1800x and 1700x not worth over 1700

Luka

Limp Gawd
From what i see a way to go is 1700 because it overclocks as much as 1800x and saving almost $200.

Your thoughts?

Yeah I need to see more test on all 3 OCed before I decide. I am in no rush, but right now it looks like the 1700 is the way to go but for some reason I think I will end up going 1700x.

Yup, just got back from Microcenter with a 1700.

What cooler came with the non-X 1700? I'm going to be building soon, starting out with the air. If the stock cooler is decent I will save the coin to put towards a full water setup at the end of the summer.

From what i see a way to go is 1700 because it overclocks as much as 1800x and saving almost $200.

Your thoughts?

Where are you seeing overclocking tests of the non-X 1700 vs the 1800X?

"We were able to get 4.1GHz running as a final clock for all cores but it wasnt our version of 100% stable and the temps were rediculous so we opted to go for a fully stable 4GHz and drop the volts right back down."
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_cpu_review/5

If you want the best out of R7 lineup, you don't need 1800X. This reviewer is able to get about 4.1GHz from 1700 non-X, though with a dangerous amount of voltage.

202.png

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_1700x_1700/4.htm

That 1700 even beats 1800X after overclocking. I guess it might just comes down to silicon lottery.

What cooler came with the non-X 1700?

I too got a 1700 and Asus Prime X370-Pro from Microcenter and the cooler is very nice. An aside, I went into Microcenter about 11:30 am and I was the only person buying Ryzen. They had balloons, a big Ryzen display and even a guy with a mike announcing Ryzen.

Well that's hopefully, I'm willing to bet the 1500 is going to work out the same way then.

1700 might be a great choice, just depends if they consistently reach the same clocks as the X chips.

Some reach 3.9GHz with 1.35V while others struggle to get past 3.4...

Depends on your luck I guess.

I just posted this in another thread, but seems appropriate here also.

I just got back from Microcenter in Westmont, IL. Before I went I checked the website and they only had 3 boards: MSI B350, Asus Prime B350-Plus, and some pitiful looking Asus micro-atx, not sure now on model number. When I was there the sales people showed me other boards that were not on the website. Not sure what's going on, but the stores may have a better selection than the website says. The store had some Gigabyte B350 Gaming and Asus Prime X370. That Asus Prime X370 really looks nice but is a bit spendy. I went cheap and got an R7 1700 and Asus Prime B350-Plus. The Crosshair sold out fast according to the sales guy, and they only got around 10 to begin with which didn't help.

The Asus Prime B350-Plus has a few things that really annoy me, but it was cheap so I can overlook some things a bit. First thing is the size and that fact that it only has 6 mounting holes. One whole side of the board is unsupported. Oh, and the size makes the edge just hit the standoffs on the right side which could maybe cause shorting issues so you have to take out 3 of the standard ATX standoffs. Very annoying. If they were going to make the board smaller then make it so it misses those standoffs. The US site for this board has squat for bios updates, QVL, etc. You have to go to the global site. Just delete the /us/ section of the URL. There have been 3 bios updates so far which is good. Asus seems to do a good job with updates so I'm happy about that.

The R7 1700 cooler has a copper center, and it's pretty huge compared to the old FX heatsinks. It mounts with screws. How you might ask? Well, you need a screwdriver to take off the plastic mounting brackets, but you keep the stock backplate. The backplate has the built in standoffs for the heatsink screws. No more levers and clips like the old days. The heatsink has the normal 4 pin connector, plus an RGB cable. You have to pull out a rubber plug on the heatsink shroud to plug in the cable. It takes some effort and I was at first a bit nervous doing it. This is of course a big purchase so I didn't want to break anything. I don't really care about or want any extra lighting, but I plugged the cable in anyway.

I picked up some G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 from a guy on Craigslist today after work. It won't boot with XMP enabled, even after the bios update, but maybe later after a few more bios updates are relased it will work. It was an insane deal on the ram so I can't complain: 16GB (2 x 8GB) for $60. It's over $130 on newegg.

I guess that's enough for now, I better get some sleep.

Some reach 3.9GHz with 1.35V while others struggle to get past 3.4...

Depends on your luck I guess.

seems unlikely a processor with a 3.7ghz turbo clock would be unable to reach 3.4Ghz...

seems unlikely a processor with a 3.7ghz turbo clock would be unable to reach 3.4Ghz...
I mean 3.4 across all cores. 3.7 boost speed is achieved by a couple of cores at stock while the other cores are idling.

Fake news! While there are definitely wide variations in 1700 overclocking abilities, and most will not overclock to 4.0 GHZ, I am sure all can reach 3.4 GHZ on all cores.

Would you share the links for those reviews that were not able to do 3.4GHz with 1.35V on a R7 1700?

I already ordered the 1800X cause well I wanted it. I'll get it on water and let you guys know how far I can get it.

Fake news! While there are definitely wide variations in 1700 overclocking abilities, and most will not overclock to 4.0 GHZ, I am sure all can reach 3.4 GHZ on all cores.

Dunno man. I just tell what I heard. I'm going to buy a 1700 soon. Hope mine would reach 3.9GHz with 1.35V stably.

it is too early to dismiss good or bad reports as fake news.
AMD never promised 4GHz for the 1700, unlike Intel who said those who did not reached 5GHz on kaby lake were ocing it wrong....it feels weird for a 1700 to not reach 3.4GHz, but i am inclined to hear more people about it.

So anything that paints AMD Ryzen in a negative light is fake news then? Sounds more like you're doing damage control for Lisa Su for free, lol.

Seems like if you are overclocking then the 1700 is the way to go. Once you overclock the XFR gets disabled. The chips from what I have seen are all very close in overclocked performance. Also, I don't like the voltage these chips seem to need to get to 4.0. 1.45v on a 14nm chip is frightening. Heck I'm only comfortable with 1.35v on my 2500K which is 32 nm.

Seems like if you are overclocking then the 1700 is the way to go. Once you overclock the XFR gets disabled. The chips from what I have seen are all very close in overclocked performance. Also, I don't like the voltage these chips seem to need to get to 4.0. 1.45v on a 14nm chip is frightening. Heck I'm only comfortable with 1.35v on my 2500K which is 32 nm.

1.45 Volt is still fine with a capable cooler if you don't mind shortening life span of the chip a bit.

1.45 Volt is still fine with a capable cooler if you don't mind shortening life span of the chip a bit.
I have a NH-D14 which is still a pretty darn good air cooler. I know it's a combination of temp and voltage that wears out the CPU, I'm just a bit skeptical of running that much through a 14 nm chip. Not saying you are wrong, just my gut says it's not a good idea if you want to run that chip for 5 years or so. I probably could get more out of my Sandy Bridge CPU, but I don't constantly want to be tinkering with things, I found a stable OC whit a 24 hour Prime test at lowish voltage and haven't had to touch it since then.

It is not so much about fake news , but it is about small sample size. If there are a few thousand R7 1700 overclocked then you would have a better idea on what is possible.

I have a NH-D14 which is still a pretty darn good air cooler. I know it's a combination of temp and voltage that wears out the CPU, I'm just a bit skeptical of running that much through a 14 nm chip. Not saying you are wrong, just my gut says it's not a good idea if you want to run that chip for 5 years or so. I probably could get more out of my Sandy Bridge CPU, but I don't constantly want to be tinkering with things, I found a stable OC whit a 24 hour Prime test at lowish voltage and haven't had to touch it since then.

If you are uncomfortable with that then don't. :)

Back