19 Year Olds as Sedentary as 60 Year Olds

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I sat on my porch all day with my shotgun and not a single young punk ventured into my yard. At first I thought it was just the shotgun but then I learned that you young bucks don't put down the XBONE controller long enough to see the sunlight.

For their study, the researchers used data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from the 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 survey cycles. The 12,529 participants wore tracking devices for seven straight days, removing them for only bathing and at bedtime. The devices measured how much time participants were sedentary or engaged in light or moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. The researchers broke down findings into five age groups: children (ages six to 11); adolescents (ages 12 to 19); young adults (ages 20 to 29); adults at midlife (ages 31 to 59); and older adults (age 60 through age 84). Forty-nine percent were male, the rest female.

So, tell the adolescent to wear the tracker watch on the other arm. Boom, problem solved. Gotta wear it on your dominant arm.

So I was reading a few jobs posted to LinkedIn today. One of the jobs had a "physical requirements" section: 1. Must be able to sit at a desk at least 50% of the time. 2. Must be able to get to other parts of the building. 3. Must be able to work with a computer for a majority of the day.
I think I have found my perfect job! I will actually get promoted in the first year because I can sit at a desk AND use a computer 110% of the time. (Ok, my story is not exactly related except to say I'm lazy and won't every be in Kyle's lawn.) . I'm also somewhere between the age of 19 and 60.

Lol: "Forty-nine percent were male, the rest female."

• Glad they cleared up what the rest were
  • This is because the data came from studies from 2003 to 2006. Using current data, they'd probably have a few more categories to be "more inclusive."
Oops, I think I just missed the point of the article...

I have been trying to get out, but between my 4 day hospital stay last week and whatever I caught in the hospital I can't walk a straight line.

The report appears to be using data from 11-14 years ago. Seems that the subjects aren't the only sedentary people involved in the study. Wonder how much worse it is today?

Lol: "Forty-nine percent were male, the rest female."

• Glad they cleared up what the rest were
  • This is because the data came from studies from 2003 to 2006. Using current data, they'd probably have a few more categories to be "more inclusive."
Oops, I think I just missed the point of the article...
I thought the same thing....

One of the most physically active people I know is 60. He could run circles around most 19 year olds.

He could run circles around most 19 year olds.
umm. nar. until the 19yo's actually got up and started running circles. Then ol mate would show his age.

not harsh. Just the likely truth of the matter. Its good to convince youself it'd be the case though. just so you could tell those darn kids to get off your lawn one more time! :p

Fools. Kyle is secretly delidding his new Coffee Lake cpu... with his shotgun...

I can't hardly get one of my kids do anything but keep the couch from floating off into space. The other one has ADHD so can't keep him off the ceiling.

umm. nar. until the 19yo's actually got up and started running circles. Then ol mate would show his age.

not harsh. Just the likely truth of the matter. Its good to convince youself it'd be the case though. just so you could tell those darn kids to get off your lawn one more time! :p
You'd be surprised how many 19 year olds failed their simple PT test when i was still in the military while the older guys were "running circles around them". If you sit on your butt all day, even a simple 1.5 mile run becomes a marathon.

One of the most physically active people I know is 60. He could run circles around most 19 year olds.

Being physically active is why he made it to 60.
The others who where sitting around all day are busy pushing up daisies.

Really?

I remember going on hunting trips with my old man and his company foreman. Now I was 16 ish back then, so the old man was at least 38 ish. He and that other old fucker could march my young dick right into the dirt. I was dragging ass and everything else by the time we got anywhere out in that wild country we were hunting in.

Later, I'm in the Army, it's 1990 and I'm in Korea. I'm 30 years old, smoke two packs a day. I can run two miles in 12:05 and there isn't any young 19 year old Private that can keep up with me. I could run and sing and those young bucks knew without any doubt that they couldn't take me.

