1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 32MB, SATA-3G, OEM $39 AR

magnetik

Staff member
LINK

not bad if you're a Seagate fan. maybe some bing action can bring it down some more.

all this means for me is that the 2tb drives should be getting cheaper soon. :)

LINK

not bad if you're a Seagate fan. maybe some bing action can bring it down some more.

all this means for me is that the 2tb drives should be getting cheaper soon. :)

Holy crap. This isn't even a .11 series drive. What a nice deal, man!!

Hmm... mail-in rebate...
Anybody have any experience with worldwiderebates.com?

I Googled them and there seems to be more than a couple complaints.

Frankly, Worldwide Rebates SUCKS. This deal is amazing, but I'm passing because I hate dealing with them and their prepayed credit card crap.

ooof. Almost every other review on that site is from somebody complaining that their drive failed. Kind of scary.

ridiculous deal. but the rebates piss me off. I got a rebate card from OCZ when i bought my ram. It was such a pain in the ass to try and use. It would never work, and I would feel like an ass hole at the checkout counter when my card was declined. I literally tried to use it like 6 times. I had to call OCZ like 3 or 4 times too. I finally told them to just send me a check in the mail. What a pain in the ass. It wasn't worth my time to deal with that crap.

I'll be looking forward to getting some 2 TB drives to fill up my raid 5 with. Although, what's the point. My raid 5 right now is 2.7 TB's and I'm only using like 700 gigs of that.

ooof. Almost every other review on that site is from somebody complaining that their drive failed. Kind of scary.

Is that the case with the .12 series, too?? I thought only the .11's were problem-prone... I know they certainly were for me. How have the .12 drives been so far?

Ordered one for the hell of it. Even got another $8.40 off using Bing cashback.

For less than $37 (AR, with shipping), how bad can it be? I wouldn't use it as a critical OS drive, but it's really cheap media storage.

Last edited:
if you're that worried about the drive failing then you need to think long and hard about backing up your critical data. I have someone right now asking me how to get data that can never be replaced off a dead drive, he's learning the hard way that if you can't lose it, don't... You should be able to look at a hard drive the same way as any other piece of hardware that if it breaks you just send it back for RMA or buy another one, not worring if drive A has a 5% failure rate as opposed to drive B that has a 10% failure rate.

if you're that worried about the drive failing then you need to think long and hard about backing up your critical data. I have someone right now asking me how to get data that can never be replaced off a dead drive, he's learning the hard way that if you can't lose it, don't... You should be able to look at a hard drive the same way as any other piece of hardware that if it breaks you just send it back for RMA or buy another one, not worring if drive A has a 5% failure rate as opposed to drive B that has a 10% failure rate.

I'm not that worried about failure. If I was, I would have saved my $37 ;)

I run a WHS for nightly backups of all the systems in my house. I'd just rather use an SSD for an OS drive these days ...

Ordered one for the hell of it. Even got another $8.40 off using Bing cashback.

For less than $37 (shipped), how bad can it be? I wouldn't use it as a critical OS drive, but it's really cheap media storage.

Wow, how did you get it for so cheap shipped? :eek: Am I missing something about the rebate? Looks like it's mail in?

Wow, how did you get it for so cheap shipped? :eek: Am I missing something about the rebate? Looks like it's mail in?

I actually meant "$37AR, with shipping" :) Fixed now.

I'm spending too much time on Ben's Bargains, where everything with a rebate is Price - Rebate = "shipped cost" ;)

DON'T FORGET TO USE BING FOR AN ADDTIONAL 12% OFF THE PRE-REBATE PRICE.

I ordered mine, yesterday. Go to bing, search tigerdirect, click through the advertisment at the top of the Bing results page. You'll be asked to enter your Microsoft ID and a capatcha, then you'll be able to shop with Bing cashback.

I got this drive CHEAP! The cashback showed up in my account immediately and will likely be available in ninety days.

BTW, I already have a few of these drives. They are fantastic.

DON'T FORGET TO USE BING FOR AN ADDTIONAL 12% OFF THE PRE-REBATE PRICE.

I ordered mine, yesterday. Go to bing, search tigerdirect, click through the advertisment at the top of the Bing results page. You'll be asked to enter your Microsoft ID and a capatcha, then you'll be able to shop with Bing cashback.

I got this drive CHEAP! The cashback showed up in my account immediately and will likely be available in ninety days.

BTW, I already have a few of these drives. They are fantastic.

90 days ?

LOL

Sorry Kmical, wasn't directed at you. ;) I've got a very similar setup with WHS doing backups of all systems and duplication turned on.

