2 BFG 6800GT OC's PCIe and 550W PSU!!

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
11,819
Wow, that is really not a bad deal....To bad I am low on $$$$
 

provoko

Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
656
What was it exactly, TWO 6800gt pci, or ONE?

Because BFG links a retailer that sells ONE 6800gt pci at MSRP.
 

Dolby

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
40
The link was this:

1 x BFG Super Power Bundle - (2 X 6800 GT OC PCI-Express & 1 X 550-Watt Power @ $849.9)

I was worried my order would not go through but it has been shipped :). I've been searching for a place that had these items in stock at a normal price. Every where i look those that have these cards in stock are chargeing $100 - $300 over its suggested price. Good thing I jumped on it as soon as I saw this post.
 

ohnnyj

Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
575
Since every other site is gouging people for bloated prices (i.e. $499+ for a single 6800GT PCIe).
 

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
4,945
That is 2 6800 GT's and a 550W PSU. A 6800 GT PCI-E's MSRP is $399.99, and you'll be hard pressed to find one for less than about $450 right now. Plus, you get a nice 550W PSU certified by BFG with it. So, that's 400 + 400 + 50 for the PSU. That's an extremely good deal, considering most 6800 GT PCI-E cards are going for 50 to 100 dollars over MSRP right now.
 

Clownboat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
322
Huh, that's weird. Got mine for $400 even.

EDIT: Also, those PSUs suck. $50 isn't too bad for one, but I'm not about to buy it just so I can get two GT's at MSRP.
 

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
4,945
Well, considering that most are somewhere near $100 above MSRP each, it seems like a good deal just to get one near MSRP at all.

Mind you, I think it is ridiculous, but I'm just saying that it's more or less the best that is available as of right now.

But, it's a moot point, because the deal is dead anyway.
 

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
3,210
Clownboat said:
Huh, that's weird. Got mine for $400 even.

EDIT: Also, those PSUs suck. $50 isn't too bad for one, but I'm not about to buy it just so I can get two GT's at MSRP.

The power supply sucks?

Explain.

It's a rebadged Fortron/Sparkle. The 550 watt Fortron unit is considered to be a very good power supply.

Give me reasons why the BFG PSU sucks?
 

TehQuick

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,738
GRAFiZ said:
The power supply sucks?

Explain.

It's a rebadged Fortron/Sparkle. The 550 watt Fortron unit is considered to be a very good power supply.

Give me reasons why the BFG PSU sucks?

How do u know its rebadged Fortron/Sparkle? Even if u got one, it doesn't mean that everyone gets the same deal
 

WheresWaldo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
182
The link is dead now anyway. I guess Chumbo didn't really want to sell as many as they may have since it made the front page.
 

Arvig

Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
882
Bah, seems like everytime I see a link to these guys, they have sold out on the deal. Second time this happened, I ended up paying more for two XFX 6800GT's. Still, since I once in a while build systems on the side to sell, this would have been a nice deal to have some cards in stock for that.


Oh well, chumbo.com usually has the BFG's for $399.00 each, so sooner or later I'll be fast enough to get one. ;)
 

Arvig

Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
882
TehQuick said:
How do u know its rebadged Fortron/Sparkle? Even if u got one, it doesn't mean that everyone gets the same deal

Didn't see the deal, but if the PSU is rebadged by BFG, wouldn't it make sense they would stay consistant and use only one or two brands? Would be a nightmere to do otherwise...let's say they rebadged a half dozen PSU's...okay, someone sends one back for a RMA...if they rebadge a half dozen brands, more likely they send it in to the wrong people for repair. Yes, sounds dumb that they would, but well...why not have such a chance and pick one or two brands, less of a chance they send a PSU to the wrong manufacturer when they have a customer's unit repaired, or if they just replace it, when BFG sends it back to the original manufacturer to try and get their money back.


Or to put it another way, if you're a factory, and have a parts bin, is it better to get your parts from one or two places, or from a half dozen, some of high quality, some low quality? :p

If it's Chumbo rebadging them, I guess it's more likely it's whatever they have in stock, but even then I would be somewhat surprised, it is their rep if they send out a crappy PSU with two video cards that will require a decent amount of power...and more RMA's they have to deal with if they do this.
 

TehQuick

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,738
Arvig said:
Didn't see the deal, but if the PSU is rebadged by BFG, wouldn't it make sense they would stay consistant and use only one or two brands? Would be a nightmere to do otherwise...let's say they rebadged a half dozen PSU's...okay, someone sends one back for a RMA...if they rebadge a half dozen brands, more likely they send it in to the wrong people for repair. Yes, sounds dumb that they would, but well...why not have such a chance and pick one or two brands, less of a chance they send a PSU to the wrong manufacturer when they have a customer's unit repaired, or if they just replace it, when BFG sends it back to the original manufacturer to try and get their money back.


Or to put it another way, if you're a factory, and have a parts bin, is it better to get your parts from one or two places, or from a half dozen, some of high quality, some low quality? :p

If it's Chumbo rebadging them, I guess it's more likely it's whatever they have in stock, but even then I would be somewhat surprised, it is their rep if they send out a crappy PSU with two video cards that will require a decent amount of power...and more RMA's they have to deal with if they do this.

I guess u never heard of market economy :p BFG will choose those manufacturers who offer the best deal and will dump them at a drop of a hat if someone else offers a better one. As for support, well, that's another matter but then, are PSUs all that different? It's not like manufacturing a videocard, or motherboard. If u get into re-badging business, u'll be looking for the cheaper stuff to re-badge, not for a brand-name :D
 

vbrtrmn

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
2,314
I got the deal w/ the 6800 and 550 Watt PS, I've been running that PS stable since October.
 

beanman101283

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
3,051
Dolby said:
I was worried my order would not go through but it has been shipped :).

Mine is on its way too, should be here tomorrow. :) I wonder how many people actually bought it before they pulled it
 

Clownboat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
322
I saw a picture of the PSU label at an e-tailer a while ago, and it had shitty rails. You could get a solid Antec or Enermax for roughly the same price. And if your counter-argument is that they will use different PSUs depending on the market price, my counter^2-argument is that you now have no idea what you'll be getting.

Also, consider that you already have a good enough PSU to do what you need to do(assuming you built your gaming rig within the last couple generations of cards) and that it would be a complete waste of money.
 

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
3,210
You all can rag on the PSU as much as you want, but I've had the chance now to personally inspect one, and I talked to someone with an older unit.

They are made by Powertech, it is EXACTLY the SAME unit as the 550 watt Fortron and and the 550 watt Sparkle. Both of whom purchase from Powertech and slap their sticker on the outside.

I'm not saying it's worth buying at $99.99, but it is a high quality power supply as the Fortron and SPI units are. Being that the two models I am aware of were made months apart but yet use the same part, I can only imagine BFG purchases the same piece and will continue to do so.
 
Top