1GB P2P File Transfer Coming to Facebook Through Pipe

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beginning Monday, Facebook will be beta testing a new App, aptly called Pipe, that will make it possible to easily transfer files up to 1GB in size in P2P fashion. Pipe is a German based company started last summer.

The people behind Pipe have big plans for their tool, but those ambitions are contingent on Facebook being a successful first platform.

Seems like a big scam that will involve the RIAA where they will immediately report any copyright infringement and make big bucks. Thanks, but no thanks.

^^ yeah I don't know about you but all my FB friends LOVE Linux distros...:rolleyes:

Yea, social media is finally catching up to AIM from 1999...

It still bugs me how that stealing wheenie Zuckerberg got lucky with Facebook. Alot of inventors lost out, because they were ahead of their time - the internet was not ready for them. Now we are reinventing technology we had over a decade ago.

It still bugs me how that stealing wheenie Zuckerberg got lucky with Facebook. Alot of inventors lost out, because they were ahead of their time - the internet was not ready for them. Now we are reinventing technology we had over a decade ago.

Blame all the morons who made fb so popular

People love to trash AOL, but AIM of a decade ago was the best messenger ever developed.

I prefered ICQ myself, but then the spam bots were rampant... of course few years later til now... AIM has spam bots going rampant as well.

I prefered ICQ myself, but then the spam bots were rampant... of course few years later til now... AIM has spam bots going rampant as well.

The problem I had with icq was that your username was a random number or something so it was a PITA to add someone. I don't really know why aim went downhill, everyone just kinda stopped using it from one day to the next for no reason. Sad really, it was a great chat program.

People love to trash AOL, but AIM of a decade ago was the best messenger ever developed.

I agree, I especially loved the ability to crash a computer with a malicious message.

Oh yeah, you could do all sorts of fun stuff with the AIM of old.

Why do we need p2p sharing on facebook, when we have sites like megauplo--- oh, wait... nevermind...

wtf... icq was a fucking mess. The most disorganized mess ever created.Granted I haven't used it in 10 years... and thats why. ICQ ptsd

Just another reason for the government/RIAA/MPAA (all one in the same) to shut the net down eventually, at their own will. Either that or sue at will.

The problem I had with icq was that your username was a random number or something so it was a PITA to add someone. I don't really know why aim went downhill, everyone just kinda stopped using it from one day to the next for no reason. Sad really, it was a great chat program.

AIM failed in the respect that you can't flaunt yourself in the most narcissistic way possible to the rest of the world... like Facebook.

Either way. This won't end well...

What's really sad is that I still know my ICQ number... I haven't launched actual ICQ software in over a decade, and haven't logged in to it with ANY client in at least 5 years...

I do have a quibble about the wording of this article "Facebook will be beta testing..." No, Facebook (the company) is not testing anything. A random developer of Facebook apps is testing this. Just like every random iPhone app isn't "Apple is releasing," nor every Windows app is "Microsoft is testing..."

Back