2 120GB SSD in raid 0 Good Read- Slow write speed

poppachocks

Limp Gawd
I've done some pretty through searching and went through and disabled Superfetch, updated Intel Rapid storage drivers, enabled write caching, but still showing pretty slow write speeds compared with the read speeds.950 read 275 write (AS SSD)

New Asus MB P8Z77-V LK, 3570K CPU@ 4.20GHZ
(2) 120GB drives in raid 0 (are attached to the two fastest Sata ports)

These are NOT identical drives, although both are new. One Intel 330, and one Kingston HyperX 3K.

Could the different drives be holding back my write scores, or have I missed something in the set up? BTW: Intel SSD Toolbox shows everything is well and drives are functioning normally.

All comments welcome.

These two SSDs are plugged into the GRAY ports on the motherboard, correct?

That is correct, Blue.

When I get home, I plan on looking at firmware updates for both drives, and to check my board's chipset drivers for an update I have already updated bios to latest revision.

The read speed is what I would expect with a raid 0 setup (around 950) but the write speed is quite disappointing.

Not sure if I'll have to recreate the array and re-install after a firmware update, but if so no big deal.

BTW: I have a third SSD set up as a cache drive (an older Vertex 2) that is caching for a 1TB Caviar Black that is my storage drive. I would not think that would affect the array in any way.

Well, guess it was AS-SSD giving me bogus readings. I ran Crystal Disk Mark and got high 900s for both read and write.

Thanks for taking the time to reply BlueFalcon!

Actually I'm having a problem with seq write speed reported by AS SSD too. When I run atto I see that my write performance drops like a rock when going from 1024k transfers to 2048k and above. Crystal Disk Mark and the Samsung SSD Magician benchmark both show awesome performance. I'm guessing AS SSD uses a transfer size greater than 1024k which is why I see a problem there and not with other benchmarks. So far I've been unable to figure out why my write performance tanks above 1024k transfer writes. Run Atto on your system and see what it says.

ETA: writes will suffer if your processor is down-clocking. I assume you know that. AnandTech always makes of point of saying they've turned off stuff like speedstep for running drive benchmarks. I've done that also, and my write performance is consistent, but doesn't improve above 1024k transfers. I should also note that the drop in write performance isn't limited to just my Samsung 840pro, it happen with my other SSD's also, so it's something screwy in my system.

Last edited:
Back