1st look on asus P5K-VM: G33 matx board

So using the regular P5K mobo's bios is alright in this situation? I'm assuming that the regular P5K boards allow 2.2v on ram.

Recently I've been experiencing a consistent failure to completely power down on my P5K-VM when I've overclocked the CPU (see my sig for my config). Didn't experience it at first. Went from the 0401 BIOS to the 0602 to see if it would fix it, it did not. Every time I shutdown, the OS does shut down normally, but the system doesn't complete power down. Power light stays on, fans still spin, etc. If I reset, go into the BIOS, load defaults, and booth with defaults then it shuts down fine. I go back into the BIOS, customize the defaults so I'm overclocking again, and the failure to completely shutdown returns. Haven't seen anything quite like it before. I can of course hold down the power button to get it to force shutdown, but that isn't exactly ideal. Anyone else experience it, and are there any solutions other than not to overclock?

my currenty system is ...

Core 2 duo e6750 2x2.66 ghz 1333 FSB
2 Gig 6400 800mhz ocz low latency platinum ram
xfx 8600gt
Asus Asus P5K-VM 1333 FSB
Hiper 580watt PSU
Optiarc DVD D/L RW
SFF Cube Case
Microsoft Vista Home Premium

can someone tell me how to overclock this please??
i have tried but i am getting no where... doesn't until it restarts and says overclocking failured and the starts up in bios default settings...

hahaha

oops "duh" hahaha

so basically if you want your c2d to run on an matx platform, this is the way to go?

this is the best mobo out there in matx format for a c2d or a c2q ?

Well I actually want to build a pc for my mom and my gf's mom ... I was thinking about this MOBO and maybe an Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 ... and OC it to like 2.4 Ghz ...

my mom uses the pc to basically just surf the web,chat on msn with her sister ... and nothing special, sometimes when my sister gets tired of using her laptop,she might do some school work on the pc like some word and powerpoint presentations etc. but nothing WOW...
my gf's mom is a teachers, and she does her school projects etc etc on the pc and internet surfing etc etc also loves to chat...

so none will do heavy graphics designing or a lot of multi tasking like "wowwwww look at her doing her maya stuff" lol

please advise

Are these too high? (CoreTemp temps in parentheses)

T = Speedfan (CoreTemp)
Tload = 42 C (57 C)
Tidle = 27 C (42 C)
Tambient = 26 C

No OC, everything auto.

Setup: E4300, XP-120, Microfly with extra 120s (1 in, 1 out), HX520, P5K-VM, Ballistix, new bios (0601?). Thinking my XP-120 is not doing its job. :eek:

Any commentary?

now I'm trying to use wake on lan, but in bios there is no item named clear as "wake on lan".
I see only:
wake on external modem
wake by pci event
wake by pcix event
which one is correct?
or this mobo doesn't support wake on lan? :(

the next step will be to get working wol in my usr 9105 router...
for sending packet through internet I found:
http://2noci.3dana.com/wol/wake.php
but I don't know if it works.

which one is correct?
or this mobo doesn't support wake on lan? :(

i would try wake by PCI devices...technically, the internal network card is a PCI device, even though it's built in.
also, under device manager in windows, go to the nic's properties...under advanced, turn on "wake from shutdown" and under power management, turn on "allow this device to wake this computer".

Recently I've been experiencing a consistent failure to completely power down on my P5K-VM when I've overclocked the CPU (see my sig for my config). Didn't experience it at first. Went from the 0401 BIOS to the 0602 to see if it would fix it, it did not. Every time I shutdown, the OS does shut down normally, but the system doesn't complete power down. Power light stays on, fans still spin, etc. If I reset, go into the BIOS, load defaults, and booth with defaults then it shuts down fine. I go back into the BIOS, customize the defaults so I'm overclocking again, and the failure to completely shutdown returns. Haven't seen anything quite like it before. I can of course hold down the power button to get it to force shutdown, but that isn't exactly ideal. Anyone else experience it, and are there any solutions other than not to overclock?

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that the cause of the problem was my Razor Lachesis. Went back to my Logitech G5 (rev. 2) and the problem went away.

My CPU (E2180 - 2ghz) seems quite happy at 3ghz but only with FSB around 333. I can run memory at 900 happily everything at defaults and it passes Prime happily.

What settings do I need to change to enable the FSB to run at 400+? I'd prefer running the CPU at 7x430 rather than 9X333 (both 3ghz) but anything above 350FSB it barfs.

Grateful for some pointers as to what settings to change to get FSB up.

Anyone able to help on my FSB raising query? I'll need to run higher FSB if I want to overclock a Wolfdale on this board.

I've heard a lot of times 800Mhz FSB CPUs hit a FSB wall. You might try during a BSEL mod on the CPU to make it strap @ 1066Mhz. You may not have the issue with 1066 or 1333 CPUs. ;) No guarantees though...

