1997's Blade Runner classic getting remastered for consoles, Steam

I played it back in the day. I think the impressive thing about it was that it really was the first game of its type that really made me feel like I was part of a cinematic universe. A lot of the scenes and "camera movements" are torn straight from the movie. It had top notch voice acting, as well as meaningful dialog choices, a rarity for its time. And it had some level of replayability due to random seed generation, the order you chose to do things in, and how many clues you discovered all factoring into how final events would play out.

Still, like most/all adventure games after about 1-2.5x playthroughs the (very) nuanced differences weren't really enough to go searching for. Most of them had to do with some secret ending unlocks. I'd welcome a higher rez remake just for nostalgia, but this game despite it's cool cinematic routes was never going to set the world on fire.

Last edited:
I played through this maybe 9 or 10 times from '97-'03. Definitely kept me hooked on point and clicks. Was quite the time to be a gamer.

I used to go to the balcony and chill in this game-seriously. Chill and listening to the rain and music while watching the VTOL's fly around. I actually didn't play it much because at the time it was not the game for me. I have much respect and would recommend the game. So, I was a bit disappointed that I missed the free giveaway on GOG, and a chance to actually play it. With the covid around I am being frugal. The time will come.....just not now. And, only if designers made games like this caliber again.....

I loved Westwood Studios. Some of my favorite memories come from sneaking onto the family computer late at night and playing the Kyrandia series back in the early 90s.

Considering how many times I've watched the movie, I'm ashamed I never took the time to play this..

That's awesome news, just hope they keep it as close the original as possible
I still have this game and an OG playstation just so I can replay it at least once a year

Considering how many times I've watched the movie, I'm ashamed I never took the time to play this..
The film is legendary and tops most every critics best sci-fi film of all time (or is "at worst in the top 5 - we're of course talking about every version that isn't the original theatrical release of course).
The game in comparison is a reasonable fun atmospheric romp but it won't blow your mind.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It's actually pretty good. Every playthru is different. It's well regarded for its time, but also a lesser known title. I'd put it up there with the Longest Journey. Basically the last two good adventure games of the late 90s that still play well.

I'd add The Last Express to that list. It's a criminally underrated adventure game that still holds up.

As far as a remake goes, I'm not entirely too sure how I feel. The vast majority of adventure game remakes lately I've found to be barely better than the original. Gabriel Knight and Leisure Suit Larry were properly made remakes, but anything by Double Fine Productions feels extremely lazy, and the graphics of the Monkey Island games felt out of place compared to the originals, and lost the feeling of what I liked about the originals.

This could be for sure good. I just played a bit lately and quit because of the bad, or outdated, graphics.

Man i went to buy this because I loved the original, but wow the reviews are horrible. May hold off now.

To be fair, Nightdive's port of Blood started out really rough, too. They took all criticism to heart and fixed it fairly quickly.

To be fair, Nightdive's port of Blood started out really rough, too. They took all criticism to heart and fixed it fairly quickly.

Not sure that is entirely as possible here. The biggest problem right now comes down to how they have handled the art/graphics. A combo of AI upscaling and manual work that just looks... well bad. They can probably fix the buggy game code they reserve engineered... but the art... that's probably outside of the budget.

If they can at least make it not buggy and make it mod friendly.... maybe some one will start a mod project to resolve the art/gfx issues :(

Last edited:
Well DUH, you can't use machine learning to upscale pixel art. It looks like they just ran a blur more filter on the backgrounds.

Well DUH, you can't use machine learning to upscale pixel art. It looks like they just ran a blur more filter on the backgrounds.
lol, I know it kinda looks like pixel art... but It's pre-render CGI. They couldn't get the original source art asset's to work with. So they worked on trying to upscale what was used in the original shipped game... which is low in resolution and colour depth.

The best way to handle this.. would probably be re-creating everything in a decent real-time engine that can match it(for speed of asset re-creation). Like say Unity or UE4/5 and creating new pre-render art for the game to replace the low quality ones from the original game. But that requires a whole scale of effort that is probably beyond their budget. But it is something modders might do if the game is friendly enough to mod or an SDK is released.

Back