1700x vs 2600

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Micro center has the 1700x in-store for 140$ brand new. I am looking to retire my 2500K setup finally. I was looking to pair this with an Asus Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming board and some decent 16GB Kit of DDR4 using the ebay Coupon deal.

So the board and CPU is 290$ out the door with tax for the 1700x. I don't do alot of content creation, mostly gaming and some virtualization stuff. Would the 2600x be the better buy as it should clock a bit higher and has better turbo/boost settings built into it?

The 2600x out the door with the same board is 312$

As I understand it, the 1700x doesn't come with a cooler and is gen 1 Ryzen. The R5 2600x comes with a cooler, is gen 2 Ryzen with all the new bells and whistles, but is only 6C 12T vs 1700x at 8C 16T. That $290 for the board and CPU will need an additional amount from (ballpark) $30-$100+ for cooling from a nice fan heat sink to water cooling. Now the 2600x comes with a Wraith cooler which can be resold for something (guessing here) akin to $20. So, the 2600x - 20 is $292. Technically that makes the 1700x cheaper; on the base cost w/o a fan. Now we add cooling to both. The 1700x has more cores, would run hotter because of older tech and those more cores. This would require a good fan and then as you can see the cost of the 1700 will surpass the 2600 because the cooling of the 2600 will allow for the use of lesser cooling as it would not have such a high heat. Not sure if my brain on forum makes sense, so I shall state that the best buy for you would be the 2600x.

As I understand it, the 1700x doesn't come with a cooler and is gen 1 Ryzen. The R5 2600x comes with a cooler, is gen 2 Ryzen with all the new bells and whistles, but is only 6C 12T vs 1700x at 8C 16T. That $290 for the board and CPU will need an additional amount from (ballpark) $30-$100+ for cooling from a nice fan heat sink to water cooling. Now the 2600x comes with a Wraith cooler which can be resold for something (guessing here) akin to $20. So, the 2600x - 20 is $292. Technically that makes the 1700x cheaper; on the base cost w/o a fan. Now we add cooling to both. The 1700x has more cores, would run hotter because of older tech and those more cores. This would require a good fan and then as you can see the cost of the 1700 will surpass the 2600 because the cooling of the 2600 will allow for the use of lesser cooling as it would not have such a high heat. Not sure if my brain on forum makes sense, so I shall state that the best buy for you would be the 2600x.
should mention I have my current h50 with dual 120mm fans in pull config with the correct am4 bracket already. So no cooler needed. But this also brings up 2600 as well because it's cheaper then the 2600x

should mention I have my current h50 with dual 120mm fans in pull config with the correct am4 bracket already. So no cooler needed. But this also brings up 2600 as well because it's cheaper then the 2600x

Well, then, that changes things a bit. Actually, I'd still go with 2600 (non-x) because you can over clock well and with your cooler it should work very well. Make sure you have high clocked ram and in dual channel. That thing should work very well for what you want it to do. Also, you can still sell that Wraith cooler for some extra bones :p

If you're going to go with a lower IPC solution, at least get your cores... I vote 1700X.

<Excite!> I hope those leaked rumors are true because what I am look at is the 3700x! That chip will make my dreams come true! </Excite!> It is still rumor and conjecture, but I have my hopes up. Even if they don't beat Inhell, they'll be close enough to the right spot in price point that it will still be the better value! I, however, have an ambition to put an Inhell discrete GPU with my next AMD setup...the BLASPHEMY! Lol! :p

edit: Might also just include an nVidia card too so that I have all my bases covered and am a fan of all tech :D

edit: Might also just include an nVidia card too so that I have all my bases covered and am a fan of all tech :D

Hell, I have all three (well, integrated Intel) in my rig right now...

Just can't update the drivers for the AMD GPU, their driver guy can only do so much...

Last edited:
Hell, I have all three (well, integrated Intel) in my rig right now...

Just can't update the drivers for the AMD GPU, their driver guy can only do so much...

Cool beans! :p Gotta be centrist as fan boi of one over other means you lose out of the other's tech :)

I got the 1700X with ASUS Strix B350F at Microcenter about 2 weeks ago when the combo was $199. Paired it with a GTX 1070 for a friend - it works great!

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5448943

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17485395
My 2500K and 16GB ram is no slouch. I know the 2500K even at 4.2GHZ is bottle neck some but my monitor is 1440P 60hz so it should allow me to limp along will next gen Ryzen chips come. I mean 8c/16t in a mid range chip that can boost to 4.4GHZ and has IPC improvements sign me up. Thats a great upgrade.

I just went from a xeon 1231v3 haswell 4c8t to a ryzen 1700x, honestly at sub 4ghz, the ipc is pretty much on par with the old chip. Having the 4 extra cores and 8t make for a pretty nice boost in productivity stuff. If the Zen 2 can hit those prices / performance the 3700x would be killer to get upto 5ghz and hopefully give Intel a real run for its money. One thing to keep in mind is the CCX on Ryzen chips really shines with fast ddr4.

I just went from a xeon 1231v3 haswell 4c8t to a ryzen 1700x, honestly at sub 4ghz, the ipc is pretty much on par with the old chip. Having the 4 extra cores and 8t make for a pretty nice boost in productivity stuff. If the Zen 2 can hit those prices / performance the 3700x would be killer to get upto 5ghz and hopefully give Intel a real run for its money. One thing to keep in mind is the CCX on Ryzen chips really shines with fast ddr4.
thanks for sharing. I hope the 3600 or 3600x brings AMD closer to Intel on single threaded preformance

I added a second gaming/media machine using Ryzen 1700x. My main machine still runs a 4790k OC to 4.8Ghz. On single threaded application and in PC Mark 10, 4790k machine is still quite a bit faster than the Ryzen, but for some reason when I tested Lightroom, which I normally run on 4790k, I feel like 1700x is smoother, produce less stutter and subjectively feels faster when editing photos. This bodes extremely well for the Ryzen chips and I can't wait to get Ryzen 3000 series when that comes out.

Still holding on to my 3770k until they release the new CPUs. Waited this long. What's another couple of months?

What's the projected release date for these new CPU's? I've got an i7-2600K that I'd like to replace.

Back