1st look on asus P5K-VM: G33 matx board

pvhk

Gawd
Asus has bring out at last its new g33 mb!
Will it perform like the top of the line Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R?

Some pics of the retail version of this mb:

The bundle:

The mb:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/pvhk/?action=view&current=G71066copier.jpg

Full solids caps!

My rig:
x6800 + crucial ballistix 5300 + seasonic S12 II 380w + nvidia TNT 16Mo PCI:

A closer look to the motherboard:
back panel & Q connectors:

Mofsets & capacitors around the socket:

PPL and bios eprom soldered to the mb:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/pvhk/?action=view&current=G71078copier.jpg

The rig for all my benches using an old quantum fireball 4.5Gb with wxp used for all my previous test (f-i90hd, ga-g33m-ds2r):

Take a look at the bios options:
ratio unlocked downward and also upward for x6800 (up to 13x)

vcore max 1.60v:

vcore min 1.15v:

vddr up to 2.10v:

The famous DRAM frequency!!! the same issue as the gigabyte?

fsb set to @300 (x6800):

fsb set to @400 (x6800):

fsb max @800:

onboard video can be disabled in bios!

update your bios easily and safely!

boot into windows:
fsb@300:

fsb@400:

fsb@450:

So this asus P5K-VM gives us at last this missing ratio 1:1 fsb/ram with a c2d fsb1066 and performs at least like its rival the gigabyte!

Let the e4300 take place!
[email protected]
fsb@266 ram set to 667:
4300-1.jpg

fsb@266, ram set to 800 in bios:

fsb@266, ram set to 887 in bios:

For those who want this ratio 1:1, see what dividers are unlocked when fsb is set to @333 with a c2d fsb800:

:eek: :eek:

Boot under windows:

this mb really rocks! The ratio 1:1 is available when you set fsb@333 with a c2d fsb800!

After giving us the ratio 1:1 for all c2d, can this mb gives us more?

So let's play now with the fsb using an x6800!

fsb@470

fsb@486, ratio 6x, ram sync:

fsb@495:

And finally fsb@500, [email protected], ratio 6x:

ok, so try now to push for example 4300 with its stock multiplier and see how high we can get!!!
do you still have your 6600?
I'm sure everyone would like to see how it goes with stock multipliers...!!!

I could have sworn i replied to this thread yesterday.

Anyways, thanks PVHK for sharing with us your review and results with this mobo. It looks really promising.

What do you think are the weaknesses of this board if any?

I had to create the thread again cause [H] loose all data on this forum (read kyle bennett announcement)

@sleepeeg3! the last screens was for you! ;)

@dandrop: the drawbacks of this mobo is the lack of raid (ICH9), vddr limited up to 2.10v (but lots of memory ratio compared to giga)

The bios, as i said in the first dead thread, is a solid one (same behavior as giga)
Something important is that the chipset heatsink is not as warm as the gigabyte G33!

I was trying to remember this myself... lacks RAID and what else?

I noticed - thank you very much! We have a new winner.

Okay, I havent looked deep at it yet but the biggies was lacks RAID, HDCP, DVI, and eSATA supposedly. All I can remember for now.

Edit: Oh, and vDIMM limited to 2.1v

500 on the FSB, absolutely jaw dropping for matx.

I would think the only limit is how well you can cool the processor in an matx case.

Can anyone estimate how long it will be until this board come to the USA? And/or does anyone in europe want to sell me this board on ebay :p My socket 754 system is on its last legs and my e6600 is on the way... need to find it a nice home soon...

Can anyone estimate how long it will be until this board come to the USA? And/or does anyone in europe want to sell me this board on ebay :p My socket 754 system is on its last legs and my e6600 is on the way... need to find it a nice home soon...

Why not go with the Gigabyte, you'll be able to hit around 3GHz with an e6600 with DDR2-800 even if your memory refuses to go above 800...

Though for the lower multi cpu's, this board would be nice. Besides the horrible color and lack of raid, though the lack of memory voltages could be an issue with the really low multi's as well.. But still, being able to get my e6300 past 3.0 would be nice. It's an older one and I've been wondering just how fast it would go for a while, so I may be tempted to wait until this comes out in the US myself. Though I really do hate how it looks...

The Gigabyte mobo hit the USA 2 or 3 weeks after Europe go it so I'm guessing the same for the ASUS although they are two different manufacturers. In time for the July 22nd Intel price drop I'm betting anyway.

Something important is that the chipset heatsink is not as warm as the gigabyte G33!

This is probably the biggest reason why I am considering this board more than the gigabyte. Heat is my enemy. Except the sun, in moderation :cool:

Maybe pvhk would be willing to oblige us with temperature readings off both boards to verify this claim.

This is probably the biggest reason why I am considering this board more than the gigabyte. Heat is my enemy. Except the sun, in moderation :cool:

Maybe pvhk would be willing to oblige us with temperature readings off both boards to verify this claim.
I want to say more! the chipset heatsink is not even damn burning fsb@500!
But you could argue, your tests are made out of the box! but all my first tests are made in this manner.
For the first time, with this mb i will not mount a third party NB cooler as i did for the abit or giga!

Dang it... Now I really wish I would have waited... I picked up the Gigabyte... putting my old E6300 in it and have some 1033 Speed Ram in this week for it... I like the bios in this one (matches my P5B Deluxe WiFi board :( *sigh* dang u gigabyte and your lacking 1:1 ratio support.