Next to a SSD this is a great OS drive. Most people wouldn't notice a difference between this and a raptor honestly. BTW, those with discover cards can get an additional 5% off if they know how. Brings it down to like $32 after shipping, MIR, Bing, and ShopDiscover. I have NO need for this drive and I'm thinking hard on picking it up...

I am getting ready to replace one of these drives as I have had a sudden issue of it "falling asleep" and disappearing out of my listed drives.

Fortunately, it is the only drive I am having this issue with. Unfortunately it is my Steam drive...

So I do not trust the drive at the moment as this had not been occurring until a few weeks ago. Now it could be a Windows bug due to a patch or something, but I would have expected it to effect one of my other drives as well. I even have a 7200.11 that hasn't had this issue, my other drives are a couple 1TB Caviar Blacks and my Intel X25-M G1 drive. Could always be the port or SATA backplane in my hotswap bay, but the fact I can just perform a Rescan for drives and have it pop back makes me think otherwise.

Hmm... mail-in rebate...
Anybody have any experience with worldwiderebates.com?

I Googled them and there seems to be more than a couple complaints.

Lots of information about rebates and rebate companies here.

WWR had my Thermaltake rebate submission on record in 12 days (scans of everything online, including envelope) and delivered the check in exactly 3 months.

The rebate form said I'd get a Visa gift card for any rebate less than $10, but I got a check anyway, which is great because those gift cards impose monthly account fees after the 6 months from the issue date. If you want to convert a Visa gift card to cash without paying a fee, have your bank do a cash advance on one. Instructions are here.

When using a Visa gift card in a store with another form of payment because the card won't cover the whole balance, some store computers don't process combination payments correctly unless the gift card is used last, as Visa instructs. If the card is used first, the computer may not deduct anything from it, but the cashier, thinking it's been used up, may toss it. That happened to me with Safeway (I got it from the trash). OTOH Kroger and Wal-mart store computers had no problem. So never let the store dispose of the card.

WWR's contact number: 1-800-286-9146 (not listed on the rebate form)

Lots of information about rebates and rebate companies here.

Mine arrived today (after ordering yesterday). Decent packaging from TigerDirect.

I debated about the wisdom of using it as the boot drive for one of my quad-cores (the Q9550 or the 955BE).

Went to see if it was worth replacing the boot drive in the Q9550 .. and discovered that the boot drive is already a 1TB ST31000528AS.

I guess I'll put it in with the 955BE ;)

Last edited:

heh you think these drives are 10% fail? id say more like 40% within a year fail, and seagate cost me more to rma than WD but if your east coast prob cheaper to rma than WD. I mean there has to be a reason they are trying to give these drives away,

heh you think these drives are 10% fail? id say more like 40% within a year fail, and seagate cost me more to rma than WD but if your east coast prob cheaper to rma than WD. I mean there has to be a reason they are trying to give these drives away,

That's not always necessarily the case, but in this situation, I will point out that the .11 series was very unkind to me and several of the systems I maintain. EVERY SINGLE .11 series drive has either been RMA'd, or is sitting on a shelf inoperable waiting for me to RMA it. One of the replacement drives failed within ONE MONTH of installing it. I admit that I bought less than a dozen .11 drives for builds I was doing, but a 100% failure rate of ANY PRODUCT is absolutely ridiculous. I have older Seagates and WD's that are still kicking just fine, some with much heavier use than my personal .11 640GB Seagate received. In all my years of building and maintaining systems I've NEVER killed a drive of ANY brand off with such light, pansy usage as my 640GB Seagate. To see all the other .11 drives fail within a year was disheartening at best.

I'm becoming skeptical of Hitachi now, too. I bought two of those 1TB 3 platter Hitachi drives last year when ZZF had them on sale for $69 shipped (no rebate required.) One of them very strongly vibrates whatever computer that it's installed in to the extent that the whole table or desk that the PC is on physically shakes. It's horrendous. The other one makes an audible hum, but without the nasty vibration. Lately I'm having problems even getting it to show up in the BIOS.

I am continuously impressed by the quiet and reliability of every single western digital or samsung drive I purchase, time after time after time. I'm getting a RAID error on one of my WD black RAID 0 disks, but it passes all tests, so a simple reformat/restore should suffice.

That's why I asked earlier if the .12 drives were faring any better. I really sincerely wanted to know, because some of the sale prices Newegg and other vendors have them at are just stellar, and if they are getting good reports, I'm perfectly willing to give them another try. Some of the rigs I manage/maintain are still running older, faithful Seagate drives. They typically do well for me. I just had a horrible string of luck with the .11's.

if its not a good deal before the rebate dont buy it, not worth my time to play the "game" for rebates and cash back garbage worthless bs

Back