1st look on asus P5K-VM: G33 matx board

For quadcores people are favoring the DS2R because of its higher FSB numbers which is even more important because quads need the highest fsb numbers to get them to good OC settings. All mobos have vdroop up to a point from my understanding. Some are are worse than others though. Not sure which of the two (DS2R & P5K-VM) has the worst/best vdroop. I havent seen alot of talk about it really.

Whatever you do, don't try to use ASUS Update from in Windows to update your BIOS if you have an X-Fi card installed with this motherboard. Turns out there's an incompatibility which can cause ASUS Update to irrevocably corrupt your BIOS. As the BIOS is not socketed, that means you have to RMA your motherboard back to ASUS for a replacement... :(

I just had this happen to me. I'm running XP x64, but a quick google search turned up lots of people experiencing problems so I don't think it is isolated to just XP x64.

Since there is a flash updater built into the P5K-VM BIOS, I imagine that it will work ok since I don't think the X-Fi can interfere at that point.

Anyone have any experience fitting a Thermalright 120 Extreme into a Silverstone TJ08 or an Antec 3480 with this motherboard?

yes sir!
tr ultra 120 has the same size except 4hp only:

even though it is the ga-g33m in my nsk3400, my p5kvm +the ultra120 will fit perfectly in this nsk3400 (or nsk3480)

anyone has problem with usb ports align within i/o shield?
the two first usb ports on the left, under keyboard port, can't be used.
devices don't plug in, because i/o shield partially covers them.

I don't have this problem in my Antec Fusion. I have a USB keyboard and IR remote control plugged into those two USB ports right now, as a matter of fact.

Yeah, I have that exact problem with my board installed in a Lanbox Lite (standoffs are part of the motherboard tray, so I certainly don't have the wrong height).

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink? I have a theory that board flex is contributing to this problem. I am curious if people who don't have the problem are using heatsinks that have backplates or different mounting mechanisms that don't flex the motherboard as much as the stock Intel heatsink does.

Yeah, I have that exact problem with my board installed in a Lanbox Lite (standoffs are part of the motherboard tray, so I certainly don't have the wrong height).

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink? I have a theory that board flex is contributing to this problem. I am curious if people who don't have the problem are using heatsinks that have backplates or different mounting mechanisms that don't flex the motherboard as much as the stock Intel heatsink does.
nope. intel stock here (keeps my Q6600 at stock speeds at a cool 58c lol)

it's very easy!
Use a graphite pencil 4B on the area shown here:
G7123.jpg
!
It is done on this pics.
results in my case e6850@4ghz: vcore [email protected]
prior pencil mod: idle vcore real=1.54v, full load vcore=1.47v
after pencil mod: idle vcore real=1.54v, full load vcore=1.50v

thanks for the info pvhk. I notice you have your thermalright with the fan facing towards the video card. Does it provide better cooling that way? I would have assumed having the fan facing towards the hard drives and blowing to the rear case fan would have been more optimal?

Also anyone have any experience with either the gigabyte 2sr or the p5k-vm and 4gigs of ram plus a soundblaster x-fi running vista 64?

Pvhk is running tests on the new G31 S2. I got the P5K-VM but just running 2Gb and XP Pro so cant help you there. Its a great mobo and I havent had any trouble with it. I doubt running 4Gb would be a problem. Probably cant get as high of a OC with 4Gb RAM as a 2Gb setup though. That may or may not be a issue depending on wether you are a heavy OCer or not.

Not planning on it. Just want a quiet, small system, probably an E6750 with 4gb, an 8800gts, and an x-fi. I like to overclock but I've never been terribly lucky with them. The only solid overclocks I ever had were a celeron 533a that went to 800, and a pentium 75 that went to 100. The rest of my overclocks did well initially but later suffered from the SNDS type symptoms so I always backed them off eventually.

also for my silverstone sg02 standoffs are part of motherboard tray.
I use the standard intel boxed cooler.
I don't think cpu cooler can flex the mobo so much.
I'll try mounting the mobo in another case, to see if there's some difference.

I mounted p5k-vm in a tower case, and the result is the same: usb ports are not pluggable!

nray: what are you going to do?

To manage to plug the 2 usb , i was compelled to cut off the piece of metal (on the backplate) between the 2 usb femal port in order to have one "big hole":
G7158copier.jpg

Is there any sign of an X38 based mATX board from Gigabyte, Asus et al?

Is there any sign of an X38 based mATX board from Gigabyte, Asus et al?

