$199 WD Elements 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive Black WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN

I went to a BBuy recently and was shocked at the normal price for these drives--$449 for the 14TB?!?!? That's insane! I got 16GB exos enterprise drives for less than that. What is going on? Chia is dead so what's the deal?

I went to a BBuy recently and was shocked at the normal price for these drives--$449 for the 14TB?!?!? That's insane! I got 16GB exos enterprise drives for less than that. What is going on? Chia is dead so what's the deal?
There's a surplus and as you mentioned chia is dead. The next couple of months are going to be good for people looking for hard drives.

Can't speak for Best buy's pricing but they're probably just behind the curve.

Tempting.... but I don't think my Perc H700 supports drives that big. Currently using 4x6tb. On top of that, raid 5 on 12tb drives sounds a little sketchy to me anyway

There's a surplus and as you mentioned chia is dead. The next couple of months are going to be good for people looking for hard drives.

Can't speak for Best buy's pricing but they're probably just behind the curve.
There is supply in the used market, but it seems for new places like BB still have shockingly high prices. For BB's stock prices, you can get a 16TB enterprise drive new from CDW or Provantage for $100 less:
https://www.cdw.com/product/toshiba...e-hard-drive-16-tb-sata-6gb-s/6227568?pfm=srh
https://www.provantage.com/~7SEG91U4.htm

What's interesting is that for 12TB drives, BB's sale price is pretty solid as these drives are still commanding high prices for some reason.

Tempting.... but I don't think my Perc H700 supports drives that big. Currently using 4x6tb. On top of that, raid 5 on 12tb drives sounds a little sketchy to me anyway
It should support them fine--just be sure to have updated to the latest firmware before installing. I wouldn't trust raid5 at all. I stopped that in 1995. The only raid level I use today is 0+1 and that's only if I need the speed. Otherwise, I just stick with jbod so I can manage the data manually. Bit rot is too real at today's densities.

Too bad the code doesn't apply to the higher capacity drives. $50 off would bring the 14TB down to the same price I paid last July ($220 + shipping). I would buy another for redundancy now if I could get that.

Screenshot_20211012-172929.png

This drive has been great as a cheap NAS on my RPi 4 running Samba. After formatting it to XFS, I can saturate a gigabit connection (~120 MB/s) reading and writing to it. Running NTFS would only get me 20-30 MB/s since it's not a native Linux file system.

Too bad the code doesn't apply to the higher capacity drives. $50 off would bring the 14TB down to the same price I paid last July ($220 + shipping). I would buy another for redundancy now if I could get that.

View attachment 402465

This drive has been great as a cheap NAS on my RPi 4 running Samba. After formatting it to XFS, I can saturate a gigabit connection (~120 MB/s) reading and writing to it. Running NTFS would only get me 20-30 MB/s since it's not a native Linux file system.
They had the 14tb on sale a couple weeks ago, it was roughly $20 more than you paid, $254 shipped.

Edit:
The deal included free shipping too so it would have been almost the same price as your last one, $239.

Last edited:
Because inertia. Prices don't suddenly change overnight.

This is still $10 more than the 14TB WD drive I got about a year ago from BBuy, deal I found here as well. I guess these days everything is more money, just because they can.

This is still $10 more than the 14TB WD drive I got about a year ago from BBuy, deal I found here as well. I guess these days everything is more money, just because they can.
The lowest price I saw 12tb was $180 or $190. Given the state of supply chains $200 is not too bad, considering these were $300-$400 for most of the year.

I will probably pick up another 14tb next month. Hoping we see a bit more drop in price.

Edit:
I just checked, last year it was $175 for 12tb and $190 for 14tb. Not sure we'll see them that low this year. I'm hoping for $200 14tb, but doubtful they'll go lower than $220.

Last edited:
Back