Another plus is that ASUS has always been strong in BIOS updates. They tend to crank them out on a regular basis. Wether the P5K-VM needs updates or not remains to be seen. Good to know that if it does ASUS will provide them. :D

How does the FSB:Mem ratio change? X-bit labs - Asus P5K Deluxe Mainboard Review reported that the selectable ratios change as FSB increases:

• FSB between 200 and 220: 3:5 (667), 1:2 (800)
  • FSB between 221 and 292: 4:5 (667), 2:3 (800), 3:5 (889), 1:2 (1066)
  • FSB over 292: 1:1 (667), 5:6 (800), 4:5 (833), 2:3 (1000), 5:8 (1066), 3:5 (1111), 1:2 (1333)
irrespective of the processor FSB. Is P5K-VM the same as P5K Deluxe?

BTW BIOS version 0404 of P5K Deluxe allows switching Strap frequency manually.

further details with ratio fsb/mem unlocked when raising fsb@450 with x6800:

lots of choice indeed!

How does the FSB:Mem ratio change? X-bit labs - Asus P5K Deluxe Mainboard Review reported that the selectable ratios change as FSB increases:

• FSB between 200 and 220: 3:5 (667), 1:2 (800)
  • FSB between 221 and 292: 4:5 (667), 2:3 (800), 3:5 (889), 1:2 (1066)
  • FSB over 292: 1:1 (667), 5:6 (800), 4:5 (833), 2:3 (1000), 5:8 (1066), 3:5 (1111), 1:2 (1333)
irrespective of the processor FSB. Is P5K-VM the same as P5K Deluxe? YES

BTW BIOS version 0404 of P5K Deluxe allows switching Strap frequency manually.

from 266 to 292:

from 293 to 800:

Concerning the vcore, i noticed significant vdrop:

vcore @1.50v set in bios results in 1.38v under windows (idle)
[email protected] in bios results in 1.41v under windows!

Concerning the vdroop : between 0.01-0.02v (vcore idle/load)

(PSU used : seasonic s12 II 380w)

:eek: Thats a huge amount of droop, I thought these newer Asus MB's had "Enable Voltage Damper" or something like that in the BIOS that solved the VDroop issue? :confused:

What kind of RAM would be good for this board & overclocking? Especially considering the 2.1V limit? I notice most high end memory wants 2.2V...

What kind of RAM would be good for this board & overclocking? Especially considering the 2.1V limit? I notice most high end memory wants 2.2V...

Pvhk has been using Crucial Ballistix sticks in his tests (read his sig) to good effect. I'd say they would be one good choice.

I noticed pvhk was using balllistix too but those dimms are rated for 2.2V according to crucial. Knowing my luck, I won't be able to get away with that :(

You will be able to use crucial ballistix!
They are certified @2.2v using tight timings 3-3-3-4-12 @667Mhz!
However, if those timings are relaxed you can lowered vddr without any issue (my crucial value 5300 with the sames chps on it micro d9gmh are certified @1.8v 5-5-5-15)

My rig in its box:

hello,
I am new in this forum :D and I believe that I am going to be making questions for my future system and to try to contribute something. Well, I have read that the gigabyte ds2r has 6 phases power of being able. (Im not German, but I think to understand this http://62.109.81.232/cgi-bin/sbb/sbb.cgi?&a=show&forum=12&show=278&start=150 ).
How many phase power have this p5k-vm? 6 also?
Can it be cause of vdrop? :confused:

Thanks and greetings.

edit for pd: sorry my english

hello,
I am new in this forum :D and I believe that I am going to be making questions for my future system and to try to contribute something. Well, I have read that the gigabyte ds2r has 6 phases power of being able. (Im not German, but I think to understand this http://62.109.81.232/cgi-bin/sbb/sbb.cgi?&a=show&forum=12&show=278&start=150 ).
How many phase power have this p5k-vm? 6 also?
Can it be cause of vdrop? :confused:

Thanks and greetings.

edit for pd: sorry my english
the voltage regulators around the socket 775 of the giga seems more "furnished" than the asus one:

more mofsets & capacitors...

the voltage regulators around the socket 775 of the giga seems more "furnished" than the asus one:

more mofsets & capacitors...

This is one of the reasons why I went with the G33M-DS2R over the P5K-VM. Then again, efficient design is more important than component count but the Giga "looked" better in that respect.

Maybe!
The counterpart: higher fsb and much more memory divider either for c2d fsb800 or c2d fsb1066 for the p5kvm!

This is one of the reasons why I went with the G33M-DS2R over the P5K-VM. Then again, efficient design is more important than component count but the Giga "looked" better in that respect.
It had nothing to do with the DS2R coming out first? ;)

Maybe!
The counterpart: higher fsb and much more memory divider either for c2d fsb800 or c2d fsb1066 for the p5kvm!
^ All that matters. If the board had one giant oversized cap, but overclocks better and runs stable, I can tell you which board I will be buying...

I like this Asus board, would've been darn near perfect with an ESATA port and slightly higher VDIMM options. It's going to be a tough choice between this and the Gigabyte for a lot of people IMO.

It had nothing to do with the DS2R coming out first? ;)

^ All that matters. If the board had one giant oversized cap, but overclocks better and runs stable, I can tell you which board I will be buying...

No it had nothing with the DS2R coming first as I had the choice between both as they were BOTH in stock. Im not planning on a extreme O/C as using a matx case will have thermal issues with drastic overclocks.

Back