1920x1200 through DVI/HDMI Vista x64

Evil

Gawd
Wondering how many other people suffer from the issue that I do. OS reports 1920x1200 60hz while clicking through my monitor menus it shows 1600x1200. Tried every DVI/HDMI cable imaginable over the last two years (since Vista x64 came out). None would fix the issue. Tried the nv_disp.ini adjustment using the nul EDID to 0 adjustment using my monitors EDID hex values which did not work either.

Simply using a VGA cable instantly fixes the issue. The stupid thing is though connecting my PS3 it will display 1920x1080 with ease through the HDMI as will my Blu-Ray player, my Cable box which tells me there is obviously a DRM issue in Vista x64 interfering with the 1920x1200 signal. Also before the OS boots my monitor properly tells me the monitor is at 1920x1200 and as soon as Vista x64 boots up, bam the monitor goes back to 1600x1200 while Vista x64 improperly thinks the LCD is still set to 1920x1200.

My 24" monitors have done this since Vista has come out (Vista x64 Ultimate) and there are numerous posts on the Nvidia forums about this issue.

ATI users using the current Catalyst do not suffer from this issue and Nvidia mentioned to various LCD manufacturers this issue would be fixed back in April 2007. It still is not fixed in January 2009.

Current 24" Monitor is a Acer P241W, beautiful colour, 2ms response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio but suffers from the Nvidia driver seeing a improper EDID value. EDID revision on this monitor is 1.3. I can set the display to 1920x1080P using DVI/HDMI in Vista but not 1920x1200 have even set custom value up of 1920x1200 and Vista tells me it is set to that but the monitor tells me otherwise and my picture is shoved to the right hiding the taskbar icons in the right hand corner.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions beyond mentioning to change the scaling settings (does not work) or creating a custom resolution (already have) please share them with me as this issue has been with me for a long time now.

My older display was a KDS monitor (yes I know blech).

Until I figure this out I will just have to use a VGA cable as that is the only work around I have at this time and what I have been doing for 2 years now.

p.s. I may have posted this in the wrong forum and if I did please feel free to move it. I saw displays and in my sleepy state considered it the proper forum for this question/post.

I dont want to sound like a nay sayer but I have been running Vista x64 Ultimate with a 8800GTS and now a GTX 280 on my Samsung 244T 24" (1920x1200 60hz) with 0 problems for little over a year. So my only conclusions would be switch to ATI or buy a new monitor (I know neither of which are favorable).

However if it is indeed a Nvidia issue have you posted on the nvidia forums about it? Also try www.laptopvideo2go.com as the guys over there have lots of beta drivers and modified inf's that I have found to fix a lot of problems I have had with Nvidia drivers in the past.

What video card do you have? What Nvidia driver are you running btw? And are there any drivers for your monitor that you have tried installing?

Does the monitor allow you to shut off EDID through the on screen display/OSD menus? This may help, as sometimes monitor manufacturers implement EDID incorrectly. If not try and read the EDID info using the following. Just make sure you don't try and write it, as I don't know if the P241W has a write protected EDID.

SoftMCCS: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

or EDIDReader: http://www.filetransit.com/download.php?id=61608

As you've already tried creating a hard set resolution/custom rez, you may want to delve into the EDID information provided by the screen and see if there is any issue with it to the video card, or if the video card has issues reading it.

That last post reminded me of something. I did have problems with my 244T and early 1XX.XX drivers with scaleing issues (that only affects certain LCD models and was related to EDID information). The only fix I ever found (until it was fixed in I think the 15X.XX drivers) was boot the computer with the monitor off (the physicall off switch on the back) and then turn the monitor on once windows is loaded. Then it would properly detect the EDID and scale properly. Though it was only a upscaling issue as it always ran 1920x1200 perfectly.

Good Luck.

The EDID on the P241W is write protected and I would have switched monitors long ago but I've never in my life seen a monitor with colours this vibrant before, blacks are truly black, whites are truly white, colours are very vibrant etc or I would have long ago. My secondary monitor is a Samsung which I also enjoy as well and I use it to view movies on while I surf or game. Samsung does make really nice monitors as well.

I can't turn off the EDID on the Acer I should just stop worrying about it though and just use the VGA, even with the VGA the monitor still looks brilliant picture wise.

The EDID on the P241W is write protected and I would have switched monitors long ago but I've never in my life seen a monitor with colours this vibrant before, blacks are truly black, whites are truly white, colours are very vibrant etc or I would have long ago. My secondary monitor is a Samsung which I also enjoy as well and I use it to view movies on while I surf or game. Samsung does make really nice monitors as well.

I can't turn off the EDID on the Acer I should just stop worrying about it though and just use the VGA, even with the VGA the monitor still looks brilliant picture wise.

honestly if the screen handles VGA well the only downside I have found to VGA is mutliple resolution scaleing. But if you are happy with how your monitor handles it in VGA I dont see any reason to not use VGA.

Back