I am going to be buying this mobo in the next couple of days, and I have decided to hook it up with:
Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4Ghz, 12 x multiplier)
Corsair VX450W
Corsair XMS2 pc2-5400 DDR2-667 CL4 (2x1Gb)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 250Gb SATA
Samsung DVD RW (I already have this)

That is all I can afford right now, but as a first build, would this give me a reasonable (and stable) setup? I won't be gaming with it, and I'll only overclock it slightly, but it should give me scope to upgrade in a couple of years to quad core and 8Gb ram...

I am going to be buying this mobo in the next couple of days, and I have decided to hook it up with:
Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4Ghz, 12 x multiplier)
Corsair VX450W
Corsair XMS2 pc2-5400 DDR2-667 CL4 (2x1Gb)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 250Gb SATA
Samsung DVD RW (I already have this)

That is all I can afford right now, but as a first build, would this give me a reasonable (and stable) setup? I won't be gaming with it, and I'll only overclock it slightly, but it should give me scope to upgrade in a couple of years to quad core and 8Gb ram...

If you're only overclocking "slightly" then go for a lower model like the e4300. You can use the extra cash to upgrade your harddrive to a 500gb or something. Also, if you'd like, you can list your sources and their prices, and perhaps we can find something better.

If you're only overclocking "slightly" then go for a lower model like the e4300. You can use the extra cash to upgrade your harddrive to a 500gb or something. Also, if you'd like, you can list your sources and their prices, and perhaps we can find something better.

I'm new to all this so please correct me if I'm wrong! I'd like to try to overclock the cpu as much as I can with the heatsink that comes with it, (and maybe see if I can speed up the ram slightly) and from what I understand this will be easier with the E4600. The price difference where I live between the E4300 and the E4600 is only 8 Euros (less than $10) which doesn't buy much(!), and I already have a 320Gb external HD, so I'm not sure if I need the extra capacity....

I live in The Netherlands, I'm buying from a store called EMPC.

hi all, now i use a p5k-vm and have a problem, when i set fsb at 333, my e2140 stable with auto vcore, but when when i set fsb 350 ( 350*8=2.8G ) , my computer have not passed , cant start and log on to win , althought i set vcore to 1.4 ( vdrop is 1.3 ), ram divider is 1-1 ( 700 ), my computer component is :
main: p5k-vm
cpu: e2140 ( MO )
psu: acbel I power 400w
vga: 8600gt
ram: 2x1G team value 800
hdd: samsung 160 sata 2
dvd rw: liteon

can anyone can tell what is going on and how can i fix?
a other question :
is this main have autolock pci bus at 33 MHz?

I have just read that this board will not accept IDE optical drives, only SATA optical drives - can anyone confirm this for me? If this is the case then I will be buying the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R instead....

i am thinking about this motherboard. i am wondeirng which ram is good for this board. since this board support up to 2.1v.

i was wondering does this ram (BL2KIT12864AA804) support this board. i am building a htpc with this board.

this is my system :

4350 video card
e8400
ram ( i dont know yet). i want at least 2 GB .
Asus P5k-vm

please list the ram that is suitable for this board.

Thank you

I can confirm it works fine @ standard DDR2 voltage 1.8V :)

The wolfdale CPU's aren't listed in the P5K-VM CPU-support list. I installed an E8200 with the latest BIOS update (0602) and it works fine, the board even recognizes it without an error :)

Some issues:
* the heatsink on the G33 northbridge chipset is very hot on touch. Anyone tried to install an aftermarket Heatsink?
* the BIOS CPU-temperature is wrong, way too cold! (-5°C on boot)

ARGH, this board is killing me :confused:

The damn thing doesn't want to cold boot when:

* MSI 7900GTO installed at PCI-E 16x slot
* <<Initiate Graphic Adapter>> set to [PEG/IGD] (or [PEG/PCI], doesn't matter)
* <<Internal Graphics Mode Select>> set to [Disabled]

I can reproduce the cold boot thing by 1) turning off the computer, 2) unplug power cord, 3) wait few seconds till green led is off, 4) plug powercord in, 5) power up pc.

Power on...
Power LED on...
Immediately power off...
**pause**
Power on...
Power LED on...
HDD LED activity...
nothing (no screen, no HDD LED activity, ...)

It SEEMS I don't have this issue when using IGD (no PCI-E card)...

What am I doing wrong with the PCI-E addon card? PLEASE help. Greatly appreciated :)

specs:
ASUS P5K-VM with 0602 BIOS
INTEL E8200
CRUCIAL Ballistix 2x1GB PC6400 (set to 2.1V in BIOS, but boots at 1.8V)
HITACHI T7K500 500GB SATAII
SAMSUNG DVD+-RW
MSI 7900GTO 512MB

EDIT:
Sending it back.

I can't shake the cold/reboot issue no matter what I do.

