2.0 Pick one and explain why!

bencho

2[H]4U
Swan D1080 | MAudio 30/40 | AudioEngine 2/5

Which one would you pick and why?
Also, I believe the AE'5 has a sub out? What sub would you match to it?

What are you using them for, how are you going to connect them, what soundcard and/or receiver are you using them with, are you definitely getting a sub, why do you have only one pair of speakers (AE A5) that are out of the budget range of the rest of the speakers?

Because I have one full set of Klipsch Ultras, and one extra Ultra sub. Both amps fried. I want to go for something else... anything else... more reliable.

I've been trying to learn audio and read reviews. I'll be using them for my main desktop and laptop and ipod for parties. I range from classical to hip-hop, love the low ends like Salt Shaker... My desktop has the AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi. My laptop is just stock mobo sound. I don't plan on using a receiver. I'd like a sub but not sure if all of them have line outs for the sub. I know the AE5s have one for sure. The AE5s are a splurge since it's getting close to my bday. Might have some help paying for them + trying to sell my Klipsch system.Should be able to get close to the $350 mark with two dead subs, 5 speakers, 2 control pods.

I'd suggest others but I dunno what to suggest :)

I have the A5s... bought them from audioengineusa.com for $261.75 with the MW09 coupon code... hope that makes the decision easier. :)

I tried entering it in. It flashed to 261.75 but then reverted back to regular?

Wow. $250~ for the package!

So why would these sound better than the A5's + sub?
I wanted to stay away from the receiver cause it's one extra thing to have around and space is getting tight. But will consider it if you can provide a good reason besides just because.. I want to learn! :)

Well, this setup will have more dynamic headroom. It will give you all you can want and then some. The amp is stronger than the A5s, the sub is ok, the speakers are pretty neutral and larger than the A5s so they can go further into the lower ranges while maintaining decent control.

Another great setup is the Av123 ELT 525s and a Gizmo amp.

The most important part is actual setup. Nearfield aka pc stereo speaker placement is pretty easy though.

I see.. Because the amp can be used in case I want to swap gear in the future, right?
I see the amp is stronger but spec wise, the A5s are slightly larger in physical size. The tweets are slightly bigger and the woofer is .25" bigger on the TSCs. A5's are rated @ 50hz as opposed to the TSC at 65hz. I was thinking I'd use the A5's cause I don't think I'll need a full system with receiver just yet. They seem to be about what I need, and I can add on an active sub later on when cash is a little better.

Would just about any sub work well if the A5's?

Are they each active? So like $300 for each. But I have that big coupon for the A5's... lol.

Yes, each speaker individually powered unlike the A5's. If you have a Guitar Center near you I think they sell them there too and you could bring in some music to audition with. They are 149 each.

Haven't had a chance to check out the KRK's but the AE's seem all there for my mid's and highs. Straight out of the box it even seems like the highs are a bit shrill. Ears ring a little after listening. Could also because my apartment room is very small. But regardless... I'm definitely going to be needing a subwoofer for these babies Outside of my room in the living room though, I can hear a substantial amount of bass. More than you'd expect from a 2.0 set. I guess my room's acoustics are shitty. The living room is maybe 30 feet away.

Back