 6GB cpu
  • 2x4GB ram for dual channel bandwidth. Lame if you wanna add in a stick for 16GB, but awesome otherwise vs a single stick
  • 128GB ssd + 1TB hdd. Good stuff considering the price and other specs.
  • 1080p IPS display pairs well with gpu for solid performance
  • I’m unsure if the $720 version has Thunderbolt 3, but it does have usb-c, multiple usb 3.1, hdmi 2.0, card reader, rj45, etc.
  • fingerprint reader on power button for quick login
Maybe you’ve seen better recently? Please share if so! This deal seems great to me with solid specs and little waste. The gpu goes great with the 1080p rez, and the 8GB ram in a dual-channel config maximizes the smallish capacity. I wish it had a 512GB ssd, but 128GB with a 1TB hdd is a great alternative to hit that price. Bang-for-the-buck?

$1000 at Walmart via arstechnica Overpowered Gaming Laptop 17+
  • 17.3 144Hz Screen
  • Intel i7-8750H clocked at 2.20 GHz (question: is this clocked a bit slow? Even with all 6 cores at 100%, I thought laptops with this cpu clocked higher)
  • gtx 1060 gpu with 6GB ram
  • mechanical rgb led keyboard
  • 32GB ram at 2667 MHz (!!)
  • 256GB SSD
  • 2TB hdd
  • 1 usb-c
  • 2 usb 3.0
  • 1 usb 2.0
  • SD card slot
  • 3x hdmi for VR
Is this a good laptop? I was reading a bit that these Overpowered laptops are poorly built Walmart branded junk, but I don’t know much about them. If build quality isn’t a concern, this is probably the deal I’d go for despite all the ridiculousness. 32GB ram is complete overkill for a gaming laptop imo. Likewise, I think the 144Hz screen and gtx 1060 combo is going to be less useful with newer games in 2019/2020. But vs the more budget friendly first link, I think I’d be okay paying an extra $300 for 32GB ram, double the capacity on both the ssd + hdd, a mechanical keyboard, AND the ability to dabble with VR (even if it’s just older titles that require low performance).

Whatchya’ll think? Were there better deals during Black Friday, or do you think we will likely see better in February/March when I plan on buying?

Edit: also spotted a $500 Overpowered on slickdeals with a gtx 1050 (not TI?). Dunno how good that is vs the above deals.

Last edited:
The one below the $1000 Walmart one has 16gb/ 1TB as the only difference. It goes in and out of stock at $699 and it IS [H]ot

Back