1st Ncase Build, confused about how to connect 3 fans -_-

sonicd0012

n00b
Hello guys, first time PC build here, I am using the Asus z270i motherboard. I have purchased the NH-UN9S and NF-A9 PWM and the NF-S12A PWM. This is a total of 3 fans. On this motherboard I am not sure how each of these fans should be connected.

Do i plug in the fan on the cooler in the CPU fan pin?
Or do i have to use the supplied Y splitter for these ? If yes, how do i set these up properly with the Y Splitter and to which header do I plug what in specifically. Hoping there is video but i did not find it.

p.s There is no AIO cooling for this rig.

Thank you

I have purchased the NH-UN9S…

Do i plug in the fan on the cooler in the CPU fan pin?

Yes

…and NF-A9 PWM and the NF-S12A PWM.

Or do i have to use the supplied Y splitter for these ? If yes, how do i set these up properly with the Y Splitter and to which header do I plug what in specifically.

Since there is only one other fan header on this MB, you would need to use the Y-splitter for the two chassis fans…

If you're using the NF-A9 as a second fan for your U9S then use the y-splitter to connect both U9S fans to the CPU header. Otherwise, use the splitter to connect the 92mm and 120mm case fans to the second fan header.

If you're using the NF-A9 as a second fan for your U9S then use the y-splitter to connect both U9S fans to the CPU header. Otherwise, use the splitter to connect the 92mm and 120mm case fans to the second fan header.

Thank you, would i connect the 92 & 120 to the AIO Fan header or to the CHA fan header?

Also, how did other folks connect many multiple other fans? And to what headers?

Thank you, would i connect the 92 & 120 to the AIO Fan header or to the CHA fan header?

Also, how did other folks connect many multiple other fans? And to what headers?

Look, you're really, really overthinking this, I promise. My guess is that you're nervous about not having done this before and that's expressing itself as inordinate worry about the fans.

As to which header to use : Either should be fine. Or one to each. Get wild.

Hook the fans in the way that's the most convenient and lets you best manage the cables. As long as they're plugged in (And the CPU fan is on the CPU fan header), you're good to go.

People who connect a bunch of extra fans either want them modulated by the graphics card, in which case they plug them into said graphics card, or they use a fan controller (Which is basically just a larger version of the Y-splitter you have.)

The AIO header has a PWM mode in the bios, so you can plug your second case fan into it.

I don't know how many places you have to hook up fans in your case, but the motherboard is lacking like mine was... I used a Thermaltake Commander FX SATA Powered 10 Port Fan Hub in my ITX build for every fan besides the CPU cooler... They are all Noctua fans that have good airflow and are stupidly quiet anyway, so it didn't matter that the motherboard isn't controlling their speed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know how many places you have to hook up fans in your case, but the motherboard is lacking like mine was... I used a Thermaltake Commander FX SATA Powered 10 Port Fan Hub in my ITX build for every fan besides the CPU cooler... They are all Noctua fans that have good airflow and are stupidly quiet anyway, so it didn't matter that the motherboard isn't controlling their speed.
That's a pretty cool little thing, I haven't seen that before.

I picked it up because who doesn't have a spare SATA plug around? Besides, I hate using splitters. More wires around. I have a pair of Noctua NF-S12A FLX and a
BitFenix BFF-BLF-23030G-RP Spectre 230mm that are plugged into the fan hub... They work like they aught to. Oh, that fan hub is 6$ cheaper now than when I bought it.

Back