175.16 - NVLDDMKM.dll error still happening... anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update. My friend had 8800gtx's and he bought a gigabyte UD3R-SLI motherboard (X58) and an i7 920 and he had the EXACT same issue as me, he had 8800gtx SLI. He ended up getting radeon 4890, now no issues.

So beware, x58 + 8800gtx sli = it isnt going to work well.

Has he manually set the memory timings?

After my most recent re-install of Vista, I got THE ERROR. Then I remembered to set my memory timings manually and I haven't had the error since.

Whenever I run 3dmark06 at the end of the sea-monster-jumping-over-the-floating-boat-thing test, I always get the nvddmkm.dll error( i think ) , except it says that the driver stopped working, but then it says that the driver resumed working properly again right after that. I'm running integrated Nvidia Geforce 6150SE graphics w/driver 182.50 (yes, i was running 3dmark06 with onboard gfx. :eek: lol). I don't even know if that's the correct error as what this post is referring to, but the problems and symptoms sound the same....

so I finally got to the end of this thread trying all the fixes as I went along as I still have the problem. I get the nvl.sys error very occasionally while using the internet or watching video but every time when I play a game. The machine is brand new as well (custom built). The longest I've ever played crysis for is about 20 minutese and that only once. I've tried each stick of ram in each slot 1 at a time and still no change so I don't think it's that.
I've tried all different versions of drivers with no difference. However I did try the new 185.68 beta drivers which gave me no BSOD just turned the monitor off and forced a hard reboot.
I think I down to only 2 more things. It's either a faulty graphics card or the motherboard. I'm gonna see If I can borrow a friends graphics card to see if it makes a difference, if not then I'm gonna buy a new mobo.
:(

EDIT:

specs-

G31-M7 TE biostar motherboard
zotac 9800gt synergy edition
4GB 800mhz ram
intel quad 8200 processor @ 2.33Ghz
vista premium 32bit
1TB hard drive
500W power supply
on-board realtek sound

What do you think has more chance of fixing it - a new graphics card or a new motherboard (considering my current mobo is a piece of crap) ?

specs above ^

Last edited:
Just an update on my side:
RMA'd the motherboard to Asus and they returned the same board as they could not duplicate the issue (which I failed to notice until I actually reinstalled it again and duplicated the issue) http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1408542. After some complaining I eventually got another one and the problem is now solved and going strong for a few weeks now. So in my instance it was the motherboard, but that's pretty rare as far as my experience. I really believe it was the 2 caps causing the card to not be fully inserted as I have built a total of 3 machines with this combination (260GTX and P5Q-E) and this was the only one that had an issue.

What do you think has more chance of fixing it - a new graphics card or a new motherboard (considering my current mobo is a piece of crap) ?

specs above ^
My problem was from a motherboard but that was pretty rare in my experience. I would make sure the memory settings were specified in the bios and also the voltage was correct.
90% when I have seen this it's memory related. Make sure to exclude memory as the culprit by setting your memory settings within the bios (including voltage) and run memtest to make sure that doesn't fail. I would also reseat the VGA card just to be sure.
Also what case and cooling do you have implemented?

Last edited:
I don't think that it's the memory as I have tested it again and again but I guess it could be heating because the only fans are the cpu fan and the grpahics card fan (which are both turned up to 90% using rivatuner). I'll try adding another fan and if that doesn't work then I'm gonna try to install windows xp.
:rolleyes:

I don't think that it's the memory as I have tested it again and again but I guess it could be heating because the only fans are the cpu fan and the grpahics card fan (which are both turned up to 90% using rivatuner). I'll try adding another fan and if that doesn't work then I'm gonna try to install windows xp.
:rolleyes:

Yep, need some case fans if you don't already have them.

well I thought I would just let you guys know that I fixed my problem by getting a new graphics card. Everything seems to be working ok *touches all wood in sight*. Good luck to everyone else. :)

So I just thought I'd throw my experience out there. 9 times out of 10 my whole system just freezes (including all audio) for maybe 10 seconds or so, then it goes back to normal. The other 1 time out of 10 both of my screens go black, everything freezes, and then the system recovers and it gives me the display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Although it is generally random, it does seem to happen most often when I open a new application after the system has been semi idle for a little while (i've been watching a movie on one screen and then try to open firefox).

I tried doing a complete wipe and reinstalling vista, but although it seemed to work for the first few hours, it quickly started up again. I sort of wonder if it was because vista tried to download and install some nvidia drivers for me before I could install the ones I wanted. I've also read that if at any point windows update fails while trying to install an update you will get this problem.

