$180 27-inch monoprice IPS monitor 2560x1440 refurbished

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
yep from the pictures at least, only DVI-D, and VGA

I plan on selling my 144hz ASUS and the rando 1080p next to it to offset this cost.

Don't need/want 144hz/TN anymore and the larger real estate should render the 2nd monitor unnecessary.

Can't wait!

Have one of these from... 3 or 4 years ago, use it as my current main, and love it! If you have a calibration software, it helps a lot, and makes this a great deal! Ordering a second one now.

*Edit: Chill15 "worked", and then didn't when I went to order... Ah well, still a good price!

If the 30" 2560x1600 was LED instead of CCFL, I'm sure I would buy one or two. RIP 16:10 :(

It lists, "Ultra-thin bezel" under the specifications. Am I the only one who has a much different definition of ultra thin bezels because the bezels on that monitor look HUGE in the pictures...

It lists, "Ultra-thin bezel" under the specifications. Am I the only one who has a much different definition of ultra thin bezels because the bezels on that monitor look HUGE in the pictures...
You know better the then believe marketing. It could be considered subjective since there is no define what makes ultra thin.

Got mine, the screen was literally falling off the front of the monitor when I took it out of the box. RMA opened. Going to roll the dice until I get a decent one.

Would a converter work, or you think it's not worth dealing with? I mean I'm sure it'd work, just curious on your opinion w/ the ti

I honestly don't know. I used a dp to hdmi adaptor with my r9 390 to get 4k 60hz on my 4k TV and it worked almost flawless most the time. But for awhile on Windows 10 I could only do 1440p until amd did a driver update, I had to be on win 7 to get 4k back then.

I don't think it would work / be worth it. I know the hdmi to dvi adaptor that comes with the card is single link only. It's that dual link that's a killer. Fastest dual link you can get is a 1080 or Titan x I believe.

I read that Monoprice buys their monitors from the same Korean company that Apples buys their monitors and sells them as the Cinema version. The difference being that Monoprice buys the rejected monitors that Apple does not want to buy because they have very tiny defects in them. Does anyone know if that has changed or not? I heard about this the very first time Monorpice started selling those monitors so I wonder if it has changed by now.

Not sure about them buying the rejects, but I just got mine in, and I'm already RMA'ing it. Screen was shattered, and glass was all over the box. Odd thing was that all of the packaging is still in great condition. Why is it that the smaller the glass shards, the more they seem to hurt when you get stuck by one?

Not sure about them buying the rejects, but I just got mine in, and I'm already RMA'ing it. Screen was shattered, and glass was all over the box. Odd thing was that all of the packaging is still in great condition. Why is it that the smaller the glass shards, the more they seem to hurt when you get stuck by one?
So that's two that have been put in the box very broken. Why would monoprice try to sell this stuff? It's just costing them more in shipping them back and forth..

edit.. collecting insurance from shippers?

They likely don't know. I bought a guitar a couple weeks ago that arrived without any outward signs of damage. It was double packaged in two large boxes with zero damage. When I got to the actual product box I noticed a lot of outside ware but it still wasn't apparent that the goods within it would be damaged. Open it up and it's just destroyed! Strings popped, Floyd rose tremolo busted out, scratches and scrapes all over the guitar because the tremolo and it's springs had been moving around inside the package and scratching the guitar up... and worst of all! a crack in the neck. Called the place up and had to go through the whole process to get a refund. But it was a big company with many warehouses. I'm guessing they didn't inspect the contents of the box before shipment, but it was probably already damaged in the warehouse before it was ever packaged to come to me.

I imagine that the company did file a damage report with the shipper though....

LOL... DVI is electrically the same as HDMI, get a $1 converter or a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. I don't see the problem.

Single link dvi yes. Dual link no. There is a difference unfortunately.

I'd avoid. I've seen multiple dead 2560 x 1440s in short time frames sure to a bad PCB. Warranty is gone on mine.

My RMA should be here Saturday.... Let's see what this round brings. I think if I get another bad one, I'm just going to request a refund.

Out of 7 refurbished Monoprice monitors 3 were bad. I think their "refurbishing" doesn't include testing after they "fix" the monitors.

2nd try was the charm! Nice monitor, even though the enclosure sucks. Will keep and see how long she lasts.

Down to $150 by the way.

Well, 2nd one just showed up, and while the glass is intact, and it powers on, nothing displays but a few discolored lines on a black background. Can't even get the Menu to pop up, and the monitor rattles when it's moved... RMA #2 incoming for them. Wonder if it's better to just get a refund and pay the now cheaper price, or to iust say the hell with it and not try again.

Last edited:
I would return and pay lower price.

My problem was I think you need a defective monitor for them to pay return shipping - and my second one works. That and I already sold my old 144hz.

wow, that website sucks now. Seriously, you have to browse through monitors or search? No filters?

Did a full return on the 2nd RMA, and placed a new order. Price is $139.99 now with free shipping today... about $60 less (including shipping) than what it was at first.

And now, now this deal has gone from Hot, to dead damn cold. Got the "new" (post full return) monitor in... and this one worked for 5 minutes at 1080p (it would not go to 1440 like it's supposed to) and then... nothing. Black screen. No OSD. Nothing. Let's see if the 4th time is a charm. When I call them tomorrow, I'm going to ask if they are actually testing these before they go out. You also cannot buy them anymore when I checked today.

The answer is probably no, but any idea if these monitors can get clocked to around 120Hz+?

no, they arent. everything else under their brand is very high quality. a bad batch of refurb items is a massive oversight, however.
"Monoprice is an American online retailer that sells generic branded consumer electronics under its namesake private label"

Quote from Wikipedia. Generic usually means cheap, but not necessarily i guess. Personally I like their cables, and im not afraid of buying their brand.

Sheesh, monoprice is literally trying to dump their junk instead of writing it off.

no, they arent. everything else under their brand is very high quality. a bad batch of refurb items is a massive oversight, however.

They are a cheap brand, that's their whole core business to sell slightly higher ql chinese knockoffs. Everything they sell source from the far east and rebranded. The only high end products they have are the monolithic amps and the electrostatic headphones. Did you think they have the engineering prowess to design those?

Generic usually means cheap

it can be a crapshoot in general, certainly, but the vast majority of products monoprice rebrands as their own are higher, rather than lower quality. their monitors are alright. their cables, headphones, IEMs, monitor mounts/arms, & a ton of other items are very good quality.

theyre cheap, but thats not wat the poster i quoted meant. he meant chintzy, & thats not at all accurate. either way, this situation with their refurbs has got to be embarrassing for them. hope they make it right to the folks who got in on the deal.

And now, now this deal has gone from Hot, to dead damn cold. Got the "new" (post full return) monitor in... and this one worked for 5 minutes at 1080p (it would not go to 1440 like it's supposed to) and then... nothing. Black screen. No OSD. Nothing. Let's see if the 4th time is a charm. When I call them tomorrow, I'm going to ask if they are actually testing these before they go out. You also cannot buy them anymore when I checked today.
Good luck man. I paid $200 shipped - $139 plus shipping is a great price (once you get a working one).

Monoprice has really gone downhill since about 2013 when they started selling monitors.

Remember when all they sold were cables?.......

Back