1920x1200 monitor recomendations.

Bun-Bun

Gawd
So I finally settled with the SA650SSK as my main monitor and the only gripe I had with it (green-yellow dominance) was fixed by selecting the use EDID under color temperature control in ATI drivers.

But its 1920x1080. Which is fine for games but for CAD work 1920x1200 is so much nicer.

Currently using a 244T as my secondary display but the input lag is bothersome especially when used beside a low input lag display and its aging.

The only monitor I can readily find to replace it is the S24A850DW but mixed reviews on its contrast ratio and light bleed issues.

Should I buy it or hold out for another 1920x1200 monitor to come out? Or will there ever be another one? Black levels, black light bleed, and coating are all very important to me. I can't stand sparkly screens from AG coating. But I hate glossy screens even more. The SA650SSK is perfect as far as that is concerned.

There are extremely limited options at the 1920x1200 size (that I am aware of).

There is the Samsung PLS, which fits some of your requirements, and is semiglossy, but is noted for bleed issues, as you stated. And it'll have so-so blacks, due to being PLS.
Dell 2412/10 -- heavy AG coating.
Other brands in the same size (ASUS, HP, NEC etc) - heavy AG coating.

Perhaps the new Eizo EV2436W may be a lighter coating, but it sounds like it'll be the same as the 2412. Another user in this forum just bought one, so we'll see how it is after he gets it and posts his opinions. There are some older models, such as the NEC 2490, with a med coating, but it'll have input lag. And the 24" ACD, but it'll be glossy.

And all IPS screens will have so-so blacks. The only VAs in that size (that I know of) are S-PVA, like your current 244T. And it won't have A-MVA quality blacks either. So... I'm not sure if what you want even exists. Eizo may be your best bet to find another one at that size, with decent blacks, but it may just be another S-PVA model, and it'll be very expensive. I may be missing a model there, so maybe someone else will post something.

Last edited:
yeah I know... There doesn't seem to be much. I am not looking at this monitor in the same respect as I was the 650 as I will still use the 650 for gaming/movies and such but more as a replacement to my 244T (so the blacks arnt as important). Don't want to downgrade on the 244T in the process.

So get the 850D and hope for little back bleed... or should I just get another S24A650S so they match and suck it up and get used to 16:9... S24A650S is on sale right now for $220 which is a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Up to you there. If you are good with 16:9, just get the same monitor as a secondary. I expect you've had the samsung long enough to know whether you are fine with it or not.

If you really want 16:10, try the PLS, but get it from a place with a good return policy.

One other option is to go the used market, assuming your 244t is on its last legs and you'd be fine with a similar 24" S-PVA in used, but not dying, condition. NEC 2470s can still be bought as manufacturer refurbs (at least once in a while on eBay). Eizo also still makes new 24" S=PVAs at that size, 16:10.

There is also a chance the Dell 2413 will be a lighter coated monitor, but I don't think it's scheduled until the Spring? Not entirely sure when it's planned for... also not sure if it'll be wide gamut, or a direct replacement for the 2412.

Can't argue with the price difference that's for sure.

Look more at reviews of the 850 the on angle black levels loop on par with S-PVA but it does have a lot of off angle glow. So as long as I can get one without the backlight bleed issues. I would order from memory express and have had no issues with returning stuff to them so far.

Comes down to ditching 16:10 or not. If industry is going keep going 16:9 and never look back maybe it is in my best interests to try and suck it up now.

Eh, just because the industry leans one way, it doesn't mean you have to. I wouldn't suggest basing your choice just on that. There will be 16:10 monitors for some time yet -- not necessarily a ton of models, but they won't all vanish tomorrow. Heck, they even still make some 4:3s (not many, but they exist).

The NEC 2470WNX uses the same S-PVA panel as the 244t (Samsung LTM240M2) and is a very good alternative. I own both. The NEC 2470 is less contrasty than the 244t, and actually resembles the NEC 2490 in terms of image quality. The last one I bought was an NEC mfgr refurb at $236. If you can find that deal now, grab it.

The HP LP2465 (available on Ebay for around $180) also uses the same panel, but something about the backlighting makes it less contrasty than the 2470 or 244t. It nonetheless makes a great workhorse if you can find one with reasonable hours. I am writing this on an LP2465.

If he likes the 244t, then the NEC could be an option. But unless his Samsung is dying, it's not really an upgrade so much. And there is also that cleartype/S-PVA thing... not sure if that bothers the OP or not -- it is subtle at first, but it is noticeable, especially if you stare at a monitor 8 hrs/day for text related work. But it bothers some people more than others.

I have seen refurb 2470s go for <$150 on eBay from time to time (considered one for myself then), but I went the 2490 route instead. There are like half a dozen on eBay now that looks that they can be had for <$230 w/best offer.

If it was me, I'd wait for the Prad review on the new Eizo 24" IPS (think review is due to be released this week) and user reviews. It's possible it has an acceptable coating, although I wouldn't count on it. I'd also think Samsung would update it's 24" PLS model at some point, seeing as it has such bleeding issues... or perhaps another manufacturer will use the same panel eventually.

I don't know why the industry is going for 16:9 tbh. Vertical estate is more important IMO, so reducing is not good in the pro market. But maybe for games, the horizontal estate is more important.

The industry went 16:9 because people are ignorant and it saves the industry money.

A 24" 16:9 monitor costs LCD makers less than a 24" 16:10 (and much less than 4:3). Less panel space = more money saved in manufacturing. And they can still stick a 24" size on the screen and people won't know any difference.

