1tb 970 evo plus nvme ssd a bit slower than advertised.

Kdawg

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

I just plugged it in, ran some crystal tests, and it's a few hundred MB/s slower than advertised 3500/3200
I would have liked it to be closer in speed.

My actual sequential transfer is 3000/2800.
and showing a massive speed penalty in other tests.

my laptop is pcie 3.0 x4

This is what reviewers get...

gpreRhA.jpg

This is what I get...

D2k2XzG.png

Last edited:
Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

I just plugged it in, ran some crystal tests, and it's a few hundred MB/s slower than advertised 3500/3200
I would have liked it to be closer in speed.

My actual sequential transfer is 3000/2800.
and showing a massive speed penalty in other tests.

my laptop is pcie 3.0 x4

This is what reviewers get...

View attachment 191914

This is what I get...

View attachment 191915

which reviewer are you referring to?

lots can make difference. nvme drivers, different OS, different window versions, cstate, pcie via chipset or CPU, chipset ASPM, RST LPM, write cache, cpu overclocking, windows power profile settings etc. if you want a decent guide on getting more performance i recommend Jon's optimization guide from tweaktown. https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/68...ssd-performance-installation-guide/index.html

it is old from 2014 and meant for sata, but the settings will benefit all SSDs in general including NVMe PCIe ones too.

Sequentials are not important, you should be more focused on your low 4K Q1T1 scores to be honest. Are you using Samsung's NVMe driver (3.1)?

Check to make sure your NVME port isn't sharing bandwidth with any other devices. If your port coming off the CPU PCIe lanes or off a switch or PCH? Are you running the latest BIOS? Have you checked this stick in another machine to verify? There have been a number of people complaining about slow NVME speeds in the 502VM.

Usually hits to 4K are caused by software - for example, Windows Driver Verifier. I wouldn't consider your results to be terrible by any means with the 3.1 driver but something is siphoning off a bit of performance.

That other review is using a desktop pc with a 9900K, compared to my laptop with a much slower 6700hq.

Would that account for the speed difference?

Yeah, I have the latest bios. Asus always sucks and stops updating bios shortly after release.

compared to what other people get in Amazon customer reviews, my results are average.

But I still want to know what might be causing this penalty.

how do you find out what the bandwidth is and if it's being shared?

I don't know how the mobo is designed. But this is what it looks like...

Asus_GL502VM_Innereien.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried using the high performance power plan in windows?

Laptops uses a lot of power saving features by default that cause hardware to be slower.

That other review is using a desktop pc with a 9900K, compared to my laptop with a much slower 6700hq.

Would that account for the speed difference?

Yeah, I have the latest bios. Asus always sucks and stops updating bios shortly after release.

compared to what other people get in Amazon customer reviews, my results are average.

But I still want to know what might be causing this penalty.

how do you find out what the bandwidth is and if it's being shared?

I don't know how the mobo is designed. But this is what it looks like...

View attachment 192228

i already answered in my earlier posts. do those changes and you'll get the performance boost.

lots can make difference. nvme drivers, different OS, different window versions, cstate, pcie via chipset or CPU, chipset ASPM, RST LPM, write cache, cpu overclocking, windows power profile settings etc

Have you tried using the high performance power plan in windows?

Laptops uses a lot of power saving features by default that cause hardware to be slower.

yeah i tried high performance. no difference.

looks like this is the limit of my hardware. Oh well. It's fast enough I guess.

yeah i tried high performance. no difference.

looks like this is the limit of my hardware. Oh well. It's fast enough I guess.

just high performance isnt enough.. there are settings within the high performance profile you gotta change to get more out of it lol.

I can bench my Samsung NVMe drive one day and the next it will be either 300MBps higher or lower. Just one of those things.

Anything over 600MBps is in the realm of diminishing returns anyway.

I can bench my Samsung NVMe drive one day and the next it will be either 300MBps higher or lower. Just one of those things.

Anything over 600MBps is in the realm of diminishing returns anyway.

sounds like u got major problems

Also SPECTRE and Meltdown mitigations took a lot out of Intel CPUs w.r.t. random IOPS.

sounds like u got major problems

Right so you expect a device like a SSD to score 'exactly' the same every time every day? That's...interesting.

I picked the 300MBps out of the air but it varies from one time I bother (not often, I have to use my PC for work) to run a bench to the next.

Right so you expect a device like a SSD to score 'exactly' the same every time every day? That's...interesting.

I picked the 300MBps out of the air but it varies from one time I bother (not often, I have to use my PC for work) to run a bench to the next.

it wont be exact and it wont be off much either. i'd say something along the lines of 10-20MB/s on sequential workloads at best when you're not doing anything except benchmark. 300MB/s would be WAY too much, it'd be crazy to think SSD has this kind of variation as it would get any manufacturer in trouble.

it wont be exact and it wont be off much either. i'd say something along the lines of 10-20MB/s on sequential workloads at best when you're not doing anything except benchmark. 300MB/s would be WAY too much, it'd be crazy to think SSD has this kind of variation as it would get any manufacturer in trouble.

You make it sound like its important. Only benchmarks.

You make it sound like its important. Only benchmarks.

well you are on hard forum. if you dont like performance then you wouldn't be registered here with so many posts so i'll take that as a complement.

Back