2 GT in SLI 3rd card for 2nd monitor

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
Ok i know SLI doesnt support multiple monitors, so i had an old pci-e 1650pro laying around and put that in the third pci-e slot on my 680i board. Works perfect....in XP. Does anyone know how i can get it to work the same way in Vista home premium 64?

TL;DR
2 cards in SLI
1 card 2nd monitor
Works in xp.
No worky in Vista.
stumped.

PS please dont suggest i just stick with XP.

Thanks for the information, I'm running Vista 64 with SLI. If I can get two monitors in XP I may have to consider stepping down espeically if Service Pack 3 improves XP performance as its been stated.

Ok i know SLI doesnt support multiple monitors, so i had an old pci-e 1650pro laying around and put that in the third pci-e slot on my 680i board. Works perfect....in XP. Does anyone know how i can get it to work the same way in Vista home premium 64?

TL;DR
2 cards in SLI
1 card 2nd monitor
Works in xp.
No worky in Vista.
stumped.

PS please dont suggest i just stick with XP.

might work if all three cards are nvidias.

I don't know about in Vista, but in XP it won't work if all three cards are NVIDIAs. I tested it in the box in my sig with an 8400GS in the center slot.

It's nice to know that it will work with an ATI card in the center slot, though.

Everything I've seen from people on here suggest that under Vista all three cards need to be able to use the same drivers to avoid issues, and under XP it's actually better to have them used different ones (as you've found). End result is a lot of people telling eachother they're wrong.

So you just put the ATI card in there and didn't install any drivers for it? I also have a x1650pro lying around

I would try a Matrox card for the third, I have done that with success back in the XP days. The matrox desk software works great for all cards involved save for an occasional lock up when you forget to disable tripple head while gaming.

Actually to get the third card working, ya i pretty much just put it in, and let xp install the drivers for it. And it worked. But with vista, its a completely different story. Either i can get the nvidia drivers working or the ati drivers, i cant seem to get both the SLI drivers AND the third card to work at the same time. I'll have more time to mess with it this weekend though.

Back