1900xt 512 MB to ???

adamadekat

Gawd
I currently have an ATI 1900xt 512MB, and was wondering what a good upgrade would be for me. I don't really like this card because it gets way too hot, to the point where certain games start artifacting and sometimes the video out to my monitor even stops working.

I want a card that is at most $150 (not including shipping), and won't get too hot. I am also upgrading to a 28" monitor on Friday - so I will be playing with a 1920x1200 resolution from now on. I want to be able to play GTAIV when it comes out with at least medium - high settings. Suggestions?

4850 is better than the 512MB 8800GT by 15-20%.

I'd get a 4850. Get a Powercolor or Visiontek since they have lifetime warranties.

Well if u can find a 4850 for $150 then that would be your best bet. If not get the 8800gt.

@ 1920 by 1200 you may want to look at increasing your budget some. I am using a 8800GTX at 2.3mp and it just fast enough for most games. the 8800GT would suck. the 4850 is the min I would recommend to you. a 4870 would be better. for a comparison my 8800GTX OCed is not as fast as a 4850 in many places. (cost a lot more too) the extra cost would ensure playability for some time to come.

also keep in mind that while you do have a crossfire board its the type that runs 16x by 4x and there is a pretty good hit when running crossfire is some games so consider a good single card solution.

@ 1920 by 1200 you may want to look at increasing your budget some. I am using a 8800GTX at 2.3mp and it just fast enough for most games. the 8800GT would suck. the 4850 is the min I would recommend to you. a 4870 would be better. for a comparison my 8800GTX OCed is not as fast as a 4850 in many places. (cost a lot more too) the extra cost would ensure playability for some time to come.

also keep in mind that while you do have a crossfire board its the type that runs 16x by 4x and there is a pretty good hit when running crossfire is some games so consider a good single card solution.

What games are you playing? my 9600gt runs great at that res for every game I play aside from Crysis.

What games are you playing? my 9600gt runs great at that res for every game I play aside from Crysis.

bioshock had a lot of problems tearing, v-sync helped but lowered my FPS using AA at all settings max was a pushing it. COD4 (runs great), Call of Juarez I have to turn down a lot of options to get acceptable FPS on the benchmark tool. in fact the min frame rate usually hits 13 with an avg of 37, not really playable. (by my standards) DMC4 gives a b rating or c depending on the AA (turned up all the way)

my standard might be a little high but I think the 8800GTX with my over clock is the min requirements I would run on a 2.3mp monitor. I am serously thinking of getting a pair of 4850 or a 4870 on Friday.

I currently have an ATI 1900xt 512MB, and was wondering what a good upgrade would be for me. I don't really like this card because it gets way too hot, to the point where certain games start artifacting and sometimes the video out to my monitor even stops working.

I want a card that is at most $150 (not including shipping), and won't get too hot. I am also upgrading to a 28" monitor on Friday - so I will be playing with a 1920x1200 resolution from now on. I want to be able to play GTAIV when it comes out with at least medium - high settings. Suggestions?

what temp. do you consider too hot?

Seeing as how you have the exact monitor that I am going to purchase, I really value your input. However, I really don't want to spend more than $150. I'm guessing I should just wait to buy a new card when GTAIV comes out. At that point a card like the 4870 should be around that price range.

Seeing as how you have the exact monitor that I am going to purchase, I really value your input. However, I really don't want to spend more than $150. I'm guessing I should just wait to buy a new card when GTAIV comes out. At that point a card like the 4870 should be around that price range.

the monitor is pretty, love it. it has two issues that you might want to know, first there are no XP drivers and not likely to be anytime soon. two there is an issue with sleep mode that does have a work around, (you just need to plug a second HDMI device in it temperarily and change a setting.

a 4850 would probably be a good card for you. I can tell you that you will be unhappy with your current card if you game at the native resolution. If there is a place to get the 4870 by friday for 215 I will be all over that but I may end up getting a couple of 4850 myself.

I would get the 4850. I have read a lot about how great this card is with respect to it's price. I just bought one on Newegg. Comes with Grid game for $155 buckaroo. Be sure to check the combo else they won't ship you the game ;) I didn't know that Powercolor and Visiontek comes with lifetime waranties. I should have known this before I bought an HIS brand. I'm sure the HIS brand is just fine.

the monitor is pretty, love it. it has two issues that you might want to know, first there are no XP drivers and not likely to be anytime soon. two there is an issue with sleep mode that does have a work around, (you just need to plug a second HDMI device in it temperarily and change a setting.

a 4850 would probably be a good card for you. I can tell you that you will be unhappy with your current card if you game at the native resolution. If there is a place to get the 4870 by friday for 215 I will be all over that but I may end up getting a couple of 4850 myself.

Does this mean I can't use the monitor with Windows XP?

You can still use the monitor with Xp, it just means that there is no specific driver or color profiles associated with it in Xp, and you may need to uncheck the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" box in monitor properties to get the full range of resolutions.

it works just not with all the bells and whistles. I ran it for a couple of weeks before I upgraded to vista 64. no one told me before I bought it that didn't have XP drivers. it will just read generic plug and play monitor.

As opposed to? Will the actual picture quality be less?

no, not that I noticed. just had to make sure the setting and all. you will not be able to run the tuning software so you would have to do it manually.

Seeing as how GTAIV hasn't even been released yet, I'm just going to wait. Plus, I want to spend my money on a blu-ray drive to watch it on my new bad-boy. Thanks for all of the input, guys.

where are you guys getting the idea that powercolor has a lifetime warranty?

i recently purchased a powercolor hd4850 and noticed no such warranty written anywhere.

Seeing as how GTAIV hasn't even been released yet, I'm just going to wait. Plus, I want to spend my money on a blu-ray drive to watch it on my new bad-boy. Thanks for all of the input, guys.

good deal, that is my next purchase after I upgrade my video card, just not quite doing it for me now. you will want to upgrade soon though, hopefully there will be better answers available then

Back