That, and the fact TVs are all labeled 'High Definition', or 1080p, and people figure the ratio doesn't matter, so long as it's 'HD'. An Ex... some time ago my brother-in-law saw my CRT, which could do some insane res, like 1600p, and he mentioned how I should get something new so it could do HD. He really had no concept of what that term meant, besides it's the 'new thing'... and it means a wider screen. So long as the box says a certain size, most people don't care about ratios... I'll throw in they don't care about contrast either, or monitor manufacturers would have been sued years ago for their dynamic contrast claims.

If you're just gonna suck it up now with 16:9 you will be here again in a few years wondering if you should just suck it up with 21:9

For most productive serious stuff, widescreen is a curse. The first thing I did with SolidWorks was moving all the buttons to the left of the screen. After that you're left with an almost square area for your actual drawing. Unfortunately I'm notebook-bound for most of the time.

@Bun-Bun:

The review of the EV2436W is now up. You can read the translation to english from german HERE.

Black levels, black light bleed, and coating are all very important to me
Black level is very good for an IPS panel (you can reach up to 0.01cd/m2 with zero brightness, but at the cost of contrast ratio), backlight bleed is almost zero according to the review. The review also claims that with zero brightness is almost impossible to distinguish if the monitor is turned on or off (but keep in mind the white level is digitally changed to achieve this black point, and you'll not be able to see anything on the screen). The coating is the only concern for me. I'm the guy Namelessme was refering to.

Currently using a 244T as my secondary display but the input lag is bothersome especially when used beside a low input lag display and its aging.
Input lag on the EV2436W is very low (only 9.3ms).

I bought this model because I'm currently using a NEC P241W and I can't stand its AG coating (very aggressive). Previously, I've had the 'legendary' NEC 2490 but unfortunately now is broken (and with no possible repair). Also I have had the HP ZR2440w and the ASUS PA248Q, both LED-backlit monitors (like the EV2436W), with the same panel as the EV2436W (save for the revision, perhaps). The AG coating on these was very bearable, but color rendition did not convince me. So I've bought the EV2436W from a german seller of Amazon Marketplace. The monitor arrives on monday. I will post my first impressions, specially regarding the coating, and of course, questions will be welcome.

Last edited:
(but keep in mind the white level is digitally changed to achieve this black point, and you'll not be able to see anything in the screen)

digitally changing the white level has no effect on the black level. the only thing that affects black level is backlight intensity, which also affects white level. not sure why 0 brightness making it impossible to distinguish if the monitor is on or off is a big deal, since the real world usefulness of this is also 0 because you can't see anything on the screen.

Previously, I've had the 'legendary' NEC 2490 but unfortunately now is broken (and with no possible repair

what happened to your 2490?

Based on user reviews so far, unfortunately the EV2436W seems to have a rather heavy coating still.

I guess the Samsung PLS may be the best option at this size and ratio, at 24", 16:10. But there is a big 'if'... if you get one without terrible bleed. There are smaller 23"/24" 16:9s that have a better coating, but then you sacrifice vertical.

I'm currently using a 2490 myself, so have an interest in alternatives if this ever breaks down. I am defintely spoiled now as to angles ... I don't expect any other LCD to come close.

@_HU_ If you still have your broken 2490, one option is to buy a used one on eBay, and swap the panels. That is assuming yours is in decent condition otherwise and it's simply a bad panel. 2490s with broken bezels were going on eBay for $100-$125 for quite some time, I haven't checked in a while, but maybe some are left.

Last edited:
If you're just gonna suck it up now with 16:9 you will be here again in a few years wondering if you should just suck it up with 21:9

Widescreen is for games and movies. Make a stand now, OP, or kick yourself in five years when you can't even find 16:9 anymore, let alone 16:10.

LCD panel aberration :( The panel is no longer manufactured (probably due to the A-TW polarizer), so repair is not possible.

24" imacs used essentially the same panels, but without the a-tw polarizer, so if you relax that requirement, it shouldn't be too much trouble to find a spare. the imac panels came in both glossy and matte flavors.

24" imacs used essentially the same panels, but without the a-tw polarizer, so if you relax that requirement, it shouldn't be too much trouble to find a spare. the imac panels came in both glossy and matte flavors.
I appreciate your interest but I don't have the necessary skills to do that.

I'd think it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to use a panel from a working 2490, than pay for an iMac panel. The 24" ACD used a similar panel too, but even in used condition they tend to go for $400+.

If it was me, I'd look for a cheap 2490 off of eBay for about $100ish... again, those broken bezel ones may be ideal for you. If no longer listed, just keep an eye out for them -- there used to be a ton of them. Once you get the touchscreen off, open it up and swap the panels. Biggest pain probably is just getting the bezel & touchscreen off, but it's doable (yet probably messy).

I have a HP LP2480ZX and pulled my Dell 30" off the desk due to quality of this display even after calibration the Dell doesn't hold a candle

Have you given some thought to the Asus ProArt screens I have few PA246Q's and they've been wonderful. Never did any gaming on them though, just photoshop.

The Asus ProArt series use the same grainy matte coating Bun-Bun does not want.

What about the Samsung S24A450UW?

Just noticed it yesterday.

Looks like a tn panel based on viewing angles.

I'm actually going through the same process for a new monitor. I have an nec 2470wnx and I'm looking for another 1920x1200 24" monitor. Thought about a 1440p panel, but it is out of my price range (don't want the Korean, overlord, or auria monitor).

Just kind of stuck on a decision. Good luck with yours.

Back