1995 Toys-R-Us video game scans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap, were cartridges really that expensive o_O or is half of this ad Canadian?

And lol at the kid and his virtual boy :)

i REALLY don't remember games being almost 90 dollars. Wow. Seeing those old first release Playstation games brings a sad ear to my eye, MK3, Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer. :(

Best thread ever!

I remember saving up 100 bucks to buy a game. That was back when you had like 7 games total. I swear, those games (the ones on the SNES flyer with Punchout and stuff) look more appealing to me than any games right now. Super Nintendo had some sort of aethstetic something that made it so damn good. I don't know how to describe it, but anyone who was gaming when it came out knows what I'm talking about.

Well the games were a lot less complex then; you didn't need as much people to make one. This was back when gameplay was the primary focus on game development; nowadays it's graphics.

That was pretty cool.

I remember paying $70US for Killer Instinct. I'm really not looking forward to the forthcoming game price hike...

TheScott2K said:
That was pretty cool.

I remember paying $70US for Killer Instinct. I'm really not looking forward to the forthcoming game price hike...
Maybe I'm out of the loop... but what forthcoming game price hike?

Those are CAD prices, not the small lettering on the bottom.

I do recall N64 games being $80 when it first came out. I was *working* (4 hours per month) at EB at the time, and remember the huge problems trying to get anything in stock for the N64. Despite the high prices, they still sold.

Oh look my gamegear is there. Its still in the back of the closet. Havent thrown it out after all these years. I loved my sonic games.

Oh the SNES version of Mariokart.

slowbiz said:
Maybe I'm out of the loop... but what forthcoming game price hike?

Some small independent developers with a benevolent agenda (EA) have decided that the next generation's console games will cost 10 dollars more.

We'll see if that actually comes to pass, what with us Internet People's ability to get pretty much anything incredibly cheap.

EDIT: Damn - Saturn, Game Gear, Nomad, 32x and Virtual Boy all on the market at the same time. I had forgotten how crazy a year 1995 was.

I see. I don't see it causing any problems for me. Like you said, the internet = cheap things.

I don't even remember the Nomad. It must have bombed pretty bad.

It seems to me that any rise in price for production in games has been absorbed by hardware components as well as the advent of the CD-ROM and DVD. Cartridges were always known for costing more to make and it wouldn't suprise me that that is one of the factors that lead Nintendo away from being a dominating market force (but also their marketing strategy and game development focus were the primary roles; plus Sony knew what it was doing it seems)

NHL 96.... I still got NHL 97 sittign next to my computer :eek: maybe I should get with the times

man, I remember when donky kong country came out on snes

man that game was like 75bucks at target.

all my damn christmas money for that game...and that wasn't even enough for it, my mom had to spot me the extra dough...

The Saturn was badass (as was the Dreamcast, technically... SEGA = ?!?!) I got one within two weeks of movign to this country in '97. Soley to play FIRE PRO WRESTLING: SIX-MAN SCRAMBLE! :D :cool:

Virtual Boy...

L... O... L...

Seriously, what were they thinking?

Cannonbear said:
Seeing those old first release Playstation games brings a sad ear to my eye,

A sad ear to my eye.
That is funny. :p

Even though it was a mistype.

/mourns the Great Sega Genesis and Super NES! The competition of these two GREAT systems gave us some of the greatest and most fun games ever anywhere.

The only console I ever owned was a NES. And it worked when it wanted to.

Oh wait, I did have a Commodore 64 too.

But other than that it was always a computer.

Having bought like 2-3 systems at Toys R us, I can relate to those ads! Ah, the memories!

I still got my Genesis (and an emulator on my comp) AND my Game Gear. :D

Toejam & Earl is still one of the best games ever for drunken parties. :D

CypherNinja said:
I still got my Genesis (and an emulator on my comp) AND my Game Gear. :D

Toejam & Earl is still one of the best games ever for drunken parties. :D
OH SHIT! i forgot about that game. i got it emulated sometime 5 years ago or so, and forgot how fun it was. i would lve to see it brought back... but only in 2d pre-rendered form Black Isle perfected with Baulders Gate.

Those are US prices, I'm sure. Console games used to be ridiculously expensive since production costs were high. I remember paying $80 for Secret of Mana, probably the best $80 I've ever spent.

The good/terrible ole days. I also remember paying near $100 for one game but many were far better than whats out now.

Craftish said:
Those are US prices, I'm sure. Console games used to be ridiculously expensive since production costs were high. I remember paying $80 for Secret of Mana, probably the best $80 I've ever spent.

It's quite clear from the ads that it's Canada.

But yea, they used to cost a ton.

TheScott2K said:
Some small independent developers with a benevolent agenda (EA) have decided that the next generation's console games will cost 10 dollars more.

The price hike, at least for the Xbox360's games, has already been debunked. MSRPs will remain $49.99.

Toe Jam and Earl is great. Still 30 bucks for a used copy in some circles. How many actually have these systems still and still hooked up?

I remember my Nomad! That thing was awesome! Play Genesis games on the go. Pure genious. (Too bad I had 8 go dead on me, no joke. :()

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was psyched to have a SNES and a Genesis. Those were the days. I think I payed around $70 for Top Gear on the SNES when I first got it. Now you can play all those games on your PC, Xbox, PSP, you name it, for free 10 years later. I wish I could have waited 10 years and saved my $70. :D

Bad_Boy said:
has to be, no way ps1 was over 400. didnt it come out at 299?
Nope, they are US. I remember when the PS1 came out. I wanted to buy one. I was 18 when it came out. It was $400 but a few months after it was released it went down to $299.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back