2 fans VS. 1 fan

catkicker

Limp Gawd
my radiator is setup with one 120mm fan pushing air through it. I have seen people install a second fan on the rad. pulling air throuh it.

My questions: 1. does this have any real increase in performance of the system?
2. Would I need to have a shroud on the fan pulling the air?
3. I'm going to guess, they should be turning at the same speed.

I read somewhere a review someone did of one fan pushing vs one fan pulling vs a push/pull set-up. The set-up was a Possideon watercooling kit with a single 80mm radiator as it comes stock. What was the conclusion?

One high-quality fan properly installed pulling air through the radiator was more effective than a single, same quality fan pushing through the same radiator. He then decided to try installing a push/pull configuration. It was more effective but created a considerably higher amount of noise at the same voltages.

My opinion: if you really need the extra 1 degrees C that he managed to pick up and are willing to accept the added noise the extra fan makes then go for it. Personally, I'd go with a good thermal controlled 120mm fan pulling air through the rad with a well designed (and sealed) shroud between the two.

If you do use it, yeah, you'd probably want the fans turning at about the same speed. If one has to be a little faster I'd say the exhaust side should be a little faster.

1:- Possible.
You'll may either better cooling useing two fans or the same cooling useing quieter fans
Better cooling may only be 0.1C.
It all depends on how much air you have going through the rad with one fan and how restrictive the rad is to air flow.

2:- All rad fans work better with a shroud.

3:- Yes.

Luck........... :D

a thick rad benefits more from push-pull fans than a thinner, less restrictive rad.

what rad to you use? if it is something like a thermochill or a black ice pro, it probably isn't worth the bother. a BIX MIGHT get some benifit at reasonable noise levels, but not great.

Thank's all. My Temps. CPU. 29degressC.idle/ 39 degressC.Load (prime95 largeFFT's)
GPU core 42degreesC. ambient 28degreesC.idle/46degreesC. ambient 35degreesC. Load
Case Temp.25 degreesC. sensor on exhaust side of rad 26degreesC.
These temps are with Cpu V of 2.6V at 2.4Ghz. and no OC on VC.
With new OCZ MEM. I will be working on higher OC.as temps. become a issue it looks a though a second fan would not net much more then 1 to 2 degress.

Back