197.13 drivers artifacting

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone noticed there cards artifacting or windows popping up with a message the nvidia kernel has stopped responding and has successfully recovered?

Yep. Happens to me right after running the nVidia Design Garage demo.

Played through all of Metro 2033 with 197.13 betas and currently 22 hours into Just cause 2 with 197.13 WHQL, No problems to report.

Every single time I log into windows everything, would freeze and then comes up with a message nvidia kernal has stopped responding and successfully recovered, and I've noticed artifacting only in when Windows 7 has the Aero affect one, if I change it to basic, everything is fine. I think I might revert back to the 196.75 drivers since I had no problem with them, only reason I upgraded to 197.13 was Metro2033 telling me theres a update every single time I start the game.

uhhh, I may be wrong, but isn't 196.75 drivers the one that nvidia released that lowered your fan speed and killed your graphics card?

Yep. Rolled back to 196.75 and no probs since.
as Matthew Kane said those are the drivers that were pulled for fan issues so you need to get off of those. you can use 196.21 but they dont allow overclocking unless using Evga precision 1.9.1. I would suggest 196.34 which are just the 196.21 drivers with the overclocking issues fixed.

the 197 is known to have those issue and completely freeze in game like SC2 ...

kinda odd, not quite sure what happen there... hopefully they fix it in next driver...

the 197 is known to have those issue and completely freeze in game like SC2 ...

kinda odd, not quite sure what happen there... hopefully they fix it in next driver...

the way nvidia's drivers are going i dont expect much to be fixed.. 196.21.. broken shaders overclock.. 196.75 broken fan control.. 197.13 tons of issues.. what ever the new drivers are for the GTX 4xx cards, worthless pos... yeah seeing the pattern here?

uhhh, I may be wrong, but isn't 196.75 drivers the one that nvidia released that lowered your fan speed and killed your graphics card?

Works fine for my 8800 GTS...which also runs a bit warm anyway with the stock cooler.

I have Zalman VF1000's on my GTS 250's and they stay over 12 degrees cooler than my 8800 on average.

Anyone noticed there cards artifacting or windows popping up with a message the nvidia kernel has stopped responding and has successfully recovered?

Did a driver update yesterday without knowing that the newest version is bugged. I don't have any problems with artifact, but i did have the drivers crash on me today. Time for an uninstall.

frequent artifacts and crashing with 197.13, GTX 285 FTW edition. fan works though! figured this was a good time to upgrade to a 5870. one 285 GTX for sale shortly.

Nothing BUT crashes for me with the 19x series in general. 185 was stable as all hell but I can't get any reliability with these newer drivers. It seems that nvidia is taking a page from ati and each successive version of drivers they release is more bugged than the last. I would try a 5870 but the lack of 3d support kills it for me. I am stuck to nvidia until ati gets off their ass and offers 3d support with their cards.

Nothing BUT crashes for me with the 19x series in general. 185 was stable as all hell but I can't get any reliability with these newer drivers. It seems that nvidia is taking a page from ati and each successive version of drivers they release is more bugged than the last. I would try a 5870 but the lack of 3d support kills it for me. I am stuck to nvidia until ati gets off their ass and offers 3d support with their cards.

What's wrong with using the iZ3d or DDD driver for 3d?

out of all the 19x.xx series drivers the 196.21/34beta were the most stable drivers..

I assume people are having the same issues with 197.25 beta's? I haven't had any issues with them yet, although I've been playing older games. Prototype and Spiderman Web of Shadows currently.

What's wrong with using the iZ3d or DDD driver for 3d?

honestly no idea what that is or if it requires some type of hardware addon to work. does the driver just convert 3d video to anaglyph without the need for some type of hardware box like the nvidia solution? cant find any reference to ddd out there. Either way eventually I want to end up with 3x22" 3d monitors running at 3x1680x1050 in 3d virtual surround with the nvidia 3d vision shutter glasses. anaglyph is sucky and you lose all of the natural color. id be all over a new ati card if they had a similar 3d addon for their cards.

BFBC2 started booting out to desktop this last weekend with 197.13's. All 197 revisions are giving me some kind of Texture Flashing in BFBC2. Have the 197.41's installed with modded .inf file. Will see tomorrow if these are like the rest so far. This is on a GTX260 216.

as Matthew Kane said those are the drivers that were pulled for fan issues so you need to get off of those. you can use 196.21 but they dont allow overclocking unless using Evga precision 1.9.1. I would suggest 196.34 which are just the 196.21 drivers with the overclocking issues fixed.

Well, I haven't had any problems but since you guys seem so concerned about it, I've reverted to 196.34 just to be safe. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. :)

I am running stock speeds and voltages now on my system and haven't had any crashes in the video driver since then with these drivers. I find it very odd that at 4ghz intel burn test at maximum for hours on end is stable, 185.xx drivers all day are stable but anything 19x.xx and above gives me problems with this overclock. Is there something built in to these drivers that detects an overclock and causes problems on purpose? That's the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately I need the power of 4ghz for FSX so I have to run at that speed. Looks like I will be running old ass drivers until nvidia takes out the code from their new drivers which won't play well with an obviously stable overclock.

Somethings really wrong with nvidia's new line of 197 drivers. Just updated my 196.21 drivers to the latest 197.45 thinking that nvidia might've fixed up the issue with 197.13, and yet again, log in desktop, and instantly, nvidia kernel has stopped working and recovered successfully, reinstalling 196.21, wtf is wrong with you nvidia?

Somethings really wrong with nvidia's new line of 197 drivers. Just updated my 196.21 drivers to the latest 197.45 thinking that nvidia might've fixed up the issue with 197.13, and yet again, log in desktop, and instantly, nvidia kernel has stopped working and recovered successfully, reinstalling 196.21, wtf is wrong with you nvidia?

i havent had a problem with the 197.13 drivers except the fact that my card wont overclock for shit with them.. i sense you are having a different problem.. eventually ill update the 197.45 just to see if they fix the overclocking problem otherwise ill go back to 196.21.. im just to lazy to deal with uninstalling shit to go back to 196.21 right now..

i havent had a problem with the 197.13 drivers except the fact that my card wont overclock for shit with them.. i sense you are having a different problem.. eventually ill update the 197.45 just to see if they fix the overclocking problem otherwise ill go back to 196.21.. im just to lazy to deal with uninstalling shit to go back to 196.21 right now..

Funny thing is, 196.21 drivers overclock like beauty, while 197.13 and 197.45 constantly artifacted, gave error msg's and didn't overclock at all.

I'm running the 197.45 drivers since yesterday, only played COD4 so far but am having no problems so far in Win7 X64. I uninstalled in Win7, rebooted to safe mode, used CCleaner to clean out the registry and installed 197.45 in Safe Mode. Like I say no problems so far. Card is Water cooled and am using Precision 1.91 to OC. Card is a GTX280, need to update my sig.

Larry

Back