1st time playing on projector, OMG!! Pic included

wiskeychris

Limp Gawd
DSC04323.jpg

This pic in no way does this justice. Hands down the best experiance ever!!! I was playing at 1024X768 on a pretty old projector and it was amazing. It gave quake4 a very cinematic feel. I also played fear, and it too was amazing. I'm looking into buying a nice projector now, any advice?

it looks....bad....Why do you want to play on a projector? I dont see how that could be comfortable....

J-M-E has a point...quite frankly that is too extreme to be doing that all the time; although maybe that is what you should do then you don't spend every free moment glued to it...:)

Sounds like a lot of fun though, check in the HTCP forums for projector advice

Btw, search for doom projector or something, there is a thread with lotta pics of a guy that played Doom 3 on a projector, looked pretty awesome (thread is about 2 years back )

agreed, the pic doesn't look great, you must see it in person. Makes the game look 10X better.

Blakestr said:
J-M-E has a point...quite frankly that is too extreme to be doing that all the time; although maybe that is what you should do then you don't spend every free moment glued to it...:)
Im pretty sure he has already determined he likes it so what else matters dude? Have u actually tried it? doubt it...

sry that i cant help on your decision on a good projector but i would like to try that sometime.

I can say though as good as it is i dont think it would be worth the near $1000 for a good projector...

I have a load of fun playing games on my 32inch SDTV... it's not as crisp, but the colours are a little richer than my monitor, and the interlace lines really do a good job of covering up the jaggies. I can play at 800*600 and not notice them at all.

instead of fucking flaming him, why not just say it looks cool and then STFU. He said the pic didn't do justice, and I, for one, believe him. I'd love to play games on a projector, that'd be freeking awsome

Bugalaman said:
instead of fucking flaming him, why not just say it looks cool and then STFU. He said the pic didn't do justice, and I, for one, believe him. I'd love to play games on a projector, that'd be freeking awsome
You haven't tried it before? Well it's friggin awesome as long as the room is nice and dark, and you sit kinda distant from the projected image itself.

Trust me guys, I've been playing games for over 20 years and it was the best. Quake 4 made the biggest leap visually, fear looked awsome as well, but not as good as quake4. Not sure why. Felt like I was truly playing a next gen game.

Guys, I didn't say it wasn't fun, it just might wear you out alot. If you like watching tragedy, does that mean you watch Schindler's List every day? It would drain you and wear you out.

I guess I'm just lacking in gaming stamina; gotta practice more before I can upgrade to the big leagues :D

I went to my friends house for a party a couple of months ago. All I knew was that we would be playing some games and watching some movies and drinking beer, the norm for every time he threw a party, but he said something was going to be different this time and would say nothing to nobody. So, I show up, walk inside and entered seeing this massive widescreen projection of some Halo multi action going on, my jaw dropped and a beer was put in my hand and I simply sat on the couch and stared as if a very hot girl was giving me a lapdance

Blakestr said:

Sounds like a lot of fun though, check in the HTCP forums for projector advice

Btw, search for doom projector or something, there is a thread with lotta pics of a guy that played Doom 3 on a projector, looked pretty awesome (thread is about 2 years back )
I remember that thread :p It was more like a year and 3 months ago.

Playing on a 32" screen is much different than gaming on a 60" screen or bigger. The 60" will really suck you into the action like no other.

A guy i meet from 3SI car forum told me about his 700$ Toshiba projector from www.newegg.com and he loves playing his Xbox on it, after he told me the specs, i think it was great for the price! And even the new lamps were less than 200$, so over time you got a hella good deal, i think he said it could go over 100"

Edit, i was just checking to see if they had it and don't see it anymore, but you can probably still find it elsewhere on the net.

I have a projector though I haven't gamed on it. Your picture makes that projector look really bad. But i'm sure it's just a bad photo.

I use the Panasonic AE700. Awesome projector. Got it for $1990. Thier new one, the AE900, just came out and is even better still. Street price is about the same.
I'm using a 16:9 119" screen. It's the Da-lite HCCV screen.

If you haven't used a projector I seriously suggest getting one, IF you have a viewing environment where you can control the light. I have blackout blinds for all the windows that work pretty well.

mikeblas said:
Get a better screen.

well duh..... I think he's already came to that assumption.

I sure hope it didnt take you too long to think of that very informative and intelligent response. :rolleyes:

ozziegn said:
well duh..... I think he's already came to that assumption. [sic]

I sure hope it didnt [sic] take you too long to think of that very informative and intelligent response. :rolleyes:

Has he? Here, he's asking for advice about a projector. He doesn't mention anything about getting a better screen, even though the screen is the key part of the system. Even the best projector is going to look like crap on a bedsheet or a white wall.