- If I can get it into Windows it's 100% rock solid no matter what. 3DMark06 loop, dual prime, WHATEVER

- Half the time, no matter what my overclock was (of even if there was no overclock) the system will not:

- Reboot
- Restart after a successful shutdown

What happens is the GPU fan spins at maximum (indicating an unsuccessful POST)

I have no idea what the deal was. If it was a grounding or power issue it would flake out in Windows for sure during stress testing.

EXACTLY the same thing...

Okay, I think I've found the problem.

The system powering itself ON/OFF/ON when booting means "overclocking failed". Also the GPU fan is spinning 100%.

Overclocking what? My systems is unoverclocked, stock.

I've tested some cases with the RAM.
I use CRUCIAL Ballistix 2x1GB PC6400 (BL1286AA804.16FD3).

** SINGLE CHANNEL **
Both memory modules are working fine in every FOUR DIMM banks.

** DUAL CHANNEL **
DIMM1 (yellow) and DIMM3 (yellow): power on/off/on, overclocking failed, no screen, gpu fan 100%
DIMM2 (black) and DIMM4 (black): the system boots fine

What the f*ck? This means that DIMM1&3 don't want to work in Dual Channel mode :confused:

I've tested this a dozen of times, DC in yellow DIMMs => nothing. DC in black DIMMs => OK :rolleyes:

P5K-VM do not like 200 fsb CPUs. I coould not run a E2140 over 350Mhz either. I am running a E6300 at 450Mhz fsb though. My E2140 is running in a P5K Deluxe (P35) at 400Mhz fsb as we speak. P35 chipsets run the 200fsb CPUss at 400Mhz in most cases.

P5K-VM do not like 200 fsb CPUs. I coould not run a E2140 over 350Mhz either. I am running a E6300 at 450Mhz fsb though. My E2140 is running in a P5K Deluxe (P35) at 400Mhz fsb as we speak. P35 chipsets run the 200fsb CPUss at 400Mhz in most cases.

I'm waiting for this mobo in the mail, I hope to use my E4600 at 333Mhz (x 9 multiplier) with my Corsair XMS2 PC-5400C4 using the 1:1 ratio. Should give me almost 3.0Ghz with the stock cooling I have without any issues (I hope!!)...

I have no problem running E4500 at 320 x 10 with 1:1 ratio using DDR2 800 RAM at 4-4-4-12. My temps are mid 32-33C at idle low 40's while gaming....can't remember my VID, but it's reasonable with much headroom.

Heh, and here I was worried my mobo couldn't clock worth a damn. My E2180 is limited at 320 fsb. Hopefully with a Q6700, I can hit at least 400 fsb.

What would be ideal temp of the m/b in degrees Celius.

Atm mine is running at 55 C after 10min of activity. Its making my RAM and Video Card get hot too. North Bridge Heatsink extremely hot to touch.

I'm gonna purchase a case fan to stick on the front to push air thru, is already a fan at the back sucking air out.

I Would like to know what temp i should aim for, I know these boards record hotter temps than others, because where temp sensor is located. But bare this in mind, i dont want to keep spending money i dont have just to get m/b temp down 35 C. Where it would be ok temp at 45 C.

Loving this board so far, my first ever build, and first ever overclock! I have now reached what I was aiming for with my E4600: fsb@335 (ram at 671MHz with 1:1 divider ratio), multiplier 9 = 3.05GHz, VDIMM set to 1.9v manually, timings also manually set to 4-4-412 (this is what the Corsair PC2-5400 is rated at, but the SPD is 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v so I had to change it).

Last night I played with the Vcore as on auto it was at 1.31v, so I now have it set manually in the BIOS at 1.275v (hardware monitor in BIOS reads 1.240v). I then did the vdrop pencil mod which now gives a drop of 0.024v, and now it is running at 62 degrees under full load (my cooling sucks as I am using my old Compaq case until I can afford to buy a better one, so no intake fan at the front!). Ran Prime95 last night for 10 hours no problems, then re-enabled all the power savings, runs really nice now!

I had a spare 80mm case fan lying around, so I managed to attach it to the side panel where there is a grill, directly over the cpu, but strangely it hasn't had any effect on temps...anyone recommend a decent case for around the $100 mark (that I can easily get here in Europe!)?

Coolermaster Elite 340 works well. Cut away the metal grills to free up air movement.
Modded mine to have two 120mm in the front (instead of 1) as well as a 120mm in the back and a 4th 120mm on the heatsink. Temperatures are almost too cool right now, Could probably dump the 2nd fan in the front and still be fine.

Coolermaster Elite 340 works well. Cut away the metal grills to free up air movement.

That's a good idea, out with the grinder tomorrow!! Should I worry about dust being sucked in that much more easily now though? Not that the room is that dirty or anything!

Hi guys. I need your help to do one thing. I have a MSI G33M-Fi, and i whould like to do vdrop mod (pencil mod), but i only find pictures of it of DS2R and P5K-VM. Can you help me please?

PS: My board can adjust vdimm up to 3.3v ;) :D

Cheers :p

Back