19" LG LCD w/ 1600:1 Contrast - 2ms Response

Molingrad

Gawd
I just saw this monitor at best buy and checked the specs on it. 2ms response with 1600:1 contrast ratio. Its not that expensive at $400 or so.

How is the quality on the LG monitors?

I wanted a LCD for gaming etc. but was looking for fast response this looks like it

link

I, for one, don't know too many people who could even begin to tell the difference between 16.2 and 16.7 million colors. . .

Oooska said:
I, for one, don't know too many people who could even begin to tell the difference between 16.2 and 16.7 million colors. . .
even pros wouldn't care with that kind of contrast ratio.

6-bit means it doesn't have true 32bit color. So, if you don't mind a lot of your colors not being the same as everyone else's colors, then that's fine.

If the viewing angles weren't piss poor, we'd be alright.

I'd much rather have an IPS panel anyday, but 2ms and 1600:1 is impressive.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was dynamic contrast ratio and not the normal definition. It's the same way that the home theater LCDs have contrast ratios of 3000:1 and beyond.

Oooska said:

Take a 6 bit panel next to an equivalent 8 bit panel...you WILL see a difference especially in darker games/shadowinf that has fine gradients....

Very impressive. I had read about this monitor in a press release from LG a while back, but I wasn't aware it was available yet. Thanks for the heads up. Here's a link to the item on Best Buy's site.

I've been looking for a strong gaming monitor, and I like the fact that I can probably view it (and return it if need be) locally.

Those of you with CRTs or real 8-bit panels, there's a simple test for you to see the difference....Just set your wallpaper to Windows XP or Bliss, look at it for a little bit, and then right-click the desktop and under 'Settings', change 'Color Quality' to 'Medium 16-bit' and then apply the changes. Then look....You will see immediate banding and pixelization where there wasn't any, and on Windows XP Pro wallpaper, it almost looks like waves in the background, unlike 24-bit and above where everything is smooth. They do use some kind of interpolation on 6-bit panels though so the difference is not quite as drastic, but it's there.

Yeah I am using a 6-bit LG 17" right now, and its great, but its true that in darker scenes the dithering can really show. Overall, because of the sharpness and response time, which arent nearly as good as the monitor in question now, I still love it, although not quite as much as my 2005fpw.

Back