Meanwhile, what's your contribution to the thread?

a good screen makes a difference with lighted rooms and achieves higher brightness and better contrast.

On low light rooms a screen is much less effective, so if you like gaming in the dark (which I absolutely recommend) then you don't really need to spend on a screen.

Also if you make the image slightly off-focus, jaggies become less noticeable.

sub $1,000.00 dlls projectors are getting better, there are many models with 1024x768 resolution which is great for the price. If you are willing to spend a little more you can look for a Sanyo PLV-z3 which has great IQ and supports native HDTV resolution for about 1450~1600 dlls..

Stoly said:
a good screen makes a difference with lighted rooms and achieves higher brightness and better contrast.

On low light rooms a screen is much less effective, so if you like gaming in the dark (which I absolutely recommend) then you don't really need to spend on a screen.

I'd disagree, obviously. A good screen increases brightness and contrast, prevents distortion, and helps make sure colors appear correctly. Even in the dark.

The old addage used to be that you should spend 30% of your stereo budget on your speakers. I think you should similarly not forget to budget for a good screen. It pays off.

I have a Sanyo PLV-Z3 LCD HD Projector... it ROCKS!!! a 108" (9 foot) 720p (1280x720) Monitor...

Have my PC, xbox, soon to be 360 hooked up to it.. I have a tv tuner card for tv... Nothing beats a projector.. nothing..

Best 1725 dollars I ever spent... way way way less than any CRT, LCD, DLP, Plasma HDTV. Plus there is no 108" tv, besides a projector, one the market

A projector can be very awesome if you have the right room for it, with comfortable seating, and a good viewing surface at a comfortable viewing distance. I think consoles look better on them, personally, because I like PC games for the extremely sharp picture, which I have yet to see a projector which rivals a monitor, but consoles look awesome on projectors... SSX3 and such games are a blast... whew. :)

revenant said:
A projector can be very awesome if you have the right room for it, with comfortable seating, and a good viewing surface at a comfortable viewing distance. I think consoles look better on them, personally, because I like PC games for the extremely sharp picture, which I have yet to see a projector which rivals a monitor, but consoles look awesome on projectors... SSX3 and such games are a blast... whew. :)

the projector i have is crisp and clear as my 19 viewsonic crt... Far Cry in 720p looks and feels like you are actually crawling through the jungles and grass

I don't even have a great projector, a NEC VT60, but it really beats the tar out of anything else there is IMO, the screen can be HUGE. *

Really. I have an apartment well-suited to accomodating for the throw, in fact, we've got some Super8s and 16mms we use on the same screen, so going digital projector only made sense. If I had room for a bigger screen, I could put the digital way back there where the 16 is and... But I'd need something to pull down from the ceiling and cover half the living room, I think. :D

Do it. Do it now. You'll not regret it. For screen size vs. TCO, nothing touches the projector option.

* Note: If we had a backyard here, one of my flatmates has a projection enlarger assembly from an old drive-in movie theatre. Now, I wonder what I could do with that if I had a backyard instead of an apartment, and some white-painted smooth board of some kind...

His screen is prolly fine. If you notice he took the pic with a flash, that is why it looks like snot. If he had a better screen the picture would look even worse. Turn off the flash and hold the camera very still or put it on a table.

FYI woot.com has been putting up a lot of new/refurbed projectors with good warrenties. It seemed like they were putting up atleast one projector a week with pricing from 6-900USD.

Once I move, I plan on getting one. I have never gamed on one but I think my performance would go down in FPS. Games like WoW though I think it would be awsome. Those griffin flights would be cool all over again. :D

Hey man, don't listen to all those people whining about the picture you took not looking good. I have a new Hitachi 51" HDTV, and I love playing my PC games on it, but if I take a picture of gameplay (even running in 720p mode) it doesn't do it justice either.

If you want to get a good projector, I would head over the HTPC area and ask around. Just make sure that the projector supports HD, and it has either a DVI or HDMI connection.

I use an ATi X800XL, and the catalyst drivers support DVI connection (which work for my HDMI connection as well), which is a HUGE improvement over component video output.

Anyway man, good luck, and looking forward to the screens when you get your new pics up.

I get sick when playing on my proj.
My kid and I tried playing Halo2 on it and I nearly puked.

Burnout was better, but still got me queasy after about 10 MIins.

Of course that was at like 90" diagonal, might be better if I shrunk it down a bit...

