2.5" 10k velocirapper 300GB: $70 + ship

Eh 3 years ago maybe. 120GB SSDs get close to that price now.

But let's hear it for Velocirappers!

velocirapper.jpg

I'm thinking it might not be a bad games drive in my mini-ITX rig! 2.5" 10,000RPMs? Shiiiiiit...thought about a SSD but for $70? Can't pass it up!

How would a velociraptor stack up against a SATA II/SATA III SSD?

the only possible win scenario for a raptor is sequential writes if you have an ssd that somehow can't trim or garbage collect fast enough to maintain 120mb/s write.

it loses everything else.

I have one for my system drive (most of my programs), 120GB ssd for OS and a few games, and a TB hdd for storage. Works great for me.

Faster in terms of actual speed the parts move at. Also faster for gigabytes 121 to 300, especially if they would otherwise be stored on optical disks. Faster at consuming electricity.

Slower in terms of computing performance unless you really did hit worst worst case (and then some SSDs can still do fairly decently against a platter drive.) Oh, and of course, after you hit 120gb written on the VR you are into the middle of the disk anyway so performance goes down a fair amount on the hard drive anyway.

I think for heavy write loads, the rappers should be better as you don't have to worry about cells wearing out, trim, & garbage collection. In any case, they are about 1/2 the price of per GB of a cheap SSD.

If you only need 120GB, then sure, get an SSD.

Thanks OP. Got one for $69.99 shipped. Will be using it for my hackintosh build.

Howabout comparing 3 velociraptors in a stripe for $210 vs a 256gb SSD? You'd get around 800gb formatted which is much more suitable for some steam libraries. I suppose it would still be crushed in random r/w.

Was hoping against hope to see someone here post something akin to a rapping dinosaur. Thank you bigddybn, you made my night.

Eh 3 years ago maybe. 120GB SSDs get close to that price now.

But let's hear it for Velocirappers!

velocirapper.jpg

I think for heavy write loads, the rappers should be better as you don't have to worry about cells wearing out, trim, & garbage collection. In any case, they are about 1/2 the price of per GB of a cheap SSD.

If you only need 120GB, then sure, get an SSD.

mm, depends. only sequential and only against ssds with no time for gc or trim. random writes, no way. the needle would fall off before the cells would die.

Howabout comparing 3 velociraptors in a stripe for $210 vs a 256gb SSD? You'd get around 800gb formatted which is much more suitable for some steam libraries. I suppose it would still be crushed in random r/w.

they do only get about 120mb/s read or write on average for the 300gb model. you'd hit about 360mb/s on pure sequential reads or writes, which can actually be beat by a samsung 830 with trim if I'm not mistaken.

mm, depends. only sequential and only against ssds with no time for gc or trim. random writes, no way. the needle would fall off before the cells would die.

Not sure about that. I've already killed a Kingston V100 in less than a year by using it constantly on a laptop (linux/ext4/trim). One day it just went into RO mode while I was using it....Tried rebooting to windows & it just bluescreened.

Eh, refurb hrmm, if it was new, I would definitely put an array together.

I got four earlier this year from a different company, similar price. All four are working well in my ZFS server as an ESX NFS datastore. I got them before the prices started coming down on SSDs of course :rolleyes: For refurbs I was surprised, no issues or errors yet.

Not sure about that. I've already killed a Kingston V100 in less than a year by using it constantly on a laptop (linux/ext4/trim). One day it just went into RO mode while I was using it....Tried rebooting to windows & it just bluescreened.

It's very unlikely that you wore the cells out. There are plenty of other ways for an SSD to die.

FWIW there are rebranded ones selling on ebay for $110 for the 600GB version. Search for 10000RPM 600GB if you are interested.

Picked up 4 for new office workstation with a hardware RAID-5 solution. Might not be as fast as an SSD, but overall storage, reliability, and redundancy beats out every other SSD solution for the same money.

*edit*

So Robstar isn't using a redir link... something odd is happening when you click on a NewEgg link. First it takes you through tkqlhce.com and then on to NE. And before you guys scream "YOU'RE INFECTED, D00D!" I would mention that this came to my attention originally on my phone... and it was on the cellular network, not my home wifi. It was at this point that I tried it on my desktop and then my wifes laptop only to see the exact same thing. Click on the link and pay attention to the address bar. Anyone notice this before? Or maybe I'm being bothered by nothing.

As for the drives, it's actually kind of tempting. I have access to some nice RAID controllers, so that would help eliminate a little bit of the worry with the drives being refurbs. So many things worth spending money on... and here's me trying to be better about such things. ;)

Last edited:
*edit*

So Robstar isn't using a redir link... something odd is happening when you click on a NewEgg link. First it takes you through tkqlhce.com and then on to NE. And before you guys scream "YOU'RE INFECTED, D00D!" I would mention that this came to my attention originally on my phone... and it was on the cellular network, not my home wifi. It was at this point that I tried it on my desktop and then my wifes laptop only to see the exact same thing. Click on the link and pay attention to the address bar. Anyone notice this before? Or maybe I'm being bothered by nothing.

As for the drives, it's actually kind of tempting. I have access to some nice RAID controllers, so that would help eliminate a little bit of the worry with the drives being refurbs. So many things worth spending money on... and here's me trying to be better about such things. ;)

it is the newegg referral link that [H] uses... similar effects can be seen on links for amazon, tigerdirect, etc. etc.

*edit*

So Robstar isn't using a redir link... something odd is happening when you click on a NewEgg link. First it takes you through tkqlhce.com and then on to NE. ..Click on the link and pay attention to the address bar. Anyone notice this before? Or maybe I'm being bothered by nothing.

Very astute observation, Dr. Watson.

[H] redirect links for newegg has been normal for what, 5 years? checks your date: hmm.. 12.2 years member on [H].

Yeah yeah, never paid attention before. :p If it weren't for the redirect being killed on my phone I likely never would've noticed. Interesting that AdFree kills it.

I would have considered if they weren't refurbished. :( Need a larger drive for games that don't need to be on an SSD.

I've actually got one of these drives. I've had it since they were new on the market. I'll take an SSD everyday. As others said, heavy write loads might favor it, especially in the long run but in every other way $70 toward an SSD is going to be a better performance option.

I have never owned one of these, are they capable of being in a laptop?

I have never owned one of these, are they capable of being in a laptop?

No. They are taller than most 2.5 drive bays will allow for, and removal of their 3.5" adapter voids the warranty. And furthermore, laptops can rarely handle the extra heat they put out compared to normal laptop sized drives and I believe the Velociraptor also uses more voltage than normal drives do.

No. They are taller than most 2.5 drive bays will allow for, and removal of their 3.5" adapter voids the warranty. And furthermore, laptops can rarely handle the extra heat they put out compared to normal laptop sized drives and I believe the Velociraptor also uses more voltage than normal drives do.

Damn I see. SSD is the way to go IMO.

Are these things still loud as hell?

nope. no difference from any other hard drive.

Honesty guys this is a sweet deal. I hardly noticed a difference when i switched from a 128GB SSD to a 300GB velociraptor. Yes it is slower but seriously who notices 1-2 second differences when loading a map in a game?

And furthermore, laptops can rarely handle the extra heat they put out compared to normal laptop sized drives and I believe the Velociraptor also uses more voltage than normal drives do.
It's the size and power requirement that prevent these from becoming great laptop drives.

I've had many VRs and heat is not a problem.

Back