2.5" hard drives have stagnated. Are they going extinct soon?

I do a single annual full alphabetical data defrag of my SSDs.

Basically it lifts and replants everything on the drive so it all gets 'energised' at least every year. Not had any issues since I started in 2012 with this approach. Just once a year.
What software do you use?

But why do you need to defrag an SSD at all?

You shouldn't. They only need to occasionally be powered up in order to keep their data retention strong. Defragging them only wears them out faster with no additional benefits.

You shouldn't. They only need to occasionally be powered up in order to keep their data retention strong. Defragging them only wears them out faster with no additional benefits.

There was one or two models from a few years ago that had a problem where they never read/rewrote static data as a maintenance task with the result that performance reading it tanked after a year or two because it was having to thrash reread cycles to get enough good bits for the ECC to be able to work.

There was one or two models from a few years ago that had a problem where they never read/rewrote static data as a maintenance task with the result that performance reading it tanked after a year or two because it was having to thrash reread cycles to get enough good bits for the ECC to be able to work.
Sure, but that would not apply to a drive you bought last year or this year, for sure.

Are you thinking of the Samsung EVO 840 (2013)?

Yeah it was the EVO 840, I bought one for my mothers computer that she only uses every so often. Its to the point that a mechanical hard drive would be blazing fast compared to how bad it is now. I would have replaced it but she is getting a new system this year, and it is then going into the trash.

They released a firmware update utility to mitigate the issue but yeah, the model was quite controversial.

Oh I did uipdate the firmware on it and even gave it 24 hours to redo itself. Didnt make much of a difference, as they didnt even acknowledge the problem until quite a long time after it was bought. By the time they got the firmware out most of these drives were too far gone.

Guys, this isnt 2011 anymore. These are cheap items that you tear out and replace for a faster and larger one two or three years later anyway. A once a year full lift and replant defrag aint gonna do jack to hurt it.

Each to their own.

Guys, this isnt 2011 anymore. These are cheap items that you tear out and replace for a faster and larger one two or three years later anyway. A once a year full lift and replant defrag aint gonna do jack to hurt it.

Each to their own.

My timeline is the opposite of yours.

2012 was when I replaced a 2 year old 120 GB model with a 240 GB one. The 120GB IIRC was a mid-life upgrade to an HDD only system that kept the 640GB Black as media storage.

In 2014 I splurged $500 on a 1TB drive, thinking it'd be enough capacity to last the lifespan of my i7-4790k system as an only drive. It has.

When I get around to a new build later this year, I'm probably going to spend a similar amount on a 4TB model; again with the intent of it being something that lasts until I do a full rebuilt.

Last edited:
I don't know if motherboard will support them in the future would be nice to know if Sata drives will be around. Games like Forespoken, Hogwarts Legacy, Darktide and Wild Hearts require SSDs. Forespoken requires direct storage M.2 drives but you can use Sata as well and the game still works.

My problem I own alot of drives but are 2TB capacity or less. Someday I'll get some bigger drives but worried about drive failure. I do have one Empty Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for space that maybe needed in the future. Upgrading is a treadmill it's nonstop.

I don't know if motherboard will support them in the future would be nice to know if Sata drives will be around.
Even if motherboards eventually do away with their own SATA ports HBA controllers and SATA adapters will be around, which can be inserted into any PCIe slot (even adapted to connect to m.2 slots).

My problem I own alot of drives but are 2TB capacity or less. Someday I'll get some bigger drives but worried about drive failure.
One approach is to not worry as much about an individual drive's failure and mitigate risk using local backups. Using a high capacity HDD (or two) and keeping backups on them. If the drive with the original data dies there's always the backup, or vice versa. It's liberating that way, so long as one tests/verifies the backups are working/identical.

Some enthusiasts buy high capacity external HDDs and remove the internal drive ('shucking'), which for some models contain NAS-grade drives, which is sometimes cheaper than buying the same drive as an internal per se (though the warranties differ).

(You probably already know most of this though, so apologies in advance :p)

I don't know if motherboard will support them in the future would be nice to know if Sata drives will be around.
Hard to imagine SATA going away any time soon. What would replace it? However, the counter-example is PATA.

Upgrading is a treadmill it's nonstop.
No kidding. I have all these old 1 and 2 TB drives that I got years ago. I do my disk-to-disk backup to a drive that I change out yearly, as an additional form of backup. I use backup software that supports versioning.

More generally, I don't upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM more frequently because She Who Must Be Obeyed might question the expense. Plus, for a few days I have old and new parts spread all over the floor when I'm doing an upgrade. It's worst when I upgraded my case.

Hard to imagine SATA going away any time soon. What would replace it? However, the counter-example is PATA.

The most recent dual spindle HDDs are getting close to maxing out a SATA 6GB link in sequential operations. SAS (enterprise equivalent) has a 12GB mode, it's possible we could see SATA updated to 12GB too or HDDs migrating to SAS even on consumer level hardware in the next few years.

Yup 2.5" was designed for laptops, and now they are all SSD/NVME. I have a shoebox full of 2.5" drives from various laptops I have upgraded to SSDs over the years.

Can't really sell them for anything, but maybe one day I might list a bunch for free if recipient pays shipping.... so at least that way they are not going directly into a landfill.

The most recent dual spindle HDDs are getting close to maxing out a SATA 6GB link in sequential operations. SAS (enterprise equivalent) has a 12GB mode, it's possible we could see SATA updated to 12GB too or HDDs migrating to SAS even on consumer level hardware in the next few years.
I don't think you will ever see SATA go beyone SATA600, it is a dead interface as far as innovation at this point. In addition, there is no need for even greater than SATA300 per port at this point in spinners, and SSD's already have nvme for the future. SAS signalling is much more advanced which is why you can do longer distances and higher speeds compared to SATA, but I don't expect that will go any further for endpoint devices (NGFF and PCIe connections are the future for storage devices) and 25/50/100Gb ethernet for box to box connections for non-fabric layouts.

Yup 2.5" was designed for laptops, and now they are all SSD/NVME. I have a shoebox full of 2.5" drives from various laptops I have upgraded to SSDs over the years.

Can't really sell them for anything, but maybe one day I might list a bunch for free if recipient pays shipping.... so at least that way they are not going directly into a landfill.

You can definitely sell them 100% for certain. Just last month I bought several 2.5" laptop hard drives from a different poster on this very forum.

You can definitely sell them 100% for certain. Just last month I bought several 2.5" laptop hard drives from a different poster on this very forum.
Oh yeah? I assumed I wouldn't get more than a couple bucks each which kind of defeats the purpose with shipping. I know I have a couple 1tb ones and 750/500 ones. Plus various 3.5" 1tb ones etc. Shipping usually kills the deal.

Don't you mean dual head-disk assemblies?

Sounds very plausible.

Back