1964 Antique Modem Live Demo

I still have nightmares about playing Starcraft and Diablo2 on 56k, I don't even want to imagine anything slower.

All I remember was saying DAMN LAG and dropping the game while getting killed and losing exp in D2... Those were the days...

All I remember was saying DAMN LAG and dropping the game while getting killed and losing exp in D2... Those were the days...

Yup! About to kill someone, then you notice they're standing still. "Oh shi"-- Bamn, slapped in the face with the Black Wall and then a D/C

I find things like this to be really interesting. The older tech gave you more of a window into HOW it was working - if for no other reason than it was simpler technology. Most people could care less how something works, as long as it does.

Cool.

yea, had compu-sleeze and GEnie back in the day too.. remember playing Air Warrior on GEnie for all hours of the night with 2400 baud at that time (people complain about lag NOW?? try playing a 3d air combat sim at 2400 and see what 'lag' is).. and paid a premium for the GEnie number with 2400 access.

My first modem was a 2400 baud thing.

Mine too - Packard Bell 486DX2...this video reminded me how long you'd have to wait on BBS's. Playing LORD took forever...The strange thing about that computer is that the fax was 14.4, while the modem was 2400.

Wow...made me think way back to my first 300 baud modem on a first run C=64 :eek: Man those were the days when you thought you could do anything. I eventually upgraded to a 1200 baud modem and starting phreaking to make long distance calls.

Wish I could remember all the DTMF frequencies the specific numbers (and combos) made - the only one that comes to mind is 2600 Hz which you had to tone in order to set up a call.

Sure brings back the memories. :cool:

Setting hax to the maxxxxx!?!?!!

snapshot20090528212226.png

snapshot20090528211807.png

Mine too - Packard Bell 486DX2...this video reminded me how long you'd have to wait on BBS's. Playing LORD took forever...The strange thing about that computer is that the fax was 14.4, while the modem was 2400.

Oh wow, LORD Legend of the Red Dragon. I remember those days, and in fact the BBS I founded is even still up with LORD installed. Unless one of the Sysops removed it. :D

WOW. This is the first time I see an actual acoustic modem in action

300 baud baby!! That was my first modem in '86.. i connected it to my commodore 128 and connected to all the local BBS's.. I did download lots of wares, games, demos, apps, etc.. but um, to get 1 game usually took a few days of being constantly connected.. yea those were fun days but i dont miss those connection speeds..

Back