1K OCZ PSU Fan mod

Apallohadas

2[H]4U
I figured I may not be the only person with a 1 kilowatt proXstream PSU. For those unaware, the thing is as loud as a bag of hammers in a clothes dryer.

Since I don't mind invalidating my warranty, I figured I'd share with everyone yay!

psu0.jpg

Here we have my handy 2 year old assistant eying up the Coolermaster Evo and the 80 mm to 120 mm adapter.

psu4.jpg

Yes Pinky, this will help us in our next plan...

psu01.jpg

This 120 mm pushes 110 CFM with all of 38 db or so. Obviously this will be mounted outside the PSU (and case).

psu5.jpg

This 80 mm will be VELCRO'd to the opposite end of the psu. The lovely rear of the unit (heh, I said unit) has plenty of slots for air to be pushed through to the 120.

psu11.jpg

This is the old 80 mm fan that was inside the unit. God bless ya if you can find exact numbers on it, because I couldn't. Nearest specs I could find said it pushed 64 CFM with 53 db of ear banging noise.

As you can see, I've snipped it from the shell so that I'll have a funnel for the air to leave the psu.

psu9.jpg

Inside the noisy beast. Other than the insane fan in the box, my only other complaint would be the sleeving on the cords. It doesn't quite extend into the case.

Once I started snipping and splicing with electrical tape (and heatshrink) for some reason, the 120 just wouldn't run using the line from the psu. Fan would budge at start up, then sit still. Same with another 80mm that I tried. On the other hand, everything ELSE would keep running.

So I decided to run the 120 from a lead inside the case.

psu16.jpg

(Note: Velcro is an amazing thing.)

And the last shot!

last.jpg

Everything is up and running. No temp readings on the PSU, because I didn't take any ahead of time.

I can say for sure that there's more airflow going through it now, with the 120 pulling and the 80 on the other end pushing, rather than a single NOISY 80 trying to do all the work.

My PC is very quiet now as well. There was a slight rattle around the PSU before, but that's gone also.

I remember your post in the stacker thread and saw that in these pictures your "helper" had another strawberry.

PS. Dont you just love velcro.

Back