1gb or 512mb for gaming?

fuzzbutt99

Weaksauce
For gaming purposes do you need to have 1gb of memory? I was always under the impression that 1gb is needed for stuff like photoshop and desktop publishing, but for games it wasn't really required. I'm about to upgrade my memory to pc3700 and was wondreing if 1GB would make a difference with COD, Farcry, etc.

YES YES YES...1 Gb makes a difference now, especially in Far Cry. Read up on the Far Cry forums under Techinal Help located here and do a search on RAM or stuttering in the game, a lot of people solved this adding more RAM until they had 1GB. Also, I'm 110% sure in Doom 3 (haven't played it yet, waiting till Christmas :D ) that more would help..a lot...from what I have heard/seen the game is a computer/power demanding machine killer..and if Doom 3 is like that, what do you expect from a game like HL2 ? I would think just more of the same.

My advice...the more RAM the better. :eek:

It's definately worth it, albeit, not necessary. I myself am waiting till x-mas to finally join the 1 Gig Club =)

i have never played far cry with only 512mb of ram so i wouldnt know how much of a difference it makes but i can tell you in games like warcraft3 and ut2k3 it is smoother and load times go down

I've played Farcry and Doom 3 on 512MB of very fast Mushkin DDR400, and it wa slike night and day when I upgraded to 1GB of Corsair XMS DDR400. Levels loaded in a third of the time, gameplay was silky smooth, no more stuttering when turning a corner and getting blasted without being able to react to it.

1GB def. That perception was true a year ago, but the pc industry changes so rapidly its now defacto for gaming. I will be upgrading my upcoming dream machine to 2GB as soon as I can afford it.

I'd say it is required. I had 512 for a year, but when I added another 512, it made a big difference. I'd never ever ever go back to 512 for anything

from what I've seen a gig doesn't help in DooM III.........but farcry, well that game can drain a gig and beg for more....

a gig helps w/doom3,

i had high quality 1024 w/512, and it was choppy, then popped in another 512, and it ran smooth.

It's getting near 1 gig for requirement in newer FPS games. So 1 gig is your best bet.

I play lineage 2.. that game is the most memory intensive thing i've ever seen... it loads texture maps, but doesnt know how to unload them. so to keep from crashing every hour, gotta have a gig. (and last maybe 3 hours between crashes?)

Take it from me i had a gig then one of my sticks went bad.... it makes a really really big difference 1gb=much less lag...

Labrador said:
thats the real [H]ardcore gamer right there, trust me next year, all of you "real" gamers will be in the 2gb clan

Maybe or maybe not, 2 gig will be needed next year. Eventually, of course it will.

Badger_sly said:
Maybe or maybe not, 2 gig will be needed next year. Eventually, of course it will.

Well what is "next year" have coming out that is so brand new and bringing system down to it's knees ?

Nothing that isnt out already

I meaning, Doom3 and HalfLife2"Source" engine games are the two most advanced game engines to date, I dont know of any other game engine due out in 2005 that will top those ? yes in 2006 we will have Unreal3, etc..
Most high end games in 2005 will either use the Doom3 or Source engine ?

^^^ For price to performance ratio in games, I don't think that 2 gigs is going to have any incredible advantage over 1 gig.

However, I still like running games without the swapfile... I'm not sure how much better it really is, never benchmarked anything... at least it makes my balls feel bigger or something...

If anyone plans to play EQ2 make sure you have 1GB or your life will be hell. 1.5 or higher doesnt seem to do much for the price / performance ratio

Labrador said:
Well what is "next year" have coming out that is so brand new and bringing system down to it's knees ?

Nothing that isnt out already

I meaning, Doom3 and HalfLife2"Source" engine games are the two most advanced game engines to date, I dont know of any other game engine due out in 2005 that will top those ? yes in 2006 we will have Unreal3, etc..
Most high end games in 2005 will either use the Doom3 or Source engine ?

There's a lot more to a game, that puts a hell of a load on a system, than just it's engine. And, overall, with all the games that come out in the next year, more will not have the D3 or HL2 engine, than will. It is possible that something could come out that would benefit from 2 gigs............. even a game with the D3 or HL2 engine.

1 gig bare minimum, i would recommend anywhere from 1.5 gigs to 2 gigs, maybe 2.5 gigs of ram.

MeatWad said:
1 gig bare minimum, i would recommend anywhere from 1.5 gigs to 2 gigs, maybe 2.5 gigs of ram.

2.5 gigs?! that would be so expensive, and can you give any game it would make a difference in??

one gig will be fine

Back