2.5 WD Scorpio Blue Recovery

jcagara08

Limp Gawd
Hey guys what is up? I really need help recovering my data files without data loss (sounds like a fantasy) What happened, I was playing BF4 64 MP yesterday, had a little argument and heat with wifey, whacked laptop on the middle keyboard part and pulled out the AC charger adapter (laptop did not have battery that time), now it could not repair itself via recovery, put in on an enclosure, but is not recognized, luckily a small partition is readable (lenovo folders for applications and drivers) so I am still hoping to retrieve my data...
What should I do first? Repair windows boot or recover files?
model is WD scorpio blue 2.5 500GB HDD.
Any recommended software to use?
I already did that CHKDSK windows, did not help,
Now its showing drive could not be accessed, cyclic redundancy error.
I just want to retrieve my files and probably rre install windows 8. Is the hard drive half dead?

TLDR; HDD crashed, need tips for file recovery.

First thing I would do is a block level copy with ddrescue to another drive or image file. You will need a Linux live CD for that. I generally use Ubuntu because of the package management. There are some tutorials on the net.

From there you can use another tool, e.g. GetDataBack to recover files if chkdsk fails. But the important part is the block copy, so nothing is lost if you screw up the recovery. Never do in-place recovery on important data. I had chkdsk creating garbage from some perfectly recoverable files before.

Last edited:
First thing I would do is a block level copy with ddrescue to another drive or image file. You will need a Linux live CD for that. I generally use Ubuntu because of the package management. There are some tutorials on the net.

Great thanks for your reply man, but I guess I need a more easier route?
Any more ways to retrieve data? I don't want to go and use these so-called freemium recovery softwares that charges a lot! Please I am in dire need of help

Found an easier way (my limitation is that I am doing this recovery on my office PC, I can get to install software only, can't mess with boot setups and OS tweaking)
This software that pretty much straightforward approach is called getdataback for NTFS/FAT.
I am in the process of recovering my files and will send my lappy for warranty service.
Thanks everyone!

Great thanks for your reply man, but I guess I need a more easier route?

He gave you the method that I also use in the same situation at work and otherwise. Its best to use the dieing drive as little as possible and do any recovery from a working drive. Although there is definitely a chance of success with other recovery methods.

I already did that CHKDSK windows, did not help,

Next time avoid this step. chkdsk can damage your data if the disk you are checking is unreliable.

He gave you the method that I also use in the same situation at work and otherwise. Its best to use the dieing drive as little as possible and do any recovery from a working drive. Although there is definitely a chance of success with other recovery methods.

Next time avoid this step. chkdsk can damage your data if the disk you are checking is unreliable.

Alright thanks man, I made a successful recovery of my files "GetDataBack" application from NTFS and thank god all my RAW image files were intact, after that I slapped it back to the lappy and sent for warranty repair cause it seems to me that there are some, some hardware issue with it already since from 8 months of usage damn I will definitely purchase a better brand next time jeez.. I will be missing 2 weeks of BF4 MP probably crap!
Thanks so much guys and Hardforum.com!

Back