2.1 Setup - Kanto YU4 / AudioEngine A2+ / ???

Hello All,

Looking to replace an older (re 10 years+) Logitech 2.1 speaker setup that I spent maybe 100 bucks on with something more substantial - budget around $500-$600 CAD. I've looked into the Kanto Yu4's plus the Sub8 or the AudioEngine A2+ and the S8 sub woofer. When I first started looking to new options my initial plan was to go with a 2.1amp and an unpowered speaker/subwoofer setup however through my research I found the Kanto/AudioEngine options. Not completely sold on the integrated amp option but I do like the form factor and styling offered by the Kanto/AudioEngine options. The primary use will be music while I'm at my desk (flac mainly), home office is approximately a 10x10 room - not looking at this setup to fill the house with music or carter to anyone beyond the office space. I do want a system that will "fill the room" when "cranked up". Aesthetics are important, looking for a clean/minimalist look for the equipment.

Looking for input on the Kanto/AudioEngine options or suggestions toward a separate amp/speaker setup at a similar price point.

Thanks in advance!

I find the YU2's to be great -- I've run them with a sub, but they're plenty 'full sounding' without. I picked them for a desktop application specifically for their diminutive size; I wasn't looking for 'loud' for this application, but they can certainly fill a room. I assume that the YU4s will expand the the frequency response at higher volumes.

Appreciate the response - I actually stumbled upon the YU2's at the local computer store, which started this whole adventure. I like their size however I prefer the auto off function the YU4's offer, if the YU2's had that function they would already be sitting on my desk! From everything I've see online, you cant go wrong with either brand, some prefer the sound of one brand over the other however that's always a subjective response.

I can't really speak to the 'sound' -- I just don't have enough examples to qualify any opinion I might have, except to say that they sound great -- as in clear, full-bodied, and when properly aligned (equilateral triangle and all that) provide great stereo separation and center image. They disappear.

I can say that I don't find their 'sound' to be appreciably different than the Massdrop-tuned headphones I have that cost many times as much, being the Focal Elex and DT177X Go (or even the HE4XX). Balanced sound might be the word?

Back