Probably like most of you, ive tried removing my cpu overclock, using various driver cleaners, installing really old drivers.

lol, well I thought I'd experiment a little and now things are worse than ever. I moved my card from one pcie slot to the other one. I installed the latest drivers and things seemed good. In fact, they are more or less good, except I can no longer game. I no longer get the random stuttering, or the black screens with a recovery after a few seconds. However, whenever I try to play l4d after a minute or so everything freezes permanently and I have to reset the computer.

Of course, I'm also wondering if this has something to do with temperatures. It's about 88 degrees F in here right now so maybe that's affecting things.

Edit: Never mind, I still get the black screen and driver failed and recovered error. So basically I'm worse off than ever before.

Last edited:
Most of the time when I get the error it's when I have SLI enabled. Even then it only really happens to me in certain games. TF2, CoD, occasionally Crysis.

When I turn off SLI most of the issues usually seem to go away.

I had originally thought it had to do with temps so I cranked my GFX cards to 100% fan... I may have seen an improvement but it's probably just placebo.

I had a perfectly stable system untill I installed the 182.50 drivers. Then the freezes / BSOD's came on fast. Removed the 182.50 (+safe mode driver sweeper etc) and tried various versons (beta above and a few below), no good.

Went back to the original CD that came with the card, turned out to be 182.06. So far, so good.

Strange thing during this trail and error process, at one stage did a Windows update and it showed an nVidia driver update, did that and it was ver 17x.xx (can't remember exactly). Seems a bit old to be an update, maybe its the last stable version that Microst knows about...

Finally got XFX to RMA my card.

Never got the error during a game but got it when opening up videos or right at boot up.

Reinstalled OS on brand new formatted drive and got it after clicking on Internet explorer. That was the last straw.

The one that I did have was resolved via a motherboard RMA that was mentioned earlier after tracking it down with spare equipment (exact duplicates and other brands) and troubleshooting. Both my son and I run similar hardware (same motherboard and video card), and I'm glad it was resolved outside of the hassle with ASUS for that motherboard RMA. My son is still running the same EVGA 260GTX and the RMA'd motherboard without issue.
Good luck.

until error no longer happens. Had same issue with XFX XXX 8800 GTX was factory OC to 630 could not handle it. I went back to stock speed not factory oc and error disappeared. I bought thermaltake heat sinks and VGA cooler and brought temps down 20 Celcius. Crappy thermal pads and crappy fan. Seems Quality Control was to blame. Moral of it try down clocking and see what happens. If comes stable downclocking its either thermal pads or GPU fan. If doesn't improve by downclocking then its the card or motherboard.

I've been getting this since August of this year. Screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back. This only happens in heavy 2D raster applications: PhotoshopCS4 32/64, IllustratorCS4, Global Mapper 11. If I have any 3D app open (ZBrush/Rhino/Maya/Lightwave/MotionBuilder), the crash will kill that app. I can run 3D apps/games all day, run them all at the same time on the highest settings and this will not happen.

At first I thought it was Adobe as it only happened with Adobe apps. After going back and fourth with support, we figured it was hardware issue. So I went and set up an RMA for my BFG. Realized I didn't need to do it after I got the new card, and ran the test with my wifes 9800GT.

• Bought a new videocard (BFG won't advance RMA to Japan).
  • Update of sytem bios
  • Reset bios
  • CPU temps are good
  • Uninstalled drivers
  • Uninstalled drivers in safe mode
  • Videocard stress test, passed with flying colors on all 3 cards (295/285/9800GT).
  • Uninstalled drivers in safe mode with a tool to remove all traces of drivers
  • Changed nVidia control panels based on info from forum/support
  • Monitored card performance (see image). The spikes are when the error occurs on both my BFG 285 OC and the 295 that replaced it. I installed my wifes 9800GT and still get the error. After the error occurs, the graphs hold at that mark.

(295 graph)
HardwareMonitoring.jpg

System specs:

• 700WPSU
  • Vista Ultimate 64
  • Asus MAtx w/Quad Core 2
  • 8GB Ram
  • 4x Seagate 1.5TB HDD's
  • Memory Card Reader
  • SATA DVD/CD burner
  • Inno3D GTX 295 Plat. Ed.
  • 2 case fans
  • Scythe CPU cooler.

Nothing has been OC'ed ever. Things I am thinking of doing: Buying a new PSU/Mobo and re-install of the OS and jumping right to the latest drivers. OR re-install of the OS and go to the older pre August 09 drivers. Being that I am a contractor, don't wanna blow money where it's not needed (again) so OS install is next. But if the system still crashed with the 9800GT then it can't be the draw on power, which would mean if I do replace anything, it should be the mobo first.

Since I've installed Win 7, no more problem.

If I can get Win764 and give it a spin, it might be the answer. Only problem is software, if mission critical software doesn't run, then I gotta find another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back