It shouldn't make you sick at all. Maybe you are just getting too old to play games? (And I don't mean that in a mean way either)

I can't ride the roller coasters more than once any more, and I am only 24. My soon to be father-in-law and I both play Counter-Strike source together, but he can only play certain games that don't have head bobbing turned on for a long time because it makes him a little sick too.

Maybe you just need to turn off head bobbing, or take some dramamine before you play?

i've played on a projector before, was a while ago but played CS, great experience, projectors do games a ton of justice, too bad i wont get the chance to play on one again any time soon

good stuff=]

I used to think that projectors could not produce image quality on par with HD DLP tvs, or plasmas, and I used to tell all my friends this.

This thanks giving (Canadian) I took a trip up to my 3rd cousins (related some how) and he had a projector and a very nice screen. He played a few concerts on the thing, and I have to say the image quality was amazing. The picture was very crisp and clear, and easily on par with 1080i from my 46" DLP, if not better. Projectors can project very nice images, I would suggest trying it in person.

Json23 said:
It shouldn't make you sick at all. Maybe you are just getting too old to play games? (And I don't mean that in a mean way either)

I can't ride the roller coasters more than once any more, and I am only 24. My soon to be father-in-law and I both play Counter-Strike source together, but he can only play certain games that don't have head bobbing turned on for a long time because it makes him a little sick too.

Maybe you just need to turn off head bobbing, or take some dramamine before you play?

Too old! listen sonny, I was playing pong when you were in your fathers underwear!

I don't think age has anything to do with it, I can ride coasters without a problem and I play all sorts of FPS shooters with heads bobbing like george micheal in a public bathroom!

i've got the panasonic PT-L500U projector...I paid 1800, you can now find it on ebay (two years later) for the 1000 dollar range.

It got absolutely rave reviews and they said it was the first projector under 2500 dollars that rivaled 10,000-15,000 dollar projectors.

The Panasonic 700 whatever that somebody mentioned is the newer model of mine. They look absolutely fantastic.

Native resolution of 1280x720 (16x9)

Playing Far Cry at 1280x720 over the DVI connector with a native 1:1 pixel map and no analog conversion is probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen associated with electronics.

Those who say it isn't awesome haven't seen it or have seen it on an old craptastic projector, of that you can be sure.

Xbox parties on the projector are awesome!

Check out this site for some starter Ideas

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

LOL!!!! That part about George Micheal was funny as hell. I couldn't keep from laughing about it. Now everyone in the office wants to know what is so funny. : )

Anyway, some people develop a sense of motion sickness as they get older, and I thought maybe that might have something to do with it. Unless it is inducing a seizure of some kind.

But if you only get a little sick, try taking non-drowsy dramamine. That seems to work for my 45 year old gaming friend.

My main TV in my house is 120" diagonal screen and a Dell MP2300 projector. For games the thing is just amazing, and no LCD blurring. I used to have a 56" HDTV and I can tell you that there is no comparison. Here are a few Pro/Con's of owning a projector (I've had this setup for over a year)

Pros:
Huge screen!
Screen takes up literally no usable space if mounted on a wall
Projector weighs 3.5lbs, my old tv weighed 320lbs
I can take the projector to lan parties!
The projector is ceiling mounted so it also takes up no usable space
The projector/screen combo cost less then my 56" HDTV by around $1300
Projectors are PC ready so when you plug one in you get crystal clear images
There are more but this is enough to get you started

Cons:
The lightbulb only lasts around 2000 hours and costs $350 to replace
You need to have a decently dark room, and total darkness to REALLY enjoy it

The projector I have does HDTV as well, its interpolated, but nobody can tell the difference when watching it, it looks that good. My friend's dad has a 42" plasma screen that cost him over 5K, and it weighs over 100 lbs. The HDTV on it is great, but he has crappy HDTV from cable so it still doesn't look as good as my dish on my projector.

If you guys want some pics, I have an awesome camera, I can take pictures of some games on it with someone standing next to it for size comparison. Oh, I forgot about one other con, if you are at a lan and you are the only one with a projector, your screen is big enough for everyone to see so everyone knows where you are. Now, this is kinda a con, or, if you are a good aim, it just means more people will find you faster so you can frag them easier! OK, I'm done now...

I have an InFocus project which I use every now and then for console and movies. It is nice from time to time. I would check them out as well.

We use a projector from Dell here at work, the name of the brand starts with an "E" I think. I don't remember the exact name of the brand, but I imagine that Dell only sales so many types, so it would probably be the only brand name starting with the letter "E". Anyway, it looks pretty damn good, even in a partially lit room.

Back