1809 update constant restarting

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

So installed a new SSD (970 EVO Plus) into my OMEN 15, fresh Win 10 Pro install, did no migration. Installed all drivers etc etc, ran windows update for the system, all good. Then 2 days ago it says it needs to install 1809, sure, let it install and restart. Didn't think anything about it until about an hour later I get another restart prompt for updates, I again let it restart, and on restarting I checked what update it was....But it showed 1809 twice, I then went back and it showed it was checking for updates....It then found 1809 again and started DLing and installing and then asked to restart, it does this any time you check for updates. If I don't pause updates it will do it every few hours to every hour.

I have checked the system for corruption, I have restarted, cleared and checked windows update for corruption. I have checked windows for corruption, I have uninstalled all windows updates, cleared all temp data, windows update data etc etc and let them all install again, same exact thing after all the others reinstall. I have the system how I like, so I don't want to do a fresh install again just a few days later, but it's looking like it.

Keep in mind the update DOESN'T show as failed, it shows it still needs to restart, but then just keeps finding 1809 over and over again and reinstalling, yet the system still shows 1803. When it restarts it does show it installing the update, it never says anything fails, but it never seems to actually install.

No background processes are running, I don't use an AV, or anything like that.

AOAb2NLh.jpg

why not just install with latest build from the get go? (as in start with 1809) instead of outdated build and have it update all over again?

The ISO was downloaded about two months or so ago and used for 3 other PC's, not something I think about for every install, nor did I think 1809 as it is now would be such a crap shoot.

It started freaking out the other day, asking to reboot every 5mins and sometimes hanging not letting me do anything, so I just did a fresh install again. Whatever the problem is had to be pretty bad and nothing I could find would fix or even find anything wrong. I wasn't going to waist more time on it.

I updated several 1709 and 1803s to 1809 a week or two ago. No issues. But with the semi-annual channel Win10 you always have to be ready for problems with big updates. I guess some driver or installed software causes this because so far I had absolutely no problems updating any Win10 or Server 2016/2019.

Trust me, 1809 was borked from the get-go. Think I finally had to use the Update Assistant to get it to take--either on laptop or desktop--don't recall which now. These semi-annual updates are a bit much--always break the way things are set up or undo some settings. Detest having to go through that twice a year.

yes this is the same more or less build that got pulled, delayed over fucked updating.....way easier to do a clean install with it cause the dam thing will demand to update anyway...or it will at least nag you to. my laptop updated fine but my desktop for some reason needed a clean install from the get go

Back