2.4ghz and 5ghz and the same time for a low price.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by butterfliesrpretty, May 6, 2018.

1. butterfliesrpretty

butterfliesrpretty 2[H]4U

Just trying to find a router that does both frequencies at the same time that I can find used cheap. Don't need super fancy just something that gets the job done. Appreciate any help with this.

2. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

That's nearly all of them... Go buy the cheapest TP-Link wireless router you can find at Wal-Mart etc.

3. butterfliesrpretty

I just bought one that does one or the other not both at the same time, I would just search for dual band, but I don't know how to specifically seek out the specific feature of being able to use both at the same time.

4. Brian_B

Brian_B [H]ard|Gawd

I don't know that I've run across that would have both frequencies, but only do one or the other at any given time. That certainly isn't common in my experience.

What router did you buy that doesn't do what your wanting?

5. butterfliesrpretty

6. Brian_B

Brian_B [H]ard|Gawd

Well, the router you bought is almost 10 years old. The latest firmware is dated 2010.

7. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Limp Gawd

I was skeptical, but holy hell, according to the manual (page 29) it really can only do 2.4 OR 5 GHz, not both simultaneously. Odd, even considering the time that it came out.

I can't give a first-hand recommendation (sorry), but a lot of people seem to like the Asus routers. Just make sure whatever you get is 802.11ac, dual-band, and should have gigabit ethernet ports all-around. Don't worry about superfluous stuff like USB ports for file/printer sharing, as that stuff is usually an afterthought and rarely works well.

8. butterfliesrpretty

Well I'll just get one then that I hope can do both. If I get another one that does one or the other but not both, I'm coming to back this thread and raising hell lol.

Brian_B likes this.
  9. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Alot of the early N only 5GHZ routers could only do 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ. Now another thing to note alot consumer based routers can not have both 2.4 and 5GHZ on the same SSID network... So idk if thats what you want. 1 SSID that can run both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ?

10. butterfliesrpretty

Nah just want something where my roommate can connect her ds and older laptop with 2.4, and I can use the higher 5ghz for pcgaming, as 2.4 gets a lot of interference here.

11. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Then any basic router that has AC should do this without any issues.

12. mwarps

mwarps [H]ardForum Junkie

TP-Link Archer C5 on Ebay. $30 used. Go.

butterfliesrpretty likes this.
  13. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

No, not any cheap router. Any 802.11ac router will do both, but many 802.11n will not do concurrent 2.4 and 5.0. Due to price, availability, and "newness" I'd just go with an 802.11ac router. Will probably find one cheaper than you would an 802.11n that does both.

14. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Honestly didn't think that you could get an 'N' router, so definitely make sure to grab a TP-Link AC version!

15. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

Definitely don't get the Linksys WAP610N.

16. butterfliesrpretty

Got the tplink on the way thanks for the help.

IdiotInCharge likes this.