2.8C Northwoods $75 at ewiz

I'll bite. Gotta do something with these spare 478 boards. Fileserver sounds good.

Zero82z said:
Not so hot considering the 805D is coming down to $93...

There's not 478 805D last I checked. Like I said this is a good deal for those with a 478 mobo lying around.

Nice upgrade for a PIV1.8 I got on my other system. Thanks, OP.

BB

*tear* when I got mine it was almost $220. This makes me sad. Ive had it for almost 4-5 years now, very stable chip no problems what so ever.

isn't there a deal for an athlon 64 3400+ Venice plus motherboard @ newegg for under 100? lol. A64>Northwood :)

good chip @ a pretty good price :). I wouldn't mind having it, but am going to pass. Won't give me enough speed improvement to be worth my time really. I do have 2 of it's brothers though.
The venerable 1.6a & 2.4C :cool:

:edit
on second thought... almost worth it since the 1.6 doesn't have HT... but stilll... not really worth it for me.

What is the C in 2.4C stand for? Would this work on a Dell Dimension 8200 with an Intel 850E chipset, 533MHZ front side bus (FSB)? I noticed that this chip is 800MBH but I didn't know if its backwards compatible or what? I don't know if I need one of these northwoods or if I need a prescott.

TIA.
John

What is the C in 2.4C stand for?
indicates the fsb speed.

i personally like this one because it's a speed per heat breakpoint in the p4 line. i'm running mine passive-cooled at stock speed and it's been solid. (though with the onset of Core on the desktop, a Northwood C isn't worth buying a mobo for. still, if you're stuck with s478, it's my chip of choice.)

mpgalvin said:
indicates the fsb speed.

i personally like this one because it's a speed per heat breakpoint in the p4 line. i'm running mine passive-cooled at stock speed and it's been solid. (though with the onset of Core on the desktop, a Northwood C isn't worth buying a mobo for. still, if you're stuck with s478, it's my chip of choice.)

Technically C stands for the core, which is the Northwood.

E stands for Prescott, A stands for Willamette

aZn_plyR said:
isn't there a deal for an athlon 64 3400+ Venice plus motherboard @ newegg for under 100? lol. A64>Northwood :)

Got a link? I cant seem to find that...I see a 3000+ for $88 and you can get a Biostar board for another $60 or so...but not board + processor for $100 or less.

Back