1TB WD Caviar Blues in RAID 5?

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all. Very soon I will be completely redoing my storage server from the current mix and match of drives to 8 1TB drives in RAID 5 + 1x 150GB Raptor drive for OS. The plan is to use a HP P410 RAID controller (With the 512MB cache upgrade and battery backup module) with 8 1TB drives in RAID 5 (1 hot spare, 7 in the array). I was planning to use Western Digital Caviar Blue series drives as their RE3 drives are a little too pricy, their green series don't do well in RAID (from what I have heard) and their black series have even more problems in RAID (again just what I have heard).

If this were your build what drives would you use and why? Also I am looking at minimum 1TB drives here.

Figured I would also give all my system specs for the proposed build.
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Core 2 Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2-1066
Intel Pro 1000GT quad port NIC
HP P410 RAID + 512MB Cache & BBWC
8 1TB drives
1 150GB drive
750W PSU

For files, backup, and 2 VMs for IIS and Games I think it should be a pretty good build.

Last edited:
One one server I have 7 1TB WDC Caviar blacks in a raid server at work. No problems there in 8 months of usage. However I am using linux software raid 5 which I am told does not generally have the TRIM hiccups that other raids do.

Back