2 1TB SSDs or 1 2TB SSD for Hyper-V guests

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by rpeters83, Jul 3, 2019.

1. rpeters83

rpeters83 Limp Gawd

I run a small Hyper-V host (using a desktop PC) and currently have two 1TB WD blacks but want to replace them with SSD storage. Each drive contains about 5-8 guests (about 10-16 total, though 12 on average).

I am torn between upgrading to 2 1TB SSDs or 1 2TB SSD. The the former, I don't lose any performance. With the latter, i don't know if performance will not be optimal (putting all guests on one drive instead of spanned across two), but I gain a slot for an extra drive if I need it in the future.

Thoughts on performance between the two options?

2. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

I think it really depends on workloads. We have some clients running ~30 user (basic office users email, word, etc. ) RDS servers off one SSD with pretty snappy performance. Obviously if your guests are doing anything throughput intensive you may not have such good luck.

3. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

If you're thinking 2TB NVMe (some E12-based drives have been ~$220 there recently) then it will be more than adequate.

4. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

I would split the VMs between 2 1TBs SSD

5. rpeters83

rpeters83 Limp Gawd

Thanks. Could you explain your reasoning?

6. SamirD

SamirD 2[H]4U

I would go for the 2x1TB for a couple of reasons:
    • Cost - 2TB drives still command a premium so 1TB drives will be cheaper
    • Performance - when accessing data that is on 2 different 1TB drives, each drive's full bandwidth is available
    • Safety - if one drive fails, you only have to replace the one and aren't completely down

7. rpeters83

rpeters83 Limp Gawd

All good points. I'll order two. Thank you.

SamirD likes this.
  8. kdh

kdh Gawd

Split work loads between 2 drives. Each drive is capable up to a certain amount of iops. If you have 2 drives, you effectively double the amount of iops you can push.