Not yet. Kinda depends on when the ATX X38s come out. Maybe a month after they do. Maybe longer. Nothing has been officially announced that I know of. I know some people are guesstimating Q1 2008. May see it before that though (Christmas). Hard to say.

after a search on google i ended up here:) just got the p5k-vm, and the undervolting just kills me. at 1,6V in bios mine does 1,45 with an E6600@3,3ghz but the thing that kills me the most is the memory voltage. 2,1V in bios gives 1,95V read with AI suite. and thats just nothing at all. thus my memory stops the OC @ 370fsb. and my ram does 440fsb @2,1V

so over to the question...how do you do above 400fsb when thers no voltage for the memory, and u even vent to 500fsb. makes me wonder

thanks for a great review;)

fsb@500 can be hit with my x6800, but i used the lower multi (6x) to test the max fsb!
the vddr on my p5kvm when set to 2.10v is really @2.10v!
And the fact that setting [email protected] under bios resulting in 1.55v under windows is called vdrop!
That 's the reason why my x6800 maxed out @3.6ghz on the p5kvm (not enough vcore)!
(BTW: max screen with this x6800 on abit fi90hd @3.9Ghz [email protected])
I did nothing particular to hit fsb@500!
But to hit 4Ghz with my e6850, i had to perform the vdroop mod...

Thanx pvhk for clearing the vddr, i had problems at 9x380 when i noticed the 1,95V read with AI suit i tested 8x380 and still no go so i just asumed it to be where it all stoped. anyhow today i did 2hrs prime @ 7x430. doing the vdroop mod after work today hopefuly thing will improve. allso thinking my psu aint to stable on the 12V (hiper480W)

just did the Vmod, did 10 pencil strokes on the spot in the picture. so a major layer on it with a 4B pencil and the result is just awsome...... no vdrop what so ever. got a crappy E6600 thats only pimestaable @ 3,4

pvhk: did u use such a thick layer? if not, maby 4ghz might be stable? thicker layer lesser Vdrop?

SRY. noob on the forum so no pic but link to a norwegian thread enjoy:D

http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=775170&st=1200#entry9577070

my e6850 is rock stable @4Ghz on my p5kvm with the vdroop mod (there is less vdroop than before)! ;)

what for? everything needed is available except much more vcore that can be resolved in part by the vdroop mod!

well, there might be a need for a mooded bios when it comes to vddr, 2,2V or 2,3V would not hurt ant one:)

but as said before the vdrop mot just solves allmost everything, now 1,6 actualy is 1,6V

I'm getting absolutely HUGE vdroops with my P5K-VM, but I'm lucky because it isn't holding back my overclock at all as I've gotten my E6750 (2.66ghz) overclocked to 3.76ghz with a 470mhz frontside bus. I'm using a zalman CNPS9500 on it. At idle, it hovers around 33 degrees celsius and under load, core temp 0.95.4 never reads higher than 52 degrees. Under load, CPU-Z shows my vcore fluctuating between 1.424v and 1.432v. (I have it set at 1.5v in the bios, which scares me a little).

So my question is, when does too much vcore become a problem? I've read that as long the CPU stays cool, high vcore shouldn't be an issue but I'd like some more opinions on this. If I'm at 52 degrees under load, and 1.432v do I have headroom without significantly raising the risk to damaging my cpu?

some Vcore is ok if temps are ok:) u can do the Vdrop mod. its very easy takes about 3-4 sec to do it.

what about CF, can this card do it with the pci-e x4 and one x16?

some Vcore is ok if temps are ok:) u can do the Vdrop mod. its very easy takes about 3-4 sec to do it.

what about CF, can this card do it with the pci-e x4 and one x16?

Actually I think I'm going to hold off. As it turns out, it's not quite as stable as I thought at 3.76ghz. I managed a reboot at this speed so I backed it down a little and running high load for an extended period of time @3.6ghz got my CPU up to 55 degrees celsius. That's getting close to the upper end of comfort for me, but I'm quite happy with this overclock.

Do some certain situations, I bought this board. It came with a blue box. I also paired it with an E2180 SLA8Y M0 processor. Build to be up soon.

p5kvm.JPG

Hi,

Anyone using 4 GB installed in the P5K-VM and running Windows XP 32-bit?

How much memory do you have available? 2.75 GB or 3.24 GB? (or something between)

Thanks!

I'm running the 0401 BIOS. Is there a newer BIOS? I want to know if I can get 2.2v on my ram voltages. I think that's one of the factors limiting my OC right now.

Back