2.8C Overclock hit the wall at 235?

Circaflex

Weaksauce
Well i think ive hit the wall with my fsb at 235 giving me 3.3ghz, not sure what else i can do. Ive done the following:
2.8C M0 with the sl6z5
P4C800 Deluxe
1gb matched pair kingston hyperx pc3200
Zalman cnps7000alcu

Now i have done the following:
fsb 235 (giving me 3.3ghz)
5:4 Ratio with ram running around 188
Timings are at 2-2-3-6
Vcore at 1.65
Vdimm at 2.85
agp voltage at 1.6
disabled spread spectrum
disabled ich delay transaction
performance is on standard
and my temps are really good idle 23 load nothing above 35
Northbridge cooler is passive (some say this makes a big difference not too sure though)

Now i cant seem to get past 235 stable, im stable right now im able to benchmark and play games fine but after 235 its a no go, i did memtest on stock speeds and this and they passed i also have done the sandra burnin wizard and it was fine, my question is what can be holding me back? Should i maybe let spd determine the timings?

BIOS's version would more or less (depending on your board) would be a good thing to research.

on my 2.8c i cant get past 235stable but i can boot up to 250fsb(3.5ghz) and get in to windows but if i run one benchmark it crashes and the computer locks up

See what you can get pumping 1.7 through the core. Probably just a bad line of 2.8c's.

i have almost the same board

p4p800 dulux / 3.0c w/240fsb @ 3.6ghz

can't get any higher,

-paulm

Originally posted by Circaflex
1gb matched pair kingston hyperx pc3200
Vdimm at 2.85

This is kinda unrelated but..........why have you increased the memory's voltage when it's underclocked? Back her down to 2.6v.....no sense in adding extra heat to the equation when it isn't even required.

I wouldn't worry about the passive NB cooler if I were you, there's a chance you've just got a "bunk" 2.8C. This is just like a lot of 2.4C's that won't clear 3GHz, different chips will have different limits. Before you give up make sure you try feeding the CPU a little more power.....your temps are still very low so you don't have to worry about heat issues yet, use that to your advantage.

Wow, that looks just like my post! I thought I used another nickname. Hehe:

I "hit the wall" at 238 (235 was perfectly stable, 239 crashes on benchmarks, 238 is stable enough for long gaming sessions).

It's in the sig. Mobo is a P4C800. Where's your chip from? If you know .. mine was made in Costa Rica, getting kinda curious about this.

Oh, and I can also boot at 249FSB but any benchmark crashes out immediately. I used to be able to get 252 unstable (into Windows).

I tried a Vcore of 1.65 @ 240 and I don't think it stayed stable. I'm going to try a Vcore of 1.7 when I get home, see if I can't squeeze a little bit more out of the beast.

One thing I did notice though was with the stock cooler I could run benchmarks upto 245FSB. 3dMark2001, etc. But when I switched to the Vantec AeroCool I lost that ability. I'm wondering if maybe I put too much thermal greese on there, or not enough? I mean, it's sitting snug as a bug, you can't budge it.

You know, it could be your memory. Alot of people just think its the processor when they dont even consider that your memory factores in somewhere. Your cooling seems good and all your setting seem good. You have PC3200 memory. It runs at DDR400 Mhz. Setting your FSB to 235 makes the memory run at 470 Mhz, I think you've OC'ed your memory to its max. Try some better memory and then repost. I doubt you have a "bunk" 2.8. I hope I dont have a "bunk" 2.4 because mine will run fine at 2.9 but refuses to hit 3.0. But I only have PC2700 ram and I think I need some new sticks. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by ChaosNightWolf
You know, it could be your memory. Alot of people just think its the processor when they dont even consider that your memory factores in somewhere. Your cooling seems good and all your setting seem good. You have PC3200 memory. It runs at DDR400 Mhz. Setting your FSB to 235 makes the memory run at 470 Mhz, I think you've OC'ed your memory to its max. Try some better memory and then repost. I doubt you have a "bunk" 2.8. I hope I dont have a "bunk" 2.4 because mine will run fine at 2.9 but refuses to hit 3.0. But I only have PC2700 ram and I think I need some new sticks. Hope that helps.

He has stated that his ram is running at 188MHz.....235FSB * 4 / 5 = 188MHz. Another thing that comes to mind is yes, the mobo. The P4C800 (not E) did have a lot of memory related issues in the early goings, but a lot of them have been cleared up via BIOS revisions. I'd say that it might be worth it to try and get your hands on a P4C800-E and RMA (or sell) the P4C800. Even if you still run into the same issues with the "E" You'll be left with a much more stable/compatible board with A LOT more overclocking headroom and Gigbit LAN.

Hope you have some luck. :cool:

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
He has stated that his ram is running at 188MHz.....235FSB * 4 / 5 = 188MHz. Another thing that comes to mind is yes, the mobo. The P4C800 (not E) did have a lot of memory related issues in the early goings, but a lot of them have been cleared up via BIOS revisions. I'd say that it might be worth it to try and get your hands on a P4C800-E and RMA (or sell) the P4C800. Even if you still run into the same issues with the "E" You'll be left with a much more stable/compatible board with A LOT more overclocking headroom and Gigbit LAN.

Hope you have some luck. :cool:

I was actually considering ordering the IC7-Max3 (or whatever) by Abit. :)

Originally posted by Spidey329
I was actually considering ordering the IC7-Max3 (or whatever) by Abit. :)

Yeah, the MAX3! is a nice baord but it is still plagued by most of if not all of the memory related issues common to a lot of Canterwood boards on the market right now.

It's up to you but honestly, I don't think it's worth chancing compatibility and stability for a SLIGHTLY higher overclock..........and even that isn't a surefire thing.

Back