Now I'm old and fat, and like to remember my glory days ... sue me :cool:

So I was reading a few jobs posted to LinkedIn today. One of the jobs had a "physical requirements" section: 1. Must be able to sit at a desk at least 50% of the time. 2. Must be able to get to other parts of the building. 3. Must be able to work with a computer for a majority of the day.
I think I have found my perfect job! I will actually get promoted in the first year because I can sit at a desk AND use a computer 110% of the time. (Ok, my story is not exactly related except to say I'm lazy and won't every be in Kyle's lawn.) . I'm also somewhere between the age of 19 and 60.

Overqualified, sorry....

He and that other old fucker could march my young dick right into the dirt.
Says more about you then it does them. Secondly.. one anecdotal story about your own level of fitness (or more accurately.. the lack thereof). does not take away from the

fact that young people are born "charged" even if many are not that fit.

If you think a few in shape oldies takes away from the fact hat young people are... well.. young. Then you're just kidding yourself.

Of course... this isn't taking anything away from those peeps that are getting on and staying fit. Kudos to them. But you're being intellectually lazy if you think that i was saying some older people cant be fitter then some younger people.

So yes... really.

I would agree that a lot more lawn-walkers are far more sedentary. But to assume they are there for less fit overall then 60yo's because they aren't as active is silly. they are still freshly charged batteries with plenty of capacity. They just aren't using it. And yes. Thats bad for them. :p

Last edited:
If you sit on your butt all day, even a simple 1.5 mile run becomes a marathon.
Certainly does, Cptn Obvious. ;) But again... pretty "high end" rare example. Not many 60yo's doing them there tests now is there? And i know where my money would be on which group would fail more then the other in that example just the same. And again.. not because 60yo's can't be fit nor that 19yo's can't be unfit but because the 19yo's are... . 19.

Says more about you then it does them. Secondly.. one anecdotal story about your own level of fitness (or more accurately.. the lack thereof). does not take away from the

fact that young people are born "charged" even if many are not that fit.

If you think a few in shape oldies takes away from the fact hat young people are... well.. young. Then you're just kidding yourself.

Of course... this isn't taking anything away from those peeps that are getting on and staying fit. Kudos to them. But you're being intellectually lazy if you think that i was saying some older people cant be fitter then some younger people.

So yes... really.

I would agree that a lot more lawn-walkers are far more sedentary. But to assume they are there for less fit overall then 60yo's because they aren't as active is silly. they are still freshly charged batteries with plenty of capacity. They just aren't using it. And yes. Thats bad for them. :p

Keep thinking that young ends at 22. But you go to any military in the world and look at their killers, they are not early twenties, they are predominately 30+, mature men who are in good shape are more powerful then men in their early twenties.

"Most [SEAL Team Six] members are in their 30s, and even up past their 40s," says Don Mann, who retired from the squad in 1998, at 40.
http://www.newsweek.com/newsweek-rewind-inside-seal-team-6-249319

Patriot's Linebackers
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-bowl-starting-rosters-for-patriots-falcons/

Patriots Linebackers

Ninkovitch 32
Mclellin 28
Hightower 27
Mingo 26
Van Noy 26
Roberts 23

Falcons Linebackers

Wheeler 32
Beasley 28
Worrilow 27
Reynolds 26
Campbell 24
Keyes 24
Jones 22

Obviously these men do not represent "average", but what they do represent is the pinnacle of male development. When I was in the Army at the top of my game, I probably could not have made it through selection for the Seals, or, since I was Army, Delta Force. But in a company of 200 soldiers, only one could outrun me and that guys ran like a natural, he almost floated. Some runners posses a grace that I never would achieve no matter my devotion. Still, 12:05 for two miles on a plain street roadway is nothing to sneeze at, not when you also smoke 2 packs a day, drink your fair share, etc.

19 Year Olds as Sedentary as 60 Year Olds

Last edited:
It seems no one knows how to do practical things which require physical activity any longer. All the jokes about women not knowing how to change a tire and whatnot now also apply to men (air quotes around that, because of the new perpetual boyhood of younger males.)

I cannot say I'd be any different had I been born later. I'd like to think I have an innate drive that would keep me from being a know-nothing videogaming vegetable, but who knows how my younger self would have navigated and been affected by today's society.

Back