2.1 Surround Sound Question (Speakers)

ptr1959w

Weaksauce
Hi there,
I was wondering if I can add 2 different speakers to the 2.1 setup? Would it work? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It will work but not well. You need symmetry if you want a proper experience.

It would mostly LOOK funny but would be OK if the drivers and cross-over frequencies match but speakers are different brands. Doing this with two different speakers is more trouble than it is worth since you'd need a calibration mic and software to test each speaker to see if their response curves are a close match.

Now. If we are talking adding two different speakers to an existing 2.1 setup, then that would be OK and is done quite often in the case of surround speakers. Any kind of room correction built into a piece of A/V gear or using something like a Umik-1 and REW would handle correcting each speaker for room acoustics. Here is an article on the subject...

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

Are you just trying to do PC surround sound for gaming or are you trying to do surround sound for TV/Movies?

Also, you didn't mention whether you're using a receiver or a pair of powered monitors with a sub out connection.

It would help a lot to know:

1. What type of speakers you currently have and how are they powered
2. What the speakers are connected to
3. What are the new speakers (if you know or have some ideas) and how you plan on connecting them.
4. What kind of content you are listening to / would like to listen to with your new speakers.

I just ordered for a Cyber Acoustics 2.1 surround sound speaker system. I don't know how the are powered. The 2 speakers that I was talking about their make is Reccazr Run by USB(Never Heard of them). I would like to setup the system for watching movies . I don't know how the Cyber Acoustics are connected.I like to listen to music and going to video chat rooms.If I am missing anything, just ask away.

It would mostly LOOK funny but would be OK if the drivers and cross-over frequencies match but speakers are different brands. Doing this with two different speakers is more trouble than it is worth since you'd need a calibration mic and software to test each speaker to see if their response curves are a close match.

Now. If we are talking adding two different speakers to an existing 2.1 setup, then that would be OK and is done quite often in the case of surround speakers. Any kind of room correction built into a piece of A/V gear or using something like a Umik-1 and REW would handle correcting each speaker for room acoustics. Here is an article on the subject...

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

DSP is not a viable solution for room acoustics. It can help a little but the root problem will remain.

DSP is not a viable solution for room acoustics. It can help a little but the root problem will remain.

Sure. But it will provide a curve for the room and help with adding room treatments. I use UMIK/REW to get close and then run Audyssey.

Back