2 computers 1 monitor question

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
What is the easiest/cheapest way to connect 2 computers to a single monitor so that I can switch back and forth between them easily? I'm not sure what I need to be able to do this but I assume they must make something that allows this.

Thanks for any advice.

You need a KVM as earnstaf mentioned but be aware that your monitor likely only has one DVI port so you'd need a KVM with DVI switching if you wanted an all-in one unit. Or you could buy a separate DVI switch. Or connect one computer via VGA and the other via DVI/HDMI if you don't mind analog performance.

This assumes of course that you want to connect via DVI. If your connecting via VGA then ignore everything I've said. :D

I have and highly recommend the Avocent Switchview DVI switch---its spendy but does the job.

Why not just use remote desktop. I use it alot for multiply computer unless you are watching a movie/gaming.

If you have seperate mouse/keyboard for the setups then a LCD monitor with a DVI and vga connections.

I'm guessing it would also be possible to use the KVM switch with 2 monitors? Like docking my laptop to a monitor next to my main desktop monitor?

Back