19"/16ms or 17'/12ms?

dexth77

n00b
Hello. I'm new to this forum :)

I am thinking of getting a new lcd to replace my old 17' CRT monitor. This will be used mainly for watching dvd and gaming. I have 2 choice in mind, the Benq FP931 or Samsung 172X. Both are almost the same price but Benq is 19" 16ms vs Samsung 17" 12ms. So, which is more important: response time or size. I would gladly choose size, but I read some user review a little bit of ghosting on the benq (but overall good), besides, benq isn't that fanous for it's quality. Samsung on the other hand is known for quality products and no ghosting at all as reported in reviews, but 17"?
Is there any other good option? My budget is below 450 usd, but the cheaper the better :D

Thank you.

Hi and welcome :)

there is a 19" 12ms from viewsonic, specs below :D

Viewsonic VX912B X Series 19" LCD Monitor - Black (MO-014-VS)
The distinctive VX912b LCD display offers a full 19" viewable screen in the space of a standard 18" display. CLEARMOTIV™ 12MS VIDEO RESPONSE delivers HD video at an amazing 83 frames per second for true broadcast-quality video. The VX912b offers a HIGH-RESOLUTION, LARGE SCREEN for word processing and spreadsheet applications as well as the 400 nits (typ) high-brightness for gaming, motion pictures and photo viewing. OptiSync® connectivity and the ThinEdge, ultra-slim bezel design allow you to build multiple-display configurations that enhance productivity and accuracy while expanding your gaming experience. The VX912b is an excellent choice for video/web conferencing, gaming, e-learning and video editing applications.

- 1280x1024 Optimum Resolution
- 500:1 Contrast Ratio
- Viewing Angle 140° horizontal, 160° vertical
- 12ms Response Time
- 250 cd/m2 Brightness
- One Analog Inputs
- One DVI-D Input
- DVI Cable Included
- 3 Years On-Site Warranty

i haev a 16ms 19", in the form of an acer al1912b, and its nice and big, great picture, but awful ghosting in fast fps games (quake3, ut2004).

i really dont know how this would compare to the benq 19", which had decent feedback at newegg, since i am unsure how responce time ratings vary by manufacturer

^It's more about the quality build of the product. A 12ms can and should easily play things with 0 ghosting. However, a 16ms can beat out the 12ms as well, all depends on the products quality.

I've got a Benq FP937s.. 19'' and 12 ms. Had if for a couple of months now and so far its great.

Should be able to find it somewhere for that price, its recently come down.

You can get the Sceptre 19" 12ms for about the same price. No ghosting in games, and excellent brightness. Check it out at newegg.

B

Get a 20.1" Viewsonic VP201b @ 16ms and don't look back. :D

Yes, it cost more than the 19" & 17" flavors, but the 1600x1200 is worth it's weight in gold. And anyone who tells you that you can tell a difference between 12ms and 16ms lcd's is blowing a whole lotta marketing sunshine up your anus. The 4ms difference is undetectable by human eyes...it's just a weiner measuring contest between companies.

Here is GamePC's review :
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=vp201b&page=1

Good luck.

Stangs55 said:
Get a 20.1" Viewsonic VP201b @ 16ms and don't look back. :D

Yes, it cost more than the 19" & 17" flavors, but the 1600x1200 is worth it's weight in gold. And anyone who tells you that you can tell a difference between 12ms and 16ms lcd's is blowing a whole lotta marketing sunshine up your anus. The 4ms difference is undetectable by human eyes...it's just a weiner measuring contest between companies.

Here is GamePC's review :
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=vp201b&page=1

Good luck.

haha.. I find it interesting that an online store is reviewing their own product and unsurprisingly says that its "the best LCD ever". I'm not trying to say its a bad monitor, but if you're looking for a real unbiased review, I say look elsewhere.

three4seven said:
haha.. I find it interesting that an online store is reviewing their own product and unsurprisingly says that its "the best LCD ever". I'm not trying to say its a bad monitor, but if you're looking for a real unbiased review, I say look elsewhere.

okay....i have one.....it's as good as they say.....i'm not biased and i don't sell computer parts.....

check out tomsharware's article they did explaining their new method for testing LCD monitors, it is quite impressive, and if you take the time to understand everything they are talking about quite informative too. One of the main points you can walk away from that is the knowledge that 12ms response time is only the FASTEST it ever gets, where as a high quality 16ms response time many times is a better overall performer and under most conditions will have a better responce time than the 12ms panel (and usually better contrast to boot as the faster panels sacrifice some to gain that faster responce time).

Back